The WriterBerries Thread

Oh, it’s been a minute since we used this thread… Don’t mind me reviving it :sweat_smile:

I am, once more, considering writing a sibling story or unconventional/found family story.

Things I’m thinkin about:

• How [name_u]Hopper[/name_u] acts as a (semi reluctant) dad figure in Stranger Things, and [name_m]Joel[/name_m] essentially adopting [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] in The Last of Us
  • How in Supernatural [name_u]Sam[/name_u] and [name_u]Dean[/name_u] actually have a younger half brother, and all the potential there for the family dynamics shifting if the writers had given him more than like 2 episodes
  • How the Weasleys take in [name_u]Harry[/name_u] in HP and how The Foremans take in [name_m]Hyde[/name_m] in That 70’s show
  • How [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] and [name_u]Alex[/name_u], who are step siblings, build up their sibling relationship in the game Oxenfree so that [name_m]Jonas[/name_m] ends up being a bit of the stereotypical big brother.

I wanna write something with some of these elements… Like, someone taking in kids who aren’t theirs, or two close siblings finding out they have a half sibling, or a blended family… Idk. I just love all the family dynamic potential.

5 Likes

The Shadowhunter books also have a lot of family elements and that sort of thing (Don’t know why you’d want to know, but :woman_shrugging:)

1 Like

Family dynamics are indeed so much fun! After dealing with a story with more of a found family trope for a few years, the story I’m writing now has a bit of a blend. The four main characters consist of two sisters and two characters raised together like siblings, and I love exploring the relationships they build between each other! Recently in what I’ve been writing, I’ve dealt with the sisters’ home life and the other characters’ reactions to previous incidents and disagreements that went down between them and their moms.

6 Likes

Everyone out there writing, participating in NoNoWriMo or not, you are doing great, keep it up, you’re improving everyday :relaxed: :kissing_closed_eyes: :partying_face: :pray:

6 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone! So I’m writing a story where a girl is spending the summer before college at her grandparents because her parents wanted her out of the way while they’re going through their divorce.

I’m a bit stuck on where I want to start the first chapter though. Her reminiscing on when her parents told her they were getting a divorce and then her arriving at her grandparents? [name_u]Or[/name_u] should I just start it when her parents told her they were getting a divorce?

Any help would be great!!

2 Likes

hello! your idea sounds really cool, and your question is super valid. opening scenes are really tricky, and i feel like you very rarely nail them on your first try. however, here’s a few things to keep in mind when writing your opening scene:

first, i like to look at plot structures that are used time and time again, and in this case, we’re going to look at the three-act plot structure. if you’re unfamiliar with it, there’s lots of good content on youtube about it and a bunch of articles online. so basically, with this structure, you start off with a ~taste~ of what we’re getting into, what your character is like before their life is completely uprooted. which, in your case, is her parents announcing their divorce. before we can get to that juicy stuff, though, you need to show us a few things.

• who is your character? what kind of person is she?
  • why should i like her, and why should i care about her?
  • establish the setting and give us a little bit of backstory

this last one is tricky because what tends to happen a lot is the dreaded info-dump :tm:, where you just pile all the information into the reader’s lap. which isn’t fun at all. you kind of have to find the balance between “what the heck is going on???” and “whoa hold on who’s this third cousin twice removed and why is there a cat?” so what you’re looking for, really, is the “ahhh, i’m picking up what you’re putting down and i want to read more.” that balance where the reader has questions, but not too many. feel free to leave a little up in the air–you have an entire novel to develop answers to these questions. your readers can pick up on little things and they can just Not Know. that’s what makes books interesting, the not knowing.
so, establish where we are. is this taking place in a mythology-inspired british regency novel with dwarves, or present-day turkey?
establish your main character. who is she? why should i care about her?
then, set up the skeleton of your plot. your opening scene doesn’t have to dive head-first into plot, but it shouldn’t be irrelevant to the story either. what does her everyday life look like while also giving me a basis of what this book is going to be about. if it’s about a zombie-hunter in training, then show me what a training looks like. give me a little of foreshadowing of what’s to come before we reach the inciting incident (when their life is uprooted–again, this is three-act plot structure! super cool!).
one of my favorite authors wrote this thingy once about how she makes a three-chapter rule. if the plot doesn’t show up before chapter three, then some rewriting needs to happen. that might be something you stick with, and it’s something i find useful too. also!! remember!! this does not, in any way have to be perfect first try!! as a matter of fact, it probably won’t be perfect first try. use it to figure out your character, figure out your world and get something down. you can’t figure out if it’s right until you’ve written something wrong.
so, with this being said, looking at your options, it really depends. which one feels the most engaging? which one is going to show us the most of your MC? go with that one. if neither of them fit, then it doesn’t hurt to brainstorm something completely different! if you’re going with option A (her reminiscing on when her parents told her they were getting a divorce and then her arriving at her grandparents), then make sure it doesn’t get to info-dumpy. gradually weave in the divorce. if you’re going with option B (start it when her parents told her they were getting a divorce) then make sure you’re showing us a good taste of who the main character is and also make sure it’s not too info-dumpy. opening scenes can be an information overload!

