The WriterBerries Thread

Good luck! I’m sure you’ll make it

1 Like

Best of luck Ellory!

2 Likes

I’m really struggling with my story right now. It’s not exactly writer’s block because I really want to write and I have ideas, I just can’t figure out what the endgame of my story looks like and I feel like I need that before I go further. The advice I’ve seen is to take a break but I feel like I’m so close to cracking it and if I lose focus, I’ll lose my place in figuring it out.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

Oh man, sorry about that :frowning_face: I don’t really have any advice. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have someone you let read it, or who you talk in-depth about it with? If you don’t want to take a step back yourself (totally understandable) bringing in a pair of fresh eyes and hearing what they have to say about it may help?

2 Likes

I have a friend reading it currently. I’m not sure if he’s far enough along to give me advice on like the arc of the entire story (he’s helping me with the next draft of book 1, whereas I’m trying to work on the next ones). I’ve just started reading a new book so I’m hoping it will spark something.

2 Likes

What helps me most when I’m stuck is music. A song gives off a certain vibe for me, and I try to capture it in writing. From there it just… goes on. I wrote an entire story based off of [name_m]Elton[/name_m] [name_m]John[/name_m]’s “[name_f]Tiny[/name_f] [name_u]Dancer[/name_u]” once. It works very well for trying to find an exact way to capture a moment or scene, but it an also be very helpful in sparking new ideas.

2 Likes

(Met my goal for the day!)

@SparkleNinja18, it seems like you don’t know where to go (am I right?? I’m just guessing). For some reason, I think this happens to me like every 3,000 words! I think the best way to battle this is to look through what you have so far, and just make a bulleted list of everything that’s happened. Find where loose ends can be tied up, what would make the most satisfying ending.

If that’s not your thing, I’d recommend mapping out every possible option, each on a sticky note. Write out the pros and cons of each possibility. And if you pick the wrong option, it’s going to be frustrating, but you can always rewrite. If you don’t ever write, you can’t see what will and won’t work. Maybe you don’t find the perfect plan, but you find how to not write it.

Also, I like to read other books, even if in a totally different genre. It’s kind of like the music thing @EllieWilbury was talking about. It helps get the juices flowing, opens up those fixed thoughts you get tangled up in.

1 Like

@EllieWilbury [name_f]Music[/name_f] is such a wonderful inspiration! The first story I plotted in my fantasy world (the one that spiraled into the story I’m writing now and that I hope to get back to someday) was partially inspired by “Castle” by [name_u]Halsey[/name_u]. I’ll have to go looking for some new music (it’s almost time to make my next monthly playlist anyways!).

@Ellory Congrats! We love to see it!

Right now, I feel like I’m holding a whole bunch of storyline threads, using them to navigate through the dark, and I’m trying to figure out where they end up. To completely oversimplify things, the first story I’ve written in the series is about my MC finding these magical gems. That led me to the second story, where she realizes that these gems are really dangerous if they land in the wrong hands. So I think the third story is about her trying to give the gems away so they’re separated but in the hands of people she trusts, but then I’m stuck with where that ends. Does she fail and decide to destroy the gems? How does that work? Where does/should that leave her because she has magic connected to the gems?

I feel like I’m missing an obvious question to ask that will lead me to where the story wants to go.

I love the sticky note idea! I’m hoping to purchase writing software that’s supposed to help with storytelling but I’m waiting because I want to get a new computer before I graduate in [name_f]May[/name_f] and I don’t know if the software will transfer devices (and I don’t really want to buy it twice).

2 Likes

Congratulations Ellory!

1 Like

Just realised I named best friends [name_u]Anne[/name_u] and [name_f]Annie[/name_f] :expressionless: Trying to decide whether I should change one, or make it a cute connection between them.

1 Like

hi guys how are y’all? [name_m]Just[/name_m] finished another pass thru my outline and am taking a break. I’m planning on starting drafting the first day of [name_u]February[/name_u], which is fast approaching. Got any advice?

3 Likes

i dont want to be a bother but knock, knock? anyone here?

I think I’ve figured out how to justify kicking my plot problems down the road so I feel better now :laughing:

2 Likes

I like to take a step back and write simply. If I’m struggling with plot or need to refocus the story, I’ll step back and write a simple paragraph summary or outline of the story to remind myself of the goal or focus. Same with character issues, I’ll step back and write a paragraph description of the character’s background or personality or desires to help me make decisions or refocus.

2 Likes

I get it :laughing: I studied film in univeristy so it’s my go-to medium.

1 Like

Mm, no advice other than to do what you’re doing by taking a break! Distance can give you clarity, a look with fresh eyes. Good luck with it! I’m the worst person to give advice, since I almost never outline :sweat_smile: At least on paper.

1 Like

I know friends named [name_f]Ella[/name_f] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f]? Maybe it’s okay?

1 Like

I can tell I get distracted when I’m writing when my paragraphs thin out. And my writing starts to look like this.

“See?” I asked.
“Oh, yeah,” the voice answered.
“Totally,” I agreed.
“Yeah,” they said. “I agree.”
“That’s cool.”
“Yeah.”

Ugh! So frustrating!

How’s everyone doing with their writing this weekend? :slight_smile: Good luck to all, I hope it’s as productive as you want!

3 Likes

That’s great! Having writing friends is so helpful.

1 Like