Things To Mention When Asking About Names

If I missed anything or you think something is unnecessary, please drop it down in the comments below! ^^

THINGS THAT YOU REALLY SHOULD INCLUDE:

• Your surname’s first initial — For example, if your surname starts with a T, & you post WDTY of [name_m]Roman[/name_m] [name_u]Asher[/name_u]?, us Berries will probably catch what you obviously missed. :slight_smile: It also helps to avoid alliteration.
  • How many syllables are in your last name, so people can judge the flow.
  • If this kiddo will have older siblings — in the picture or not — ADD THEIR NAMES. It gives people responding a chance to not repeat names & also make sure that this potential baby name goes well with the siblings.
  • If you absolutely know that the next kid will have blank name, tell us that name. For example, If you’re having a girl but know your firstborn boy will be named [name_m]Kristoff[/name_m] [name_u]Andre[/name_u], people will know to pick names that go well with [name_m]Kristoff[/name_m] [name_u]Andre[/name_u].
  • Names you’re already considering for this baby. Suggestions are more helpful if we know your style! ^^
  • Speaking of naming styles, what is your style? Traditional names, creative spellings, Catholic names, nature names, et cetera et cetera. [name_m]Just[/name_m] something as simple as that will help a lot! :smiley:

THINGS THAT MIGHT BE HANDY TO KNOW BUT ARE OPTIONAL:

• Names you considered for any older siblings. It gives people more insight to your style.
  • Something your last name rhymes with, to avoid rhyming names. But this can easily be spotted without help, hence why it’s in the “optional” section. :slight_smile:
  • Cousin names, names of exes, family members you don’t want to honor, etc. etc. — Things you can’t use, ESPECIALLY if they’re common and/or flow well. ([name_m]Tip[/name_m]: You may want to add privacy filters to these names, so nobody can google this post. You can write [name_f]Mira[/name_f] as M!r@ & [name_u]Schuyler[/name_u] as S(huyl3r, for example. It’s good to include at least two special characters if you can, because some internet browsers see through them.)
  • Your country of residence — If you plan on moving to a different country in the immediate future, knowing that country would also be helpful.
  • Your ethnicity & the ethnicity of people around you& your child — If you’re Chinese and your husband is Mexican-American, people will suggest names that are easy to pronounce in Chinese, [name_f]English[/name_f], AND Spanish. (If that’s even possible, hehe. :slight_smile:)
  • If you’re comfortable with sharing it, your actual surname. It gives a clearer picture of what works with it. :grin:)

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

4 Likes

Handy list!

I’d say surname initial, surname syllables and sibling names belong on the optional list and your country on the first list.

Something else that I find very useful is an in dept explanation about why you love certain names and a list of names your partner likes.

2 Likes

I would say that a lot of these things are helpful but just wanted to add that whatever information you provide is completely up to you & everything on here is optional. Some people won’t be comfortable sharing certain details about themselves and that’s okay, we will still do our best to help them find the perfect name. But yes, knowing these things does make our task a little easier! I find it especially helpful to know what names are on someone’s “love but can’t use” list, in case I know a similar option that might work.

12 Likes

Haha, [name_f]Joanna[/name_f], [name_f]Leanne[/name_f], knew I’d miss some things! :slightly_smiling_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::hugs: :laughing:

I agree with the previous posters that country is very important (e.g. Florence is extremely popular in UK and barely in top 1000 in US). Agree about names they like! There are thousands of uncommon names, or just “whimsical” can remind totally different things to different people. Giving an inspiration is important.
Though it’s important to remember that they might not want to share personal info, and that’s okay :wink:

6 Likes

The fact Nameberry classifies “[name_f]English[/name_f]” as a name…

1 Like

And [name_m]German[/name_m] and [name_u]French[/name_u] :)))))

2 Likes

I can see [name_m]German[/name_m] as a last name (maybe first if you say [name_m]Roman[/name_m] is a first name.) [name_u]French[/name_u] could be a first name…I guess. Maybe a middle name. And [name_f]English[/name_f]…I don’t even know.
Weird.

1 Like

I agree with pp that style and general location are extremely helpful, but also that personal information (such as siblings names & surnames info) is optional.