so uh, this was a lot of information! i cannot stress enough that it doesn’t have to be perfect on take one, you just need editing and time. don’t be too hard on yourself. happy writing! also if i wasn’t clear on anything/you have questions, feel free to ask!

4 Likes

Thank you so so much! This is a big help and I’m definitely going to use your advice!!

1 Like

Running.
Running.
Running.
I like to run so I don’t have to think.
It’s just one foot in front of the other; it’s just focusing on the movement. On my breathing. That’s it.

But… it doesn’t help. Not right now. With each step, my thoughts keep circling back to the big one.

“Why did I hug him…?” I whisper to myself, though I already know the answer. It’s because he’s in pain. Because he was crying. Because he was on my bed, and sobbing his eyes out, and trying to hold himself together.

I’m approaching my favorite spot; my thinking tree. It’s a beautiful silver birch, with branches that drip low enough they seem to be extensions of its’ roots. I move the branches ever-so-slightly to sit at the base of the tree and curl into a small nook that fits me just right.

I only ever come to my thinking tree when I can’t run until the thoughts go away, and now is a perfect time to be here. [name_f]My[/name_f] breaths feel shaky, like I just can’t get enough oxygen to my lungs and if I do get enough I’m going to start crying.

It’s been so long since I’ve cried. Months, years? I don’t even remember. Maybe I need to cry. Maybe I just need to think. Confront the pain. Maybe.

thoughts?

3 Likes

It definitely works as a story hook, because it makes the reader ask questions. Who is “he”, when did this happen, why is a hug of all things a life-changing mistake?
I’d really like the next lines to answer at least some of those questions immediately, otherwise it’s like “Guess what!” - “What?” - “I’m not telling.”
I also like this intense, feeling/sensation-centered writing style that often comes with first person perspective.

2 Likes

I did not expect to get the question “why is a hug of all things a life-changing mistake?” in relation to my writing but I really should have-

2 Likes

awkwardness
just buckets of awkwardness
(ex., stumbling over words a little, using euphemisms from the 20s that Don’t Hold Up in modern day, and a little bit of fatalistic humor)

1 Like

:sparkles: [name_f]My[/name_f] Dearest Diary-Journal-Thing That I Keep On [name_f]My[/name_f] Phone, :sparkles:

SEPTEMBER 10th

[name_f]My[/name_f] speakers glitched out. Again! For the third (yes, THIRD) time this week. Either [name_u]Cameron[/name_u] or [name_f]Lore[/name_f] tried to turn the T.V. on. Again… I swear to the ever-loving-parents-of-I-DON’T-KNOW, it’s one thing or another. I can’t do this rn. I just Cannot. It’s to the point that I’m considering moving out. [name_u]Or[/name_u] getting them therapy. I just want to have a halfway decent sleep schedule. And to be able to grow flowers in the windows again.

Bye :))) I’ll update you (you? lol) later, Jazpie

feedback much appreciated

1 Like

Really good. I don’t understand some of it but I think it would make sense in context. But really good

[name_u]Merry[/name_u] [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]!

