Theresa/Teresa

[name]Do[/name] you like the name? What spelling do you prefer?

I love this name, and both pronunciations (I have heard tuh-ray-za and tuh-ree-za for both spellings) are nice. It is substantial, unusual, and has lovely connotations (Mother [name]Theresa[/name]). From a purely visual point of view, I prefer [name]Theresa[/name] - something about the H makes it look softer, in my opinion.

I don’t love it. I prefer the [name]Teresa[/name] spelling.

It is a very nice name!

I prefer the Irish Gaelis spelling of [name]Treasa[/name]. But out of the two ways you have, I would go with [name]Theresa[/name].

I like it! Like twinkle, I prefer [name]Theresa[/name]. It just looks prettier and more feminine to me. Good luck! =)

I like [name]Theresa[/name] a lot. It looks so wise and feminine, especially when spelled [name]Theresa[/name].

I like this name, but it will strike people as a very Catholic name. There’s nothing wrong with that, just something to be aware of.

I love this name, and especially the nn’s [name]Tess[/name] and [name]Tessa[/name].

I’m used the [name]Theresa[/name] spelling, my mom’s mn is spelled this way. I used to name my dolls [name]Theresa[/name] when I was little.

We pronounce it ‘Ta-ree-Sa’ in my family.

I would have loved to name one of dd’s [name]Tessa[/name] with [name]Theresa[/name] as full name but we live in the UK now and one of the main supermaket chains here is called Tesco. My maiden name sounded similar to Sears and when I was little people alway made fun and asked if I shopped at Sears - guess it’s scarred me a bit against names that sound like stores :wink:

Canadienne, don’t let Tesco put you off - I live in the UK too, and know several Tessas, and it had never even occurred to me. I’ve never heard anyone tease them about it either, and one was in my class at school.

Yes, good point. I’m sure there are much worse things that one could be teased for! I suppose it only occurred to me because of my experiences as a child. I shall add it back to my master list.

I think that both spellings are very pretty, but if I can only vote for one, I think I’ll go with [name]Theresa[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

This is good to point out! My son’s name is [name]Jacob[/name] and I get ALOT of “oh what a good [name]Christian[/name] name”. I find that is it rather annoying b/c that is not why we named him [name]Jacob[/name].

I had a big problem with this pre-baby. I didn’t like T(h)eresa but loved [name]Tessa[/name] and am generally against giving a nn for a first name. I never resolved my feelings and my daughter’s name is [name]Isla[/name].