Theodore or Arthur?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all, I’m having a baby boy tomorrow, planned Cesarean, for medical reasons. Placenta is failing and baby is no longer growing well.

My husband and I are still stuck between two names, our favorites are [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] or [name_m]Arthur[/name_m].
[name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is our frontrunner. If he was [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] we would use [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] or Ted as a nickname. But there’s a couple of things holding us back - My husband really dislikes the name [name_u]Theo[/name_u] due to connotations with people he has known and I think it would be hard to avoid people nicknaming him [name_u]Theo[/name_u] rather than [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] which we prefer. My mum also responded with “ew” when I said we were thinking of [name_m]Theodore[/name_m].
It’s probably only recently a more popular name where we live ([name_m]New[/name_m] Zealand) so it sounds a little much/trying to be posh to some people.

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] our other favorite I think will get a more positive response and is a family name on my side. I think the main thing holding me back is the lack of nicknames. It seems quite a heavy old fashioned name for a little boy and I don’t really like [name_m]Art[/name_m] or [name_m]Artie[/name_m].

Any thoughts? Also which name seems the strongest to you? Because our boy is being born early and a bit undersized due to the growth issue I would like him to have a strong name but one that doesn’t sound silly on a small boy (he will probably still grow though as his parents are both tall) :slight_smile:

I like [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and it avoids the possibility of [name_u]Theo[/name_u]. Plus, [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] means [name_m]Bear[/name_m] so [name_m]Bear[/name_m] or even [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] could be nn possibilities

I was going to say the same about the nickname possibilities for [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. [name_m]Bear[/name_m] or [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] feel totally natural to me, although I do love [name_m]Art[/name_m] personally.

It sounds like [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] is your favourite so I would normally urge you to go with that, and don’t worry about family opinions as they will very quickly get used to it once it’s attached to your beautiful son, but if your husband genuinely dislikes [name_u]Theo[/name_u] then it seems like a bad idea to choose a name which has it as its most obvious nickname.

All that to say… I think [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] feels like the best choice for you. Very best of luck! I hope everything goes smoothly and wish you both a speedy recovery.

I pretty much agree with everything @katinka said!
Ted/[name_u]Teddy[/name_u] definitely works for [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] because of the meaning, and you could also go for [name_m]Archie[/name_m]. Or AJ if he has a J middle name.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

There both great names. I feel like where I live in the midwest U.S., Theodores are everywhere. Honestly, I know a lot of Arthurs too, but I think that’s a fluke in my area of the city. It doesn’t seem to be that popular elsewhere in the U.S.

Anyway, I’d pick [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]. What about the nns [name_u]Ari[/name_u] or[name_m]Ace[/name_m]? I have a cat (I know it’s a cat, not a person, but my best example right now!) named [name_u]Artemis[/name_u]. I always call him [name_u]Ari[/name_u], & never feel the need to call him [name_m]Art[/name_m] or [name_m]Artie[/name_m]. So, if you like [name_u]Ari[/name_u] at all, it seems like that should work.

Calling your son [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] but trying to avoid [name_u]Theo[/name_u] could be tricky. I have a friend who’s eleven year old [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] has gone by [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] since birth. [name_m]Just[/name_m] last year the boy decided for himself that [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] was too childish, & wanted to be called [name_u]Theo[/name_u] instead. Have you considered [name_m]Edward[/name_m] nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u]? I suppose [name_m]Edwin[/name_m], [name_m]Edgar[/name_m] or [name_m]Edmund[/name_m] could work too.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

You really can’t go wrong either way, imo, but I am think I’m leaning toward [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] for you. I think if your husband isn’t keen on the sound of “[name_u]Theo[/name_u]”, then it’s probably better to go with your other favorite. I don’t really like “[name_m]Art[/name_m]” or “[name_m]Artie[/name_m]” either – too outdated for my taste. But I love “[name_m]Bear[/name_m]” as a nn for [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]! That would be my choice. :slight_smile:

My vote is [name_m]Arthur[/name_m]! I love this name. If it wasn’t my cousin’s name Id totally go for it! [name_u]Love[/name_u] the suggestion of [name_m]Bear[/name_m] and [name_u]Ari[/name_u] as nicknames.

I think both names are great! I do think [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] could be a bit of a problem if your husband really dislikes the nn [name_u]Theo[/name_u], as it could be unavoidable every now and then for someone to call him that. However, I do think you could set the precedent of calling him [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] which wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] is another great name and I think [name_m]Bear[/name_m], [name_u]Teddy[/name_u], and [name_u]Ari[/name_u] are all good nickname options. Or you could just call him [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], no nickname necessary! I think because it’s a family name it seems like a tiny bit better of a choice.

[name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] as a full name maybe? I think it sounds great!! Best of luck to you!

If you feel so strongly about a potential (and likely) nickname, I would go with [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] over [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. I live in the Southwest US and know of several Arthurs and Theodores here.

I’m from [name_m]New[/name_m] Zealand orginally! I think you can’t go wrong with either. Personally I prefer [name_m]Arthur[/name_m], but also like [name_m]Theodore[/name_m]. I will just say, soon to be grandparents can be a bit out of touch when it comes to baby names. My mother suggested some absolute shockers! I’d take any advice with a grain of salt.

I was named [name_f]Tamara[/name_f] with the express limit that I not be called “[name_f]Tammy[/name_f]” (my dad disliked that nn) and I never have been so I think you can (mostly) avoid it at least until he’s older and can decide for himself what he wants to to be called. I really do love [name_m]Theodore[/name_m] nn [name_u]Teddy[/name_u] but [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] is very handsome as well. He could also go by [name_u]Ari[/name_u]?