There's something about Mary!

See the results of this poll: Which is the most lovely and usable today?

Respondents: 153 (This poll is closed)

• Mary Grace : 18 (12%)
  • Mary Kate : 6 (4%)
  • Mary Alice : 40 (26%)
  • Marielle : 19 (12%)
  • Mariella : 14 (9%)
  • Maribelle : 10 (7%)
  • Marietta : 14 (9%)
  • Mary: 32 (21%)

I really like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f], but I would feel weird about using it with [name_m]Olsen[/name_m]. You could be right though that it probably isn’t too well known to make it weird now. I went with [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. I love those names together. I went to grad school with someone named [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f], so I have a good association with it. Good luck!

Now you have me humming this. Mary's A Grand Old Name - YouTube

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] did strike me as being a little awkward. I suppose it will wear off more in time, but all the moms will think of it.

I adore [name_f]Marielle[/name_f] and [name_f]Mariella[/name_f]. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] by itself is also nice. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] is a bit [name_m]OTT[/name_m] with the LN [name_m]Olsen[/name_m], [name_f]IMO[/name_f].

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is my favorite. I grew up in the south with quite a few [name_f]Mary[/name_f] ____ double-barreled girls.

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Beth[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elise[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Ella[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Hannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Jo[/name_u]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]June[/name_u]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kathryn[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Kay[/name_u]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Lou[/name_u]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Noelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] - Recent fav!
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Samantha[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Theresa[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Winter[/name_u]

I like [name_f]Marielle[/name_f] and [name_f]Mariella[/name_f] the best! The nickname [name_f]Mary[/name_f] works for both. (I agree that [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] + [name_m]Olsen[/name_m] is a bad idea.)

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]! It’s my name, and I get a lot of compliments on it.

Also, I know a young [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] who wears her name well, and I honestly doubt she knows who [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Kate[/name_f] [name_m]Olsen[/name_m] is. Most kids today won’t get that reference.

I’m going with just [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. It’s a beautiful, classic name, and I think it’s perfect on its own. [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Grace[/name_f] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Alice[/name_f] are quite pretty, though. I personally would use just [name_f]Mary[/name_f] with a really unexpected middle name to give the classic a little pop.

I forgot to put [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f] in the poll :frowning:

I was just about to suggest [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Claire[/name_f], I think it has a similar feel to [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] and sounds so pretty!!
I also love [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]!

[name_u]LOVE[/name_u] being a [name_f]Mary[/name_f] - though there were 8 of us in my first grade class in the 1960s. I was lucky and got to be the only “[name_f]Mary[/name_f].” Everyone else had to go by first and middle to tell us apart. I was the tallest [name_f]Mary[/name_f] in the first grade so by the time they got to me in the back row [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Ellen[/name_f] was taken - so - yayyy for me!

I met a [name_f]Mary[/name_f] the other day who goes by [name_f]Mary[/name_f] but grew up [name_f]Mary[/name_f] Careen. I thought that was kind of lovely and exotic compared to the [name_f]Mary[/name_f] middle names of my era.
I’d kind of love to see [name_m]William[/name_m] and [name_f]Kate[/name_f] name their baby-to-be [name_f]Mary[/name_f] so we can swing it back into the conversation for another generation! But, then, maybe your future [name_f]Mary[/name_f] will end up in a class with 8 others!
HaHa - not likely.

I love the simplistic beauty of [name_f]Mary[/name_f], it is a strong enough name all on its own, however if you do prefer a longer name [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] would be my favourites, I also like the suggestion of [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f].
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] is just too much with the last name [name_m]Olsen[/name_m], even without knowing your surname my first thought was of the [name_m]Olsen[/name_m] twins. Although her popularity is waning as a pp has said all the parents would know and that can be even worse (take it from someone who as a child had a certain 1960s song sung to her every time an adult heard her name!)

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is soooo pretty!

I like MaryJewel and MaryAster from your signature, and MaryToy (from Cold Sassy Tree, a wonderful book). I prefer [name_f]Mary[/name_f] with an uncommon, surprising second name the most - love those! I also really love [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] and [name_f]Merida[/name_f] and [name_f]Mirabeau[/name_f] - all kind of similar. I would steer clear of MaryKate with [name_m]Olsen[/name_m], personally. She’s still around, she still stamps her name on stuff, and she never looks happy!

I love just [name_f]Mary[/name_f] as a standalone. But my favourite version is [name_u]Marion[/name_u]. I also love [name_f]Marianne[/name_f].

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] is one of my favorites! I prefer [name_f]Mary[/name_f] to other double barrels.

I picked [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]! I absolutely love [name_f]Mary[/name_f], I’m not too keen on [name_f]Grace[/name_f], but the combination of [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] sounds beautiful! I really like [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] as well, though! :slight_smile:

[name_f]Mariella[/name_f] got my vote. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is all-around lovely, too.

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] is a great name that will always stand the test of time.[name_f]Marie[/name_f] is another great timeless name that sounds more global and versatile to me.

I voted for just [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. Other than [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f], I really think all of them are lovely and usable.

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] by itself is so versatile. My favorite way to use it is as a sweet but grounded first name with an offbeat middle.

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Lavender[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Sonnet[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Juno[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Sage[/name_u]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Azalea[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Sapphire[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Demelza[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Fawn[/name_f]
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] Japonica
[name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Lark[/name_f]

I honestly think it can sound great with almost anything.