The WriterBerries Thread

Sounds interesting! Again, good luck :grinning:

1 Like

Iā€™m kinda curious, I think this was discussed a bit before, but what is everyoneā€™s favorite thing to write? Not just genre, but things like dialogue? Action sequences? Relationships, descriptions, foreshadowing? What do you look forward to writing out the most?

1 Like

I love writing dialogue so much! It reveals so much about a character in that situation: how theyā€™re feeling and how they act to that feeling, how they interact with people they like/dislike, how they speak and where theyā€™re from, etc. I have an entire section of notes on my phone where I jot down one-liners or snippets of conversations between characters whenever they strike!

1 Like

Itā€™s dialogue for me too! Thatā€™s one reason why I love playwritingā€“itā€™s predominantly dialogue. I really enjoy writing characters taking care of each other or being concerned for each other. Makes me happy to write that kind of relationship where theyā€™re protective and really care about each other.

2 Likes

I also like writing relationships! Friendships are my overwhelming favorite, especially those where the individuals are so close that theyā€™re like siblings. I also especially love when I can have 2 characters say that they love each other and have it be clear that theyā€™re really just close friends and not secretly attracted to one another.

3 Likes

Oh man, those types of relationships are the best.

1 Like

Dialogue is my favorite. Iā€™m having a lot of fun trying to connect dialogue patterns with the charactersā€™ cultural backgrounds + relationships. [name_f]My[/name_f] book character comes from a culture where poking fun at each other is common and friendly and this doesnā€™t always translate well in the US, but itā€™s also a sweet gesture when he uses it to communicate with his niece.

I love this too. I think this is more common among female friendships than male friendships and I want to show platonic intimacy between the two male best friends but also make it clear that it isnā€™t the norm in their social circle.

3 Likes

I love to use it for male/female friendships because those are the ones that I think the media tends to turn from platonic to romantic, even if thereā€™s no good reason, because of heteronormativity. But I love it for male/male friendships too!

4 Likes

Ah! This is a little late, but hi [name_f]Maie[/name_f]! Iā€™m Ellory.

I have many characters from different countries, and they are going to meet each other somehow. I was thinking about creating an international boarding school thing (cliche, I know) but Iā€™m now thinkingā€¦ what if they meet each other online??? Something like NB?!

5 Likes

I guess Iā€™ll answer this question about favorite things to write, too. (A few days ago I broke my computer charger while it only had 10% left, so my computer died, and I had to get a new charger.)
I love to write characters and everything that comes with it, like dialogue, relationships, etc. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite relationships are sibling-like relationships, especially older brothers and sisters. For some reason, almost all of my MCs end up being the youngest, even though Iā€™m a middle. I guess I just find younger siblings annoying.
I love writing girl/boy best friends, and leaving them at best friends. I also like writing friendships that feel like family, because I have one best friend who I could call my sister. We like to joke that our ten year anniversary is next year.
@ethelmary, I actually love boarding schools (even though heavily overused.) I especially like elite boarding schools, for some reason. And that part about NB. Thatā€™d be fun.

2 Likes

I love to write character relationships, and my favorite is master-apprentice. I also love to write description, but I have to cut myself off sometimes because I have too much and itā€™s boring for the reader :smile: I like family-like friendships as wellā€” those are fun to write.

1 Like

I had a dream last night where I changed the working title of my novel? Now Iā€™m considering it.

4 Likes

I am the worst at description! I literally have to look up pictures, then try to describe them.

1 Like

Iā€™ve decided to start the second draft of my story! Initially, I hoped to finish the first draft, but the story has changed so much over the last couple weeks as I (hopefully) strengthen the plot that it didnā€™t feel like it made sense to continue something that wouldnā€™t end up in what I imagine the final draft to look like.

3 Likes

@SparkleNinja18 congratulations and good luck on the next draft!

Iā€™ve actually been sticking to my schedule for the next part and writing a ~1000 word chapter every other day (sometimes usng the day in between to finish up or edit). So thatā€™s good! Iā€™ve also been planning a play, and I feel like Iā€™m so close to being able to start it.

3 Likes

I havenā€™t written in a couple days now, and now that Iā€™ve actually sat down to write, I feel so unmotivated! Iā€™m at the point where Iā€™m just skipping to a ā€œfunā€ part, so that I actually write. So, good for you, @AerieEerie! Because, right now, itā€™s a struggle, like, the point where you question why you actually did this, and if you should pick that other, really smart, really awesome idea thatā€™s so much better.

3 Likes

I love the name [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]! And [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] sounds great. But then again, so does [name_f]Selena[/name_f] [name_u]Morgan[/name_u], and [name_f]Selena[/name_f] fits with mythology ([name_f]Selene[/name_f] was the titan of the moon). Go with your gut. If you like [name_f]Calliope[/name_f], choose [name_f]Calliope[/name_f].

2 Likes

Argh, any ideas for alternatives to [name_u]Glen[/name_u]? This is my series I like to call: Ahh! I named way too many characters way too similar names! Iā€™ve already changed [name_f]Anya[/name_f]'s name to [name_f]Natasha[/name_f], so up next is [name_u]Glen[/name_u]!
Heā€™s 16 years old, had blonde hair a blue eyes, and is very athletic. Heā€™s basically a [name_u]Gary[/name_u] [name_m]Stu[/name_m]: super attractive, good at everything he does, and kind and funny. [name_u]Glen[/name_u] is much too similar to another name Iā€™m not changing ([name_u]Gabriel[/name_u], everyone calls him [name_m]Gabe[/name_m].)
Iā€™d like to keep his last name, which is Wilcox.
Ideas?

EDIT: Also while Iā€™m in my phase of doubt, Iā€™m considering swapping a characterā€™s alias for his real name. [name_f]Do[/name_f] yā€™all like Chadwick or [name_m]Stanford[/name_m] better?

Chadwick!!

How aboutā€¦

Stanley Wilcox
[name_m]Rhett[/name_m] Wilcox
Brettin Wilcox
[name_u]Gerry[/name_u] Wilcox
[name_u]Dale[/name_u] Wilcox
[name_u]Andy[/name_u] Wilcox
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] Wilcox
[name_m]Stuart[/name_m] Wilcox

1 Like