The WriterBerries Thread

@Ellory Those are great! I made a triplet set once and never used them for anything. Pearls, Diamonds, and Daggers is a great title!

@EllieWilbury oh my gosh that’s amazing!

2 Likes

Isn’t it great when you spend so much time working on names, just to realize they aren’t necessary? Never has this happened to me. Oh, definitely not.

2 Likes

Thank you!!! I was so happy! And congratulations to you as well!

3 Likes

Okay, now that I think of it, does [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] sound too much of a boy name to you? I mean, she has a very feminine middle name, and she herself is very feminine, but [name_m]Clarence[/name_m]? I was going to call her by the nn “[name_u]Clare[/name_u]”, but…
[name_m]Ah[/name_m]! [name_f]Do[/name_f] you have any thoughts? I don’t have any brain cells left.

1 Like

I would assume [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] is a boy, but I don’t think that means you can’t use it for a girl! You could swap it for [name_f]Clarice[/name_f] if it bothers you, or the unisex [name_u]Clancy[/name_u]. But I see no problem with calling her [name_m]Clarence[/name_m]!

2 Likes

I, also, would assume [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] was a boy. But I don’t think it’s at all unusable, especially because we’re talking about a character rather than a child, where the naming rules always seem much more relaxed.

3 Likes

We passed the 90,000 word mark today! Yay! I’ve been working on this since [name_u]November[/name_u] 20th and I’m nearly finished— woo-hoo!

Anybody else make any checkpoints, reach any goals?

4 Likes

Congratulations, wow, that is such an awesome accomplishment. How many hours a day have you been spending on it?

1 Like

Way too many :rofl:

Probably… between three and a half or four and seven, I’d think? I can’t give a really accurate number— I haven’t been keeping track too closely.

Thank you, by the way! :grin:

That’s so awesome! Have you shared much about it on here before? [name_m]Just[/name_m] joining this thread now, so I’m still getting up to speed with all the writers here!

1 Like

Not too much, so far. I’ve been mostly just barreling through, trying to keep up with the schedule I set. Looking back I think I may have made it a bit too ambitious— but it’s nearly finished now, so all’s well that ends well, I suppose. And thank you! I joined this thread pretty recently as well.

I haven’t made any progress on my older stories this week, but I might be starting one of my new stories tonight! Although I guess I need to name the main characters first :partying_face: One of the best parts or writing!

3 Likes

Yes! I have so many characters that I just named and never did anything with :rofl: And best of luck on your writing!

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m trying to figure out the style of naming for the second one. It’s a world where ghosts are known by everyone to exist, I’m not sure if the world is different in any other way…I feel like I can get away with the characters having unusual names. [name_m]Just[/name_m] need to decide the “language” of naming in their setting, if that makes any sense.

I’ve had soooo many characters I name and develop a bit but never write down.

2 Likes

That’s very cool! Your story sounds very interesting! Characters are always the most fun part of a story :grinning:

As a side not, here’s a slightly comical name problem I’ve had I thought I should mention now that I’ve started posting about my story…
[name_f]My[/name_f] main character’s name is Alastor with the nn [name_u]Astor[/name_u]. I often have masters and apprentices in my stories, because I’m quite fond of the master-apprentice dynamic— I like to write it probably the most out of any character relationship. But when you have the name [name_u]Astor[/name_u], you get sentences like this…

“If you say so,” [name_u]Astor[/name_u] said to his master.

Astor and his master walked away together.

“Thanks, Master,” [name_u]Astor[/name_u] replied.

IT RHYMES!!!

I don’t even know what solution I’m looking for— I am in love with the name Alastor nn [name_u]Astor[/name_u], so it’s so sad that this is happening! But it just makes me laugh so much :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Thanks!

Haha, that’s great :laughing:

2 Likes

Right now, I’m trying to decide if it’s time to start writing, or if I need to do a TINY bit more planning. Then, I’m gonna start. Really, all that’s left is to outline a couple character’s personalities, and name like three characters. I’m hoping to start writing tomorrow, and finish it by new year.
JK! I wish I could, though! :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Good luck!

1 Like

I’d assume [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] was a male and be surprised when I learn she’s not tbh, but it’s usable

1 Like

That’s why I gave her the middle name [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]. I’ll do this all the time, name characters one name, only to learn it’s usually a boy’s name, or what have you. I’ll probably change it to [name_f]Clarice[/name_f], or something else. But we’re keeping the middle name, mostly because I love making nods to characters from other books, or celebrities.
So, [name_m]Clarence[/name_m] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] was named after [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] [name_m]Baxter[/name_m] in the [name_m]Gallagher[/name_m] Girls series, a book series I kind of grew up with.