2 Likes

Aphrodite traced the rim of her glass with her forefinger as she spoke, her voice coated in splenda. “You’ll be there, won’t you, dear? At my dinner party?”

I cursed myself silently — I’d tried to look at her face, and couldn’t. It’s much easier to tell her off when you see her face. I knew she was smiling, weaving the words as she breathed them, as though it was second nature. Though, looking back, it probably was for her.

“…Lucien? Did you hear me, dear?”

I broke from my thoughts long enough to let a lie slip out. “Yes, I did, and yes, I will be there.”

She must have heard something in my voice that I didn’t, because she asked again, “Truly?”

“Yes, I did. And yes, I will be there.” That’s a lie.

Aphrodite stood, humming. “Great!”

And so she left, and I was alone, staring at a reflection of myself in a glass table, and questioning why I told my mother I’d be at a dinner party I had every plan not to go to.

Thoughts? :3

2 Likes

I’m working on a dark academia story. Are any of you familiar with the genre and willing to help me come up with related traits/quirks to give my characters? I’ve got some already but bet I’ve missed some cool ones.

@thatonewriter omg that’s awesome!! Belated happy new year :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m not super familiar with the genre, but why don’t you tell us a bit about your characters and what you already have in mind? I could learn some stuff!

2 Likes

Sure! I’ll put it under the cut since it’s like a paragraph each. And soon I have the fun part, naming them :smiley:

[name_f]Girl[/name_f] 1

Summary

Dark lipstick and nail polish. Gives handwritten letters to her friends sealed with wax. Quotes poems and gothic romance novels. Entranced by beauty. Frivolous. Wears an empty poison ring and a locket. Theatre girl. Also takes opera lessons. Tattoo of her teacup pattern. Presses flowers in books and then forgets about them. Sapphic poetry. Full of optimism and whimsical hopes. Embraces the dark academia clothing aesthetic; wears wool capes. Embroiders.

Boy 1

Summary

Horse boy. Chaotic academia. Makes paper airplanes from library books. Not above cheating in class. Has been caught writing notes on the inside of his desk. Gets into drunken philosophy debates. Illegally downloads books. Passes notes in class. Lazy. Plays chess but will tip the bored/throw pieces when he gets frustrated. Writes essays last minute but somehow still gets good grades on them. Has an eyepatch.

Boy 2

Summary

Grandiose, extremely pretentious. Ambitious. Loves astronomy, and also augary. Superstitious. Most prone to quotations. Vain. Argues with teachers. Good at fencing. Amazed at the vastness of space and time. Fascinated by history and legacies. Wants to leave a legacy. Loves museums. Immaculate hair. Can’t entertain small talk. Keeps a diary, which he hopes one day will be published when he is famous.

Boy 3

Summary

Ink stained fingers. Holes in uniform pants legs from tripping. Jots down words and their definitions on his wrists. Follows rules. Notebooks full of equations and anatomy charts. STEM dark academia. Fueled by coffee. Very precise despite never looking put together. Plays chess. Messenger bag is bursting with unorganized papers. Studies Latin because it helps him with scientific terminology. Always circles under his eyes. Meek.

The story itself is still in the works, but it has something to do with a demon summoned via an old library book.

4 Likes

Wow, I don’t think I can help you :sweat_smile: All these little things, though…they fit really well how you’ve sorted them into each character! I think Boy 1 is my favorite. It’s the horse boy with procrastinating essays, and throwing chess pieces.
In my very limited dark academia experience, I also remember…one being less wealthy than the others? Like, he came from a poor background, but was going to a very prestigious school because of his hard work, but still felt self-conscious about it.
Or maybe playing an instrument, like violin, cello or piano, and only playing one of the classic masters…or playing all but one of the classic masters. Not particularly dark aca, but having an object like a ring to twist when feeling nervous, but it’s an old, tarnished silver heirloom or something. Wearing gray, black, or dark brown turtlenecks exclusively in the colder months. Not sure if any of this fits in the genre even, but you’ve got a lot of good stuff already :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you so much @KJGlitter ! Boy 1 is my favorite too, ha. He’s the only one with anything close to a name right now, I think he’s gonna be Hershel nn Hesh.

I like this idea a lot, thank you!

1 Like