Theodore, Calvin, or Sullivan

Talking through baby names with the hubby. Think we’ve got it narrowed down to 3 boy names currently. We find out the gender of our baby next week so we’ll see if we even need it or not!

Our favorites are [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] (Theo), [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] (Cal), and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] (Sully). We would likely call him by his nickname. Our last name is L——er so trying to make sure it doesn’t clash.

Think our favorite is [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] right now but know it is super popular at the moment. I grew up with a very popular name and didn’t love being one of many with the same name in my class. Not necessarily a deal breaker tho.

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] have weird meanings to them. [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is bald one and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is black eyed one. Again just another thing to think about.

Thanks for any opinions or insights on your favorite of the 3!

1 Like

I adore Theodore and Sullivan! These are excellent names, all three. No wrong pick.

I don’t think their meanings matter very much. Every name means something and they can’t all be winners or have glorious, sweet meanings! I think of a sweet meaning more as a bonus than a deciding factor, personally.

:relaxed:

2 Likes

Yes it was #5 in our state last year!

1 Like

[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is my favorite. Although if only considering the nicknames I like [name_u]Theo[/name_u]. I like [name_u]Cal[/name_u] a lot too but I personally do not have positive associations with [name_m]Calvin[/name_m]. Much prefer other [name_u]Cal[/name_u] names like [name_u]Callahan[/name_u] or [name_u]Callum[/name_u].

2 Likes

All three are lovely!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourite is [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] for me meanings are a deciding factor and the meaning of [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] ‘gift of G-d’ makes this one the shining star from the pack. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is strong, handsome and well rounded he has a range of great nicknames he’s awesome. I think regarding popularity because [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] has a range of nicknames to go by if he does share his name with someone at school he could go by an alternative nickname. For me meanings are more important than popularity especially when it comes to classic names like [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] or [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] which always will have an element of popularity.

After [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] my favourite is [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] he’s fun and outdoorsy I like the nickname [name_u]Sully[/name_u] personally ‘black eyed one’ isn’t a bad meaning having black eyes isn’t a stereotypical bad description like bald head (Calvin) and I think he does feel unexpected which is a bonus.

I also want to second @Rachelhaydenberk suggestion of [name_u]Callum[/name_u]. I’m a lover of the nickname [name_u]Cal[/name_u] and if meanings are a deciding factor maybe [name_u]Callum[/name_u] with the meaning dove would appeal to you more!

Good luck

2 Likes

[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] and [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] are wonderful!!!

1 Like

[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] is my favorite of those.
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is nice too but like you said now quite popular.
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is okay but not really my style.

1 Like

Thanks all for your thoughts! [name_m]Just[/name_m] another comment is the girl name we like is [name_u]Waverly[/name_u] so that might be a sibling name someday if it’s a boy. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think either [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] or [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] sounds better with [name_u]Waverly[/name_u]?

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite of your choices is [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]! [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] (Theo, [name_m]Ted[/name_m], Teddy) is incredibly popular these days, and he would almost certainly have someone else in his class with the same name. I also think [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] would work with [name_u]Waverly[/name_u] in the future. I like that they both have a ‘v’ and that they both have 3 syllables.

1 Like

I think with a sister named [name_u]Waverly[/name_u] [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] would go better.

1 Like

Hmm, maybe [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]? Sully’s such a cute nickname and I love Sullivan’s meaning in Irish. It’s a fun, adventurous name.

[name_m]Calvin[/name_m] is nice too and I like the nickname “Cal,” but I think I prefer [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u].

1 Like

I love the name [name_m]Calvin[/name_m] but the meaning has always thrown me off. [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] was on my list though. I think it’s meaning isn’t as bad as bald one :joy: so [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] gets my vote.

1 Like

[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]

1 Like

[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u], and I also like it best alongside [name_u]Waverly[/name_u]. [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is nice too.

1 Like

What about [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]? The name feels very classic and grand and grounded, but the nickname [name_u]Sully[/name_u] softens it in a playful way. [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] and [name_u]Waverly[/name_u] are really great as siblings!

1 Like

[name_u]Sully[/name_u] :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like