Think: Colorado

Trying to get a [name_u]Colorado[/name_u]-vibe for baby boy #3. We love snowboarding, hiking, etc. Different but not weird or unpronounceable.

[name_m]Rocky[/name_m] ([name_m]Rocky[/name_m] Mountains) He loves this name.
[name_m]Ranger[/name_m] (mountain range) He likes this also.
[name_f]Copper[/name_f] (the resort- in keeping with [name_u]Aspen[/name_u] and [name_m]Brecken[/name_m] and CO~ didn’t realize the reference it gives some to police officers until nameberries pointed it out and that is NOT what I was going for, but I still think it could be pretty badass)
[name_m]Vail[/name_m] (Our [name_m]FAVORITE[/name_m] resort, but he thinks it’s a girl’s name, wish I could find a longer version so it could be a nickname.)
[name_m]Carver[/name_m] (like carving when you are boarding, but I think it’s too much like the all-too-common ‘[name_u]Carter[/name_u]’)
[name_m]Ryder[/name_m] (Ride snowboard brand and general snowboarding term- but he hears ‘Ride her’ and I think it may be too common.)

Thanks for any input, especially Americans since other countries might not get the vibe I’m going for. I’m due in 8 weeks so I feel like I need to get this name thing figured out!!!

[name_u]Denver[/name_u]? Or is that too much?

I’ve only been to [name_u]Colorado[/name_u] once, and that was almost ten years ago. The only names that give me a [name_u]Colorado[/name_u] vibe are the names of [name_u]Colorado[/name_u] cities…

Well after reading the title I was going to suggest [name_u]Oakley[/name_u] so… I’ll keep trying! Not sure how helpful I’ll be with my limited [name_f]Florida[/name_f]-girl knowledge but I’ve been on the slopes a few times, haha. Your children’s names are fantastic by the way. This is challenging, but quite fun. Here goes:

[name_f]Arbor[/name_f]* (like the brand; Also very tree-related so it goes well with [name_u]Aspen[/name_u] & [name_u]Oak[/name_u])
Alpine (a CO town; also a description of the snowy climate. NN [name_m]Pine[/name_m] would be cute)
Boulder (the town; Not sure if this would be too literal for a word-name though?)
[name_m]Burton[/name_m]* (the nn [name_m]Burt[/name_m] is a wearable name in and of itself. Or there’s also [name_f]Brighton[/name_f] as well.)
[name_u]Cedar[/name_u] (Cedarege; [name_u]Cedar[/name_u] trees. Might be a bit of a stretch but I like it’s sound)
[name_u]Denver[/name_u] (very obvious choice, but the [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Denver[/name_u] vibe makes it kinda cool imo)
[name_m]Hurley[/name_m]* ([name_f]Love[/name_f] this one, makes me think of the character from LOST as well as the brand)
[name_m]Oliver[/name_m] (or really any name that will give you the nn [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] could be very cute)
Ozark (Mountains; Though this name is probably too close to [name_u]Oakley[/name_u] for you)
[name_m]Pike[/name_m] ([name_m]Pike[/name_m]'s [name_m]Peak[/name_m]; Also the coldwater “jackfish” so that’s another nature tie-in)
[name_u]Shaun[/name_u] (White, I couldn’t resist. It’d go over better than Terje though, haha.)
[name_m]Teton[/name_m] (As in Grand or National [name_m]Park[/name_m]. Not sure if it’s enough of a name but it came to mind)
[name_f]Valen[/name_f] nn [name_m]Vail[/name_m]? (Hmm, I just looked at the description on the [name_m]Vail[/name_m] name page…)

I’m also thinking along the lines of [name_m]Cole[/name_m] or [name_m]Kier[/name_m] or another name that means “black” as in diamond… Good luck! =]

I like some of the names on your list. I get the vibe you’re looking for. Shame that [name_m]Maverick[/name_m] isn’t in [name_u]Colorado[/name_u]. I kind of like [name_f]Copper[/name_f] and thought of the metal, not the police. I also like [name_m]Ranger[/name_m] and [name_m]Rocky[/name_m].

[name_u]Oakley[/name_u], [name_u]Aspen[/name_u], [name_m]Brecken[/name_m] and

[name_m]Wolf[/name_m] - ski resort in Co. I think
[name_m]Fischer[/name_m] - for the skis
[name_m]Palmer[/name_m] or Osprey - You have [name_u]Oakley[/name_u], how about a competitor. [name_m]Palmer[/name_m] sounds good with the other names, Osprey have the cool nn [name_m]Oz[/name_m].
[name_m]Valiant[/name_m] - nn [name_m]Vail[/name_m]?

I like [name_m]Rocky[/name_m] and [name_m]Carver[/name_m] the best from your list and I think they go with your other kids’ names.

Here are some more [name_u]Colorado[/name_u] vibe suggestions:

[name_u]Canyon[/name_u]
[name_m]Ridge[/name_m]
[name_m]Hawk[/name_m]
[name_u]River[/name_u]
[name_u]Frost[/name_u]

[name_u]Micah[/name_u]
[name_m]Torin[/name_m]
[name_m]Aaron[/name_m]-Mountain of strength
[name_m]Albion[/name_m] -cliffs seen from the sea
[name_m]Anchor[/name_m]
Aneto
[name_m]Atlas[/name_m]
Barrow-Small mountain
[name_m]Bail[/name_m]
Belay
Brocken ([name_m]Brock[/name_m])
Caher
[name_m]Cliff[/name_m]
Cliffton -town by a cliff
Col
Delmont-of the mountain
[name_m]DeMonte[/name_m]- of the mountain
[name_u]Devi[/name_u]
[name_m]Dom[/name_m]
Eiger
Elbrus
Errigal
[name_f]Etna[/name_f]
[name_u]Everest[/name_u]
Feldberg
Finsteraarhorn ([name_m]Fin[/name_m] or Finster)
Gabal-from the mountain
[name_u]Gannet[/name_u]-a bird that lives on cliffs
[name_m]Gaston[/name_m]
Halland
[name_m]Haral[/name_m]- God’s mountain
[name_m]Hawk[/name_m]
[name_m]Hermon[/name_m]
[name_u]Jael[/name_u]-Mountain goat
Keder- mountain [name_m]Lord[/name_m]
Khyber
Kinnel- top of a cliff
[name_f]Kiri[/name_f]- mountain summit
Lindberg-Lime tree mountain
Malay-from the mountain
Mayan
Marom- means height or peak
[name_u]McKinley[/name_u]
[name_m]Montel[/name_m]-royal mountain
[name_m]Monty[/name_m]
[name_m]Nash[/name_m]- cliff
[name_m]Northcliff[/name_m]- northern cliff
[name_m]Oreste[/name_m]- mountain dweller
[name_m]Peak[/name_m]
Parvath- from the mountain
[name_f]Puma[/name_f]- Mountain lion
[name_m]Radcliff[/name_m]- red cliff
Rappel
Shail-a mountain rock
[name_u]Shan[/name_u]- mountain; wise one; little and rambunctious; Yahweh is gracious, Yahweh is merciful
Tahoma
[name_m]Tyree[/name_m]
[name_m]Tucson[/name_m]
[name_m]Vinson[/name_m]
Yukon
[name_m]Wycliff[/name_m]- white cliff
[name_u]Zion[/name_u]

Many of these are mountain terms, related to climbing or skiing…names of mountains…not neccesarily in [name_u]Colorado[/name_u]…or names that mean or relate to mountains

[name_m]Rocco[/name_m] or [name_u]Rio[/name_u]
[name_m]Durango[/name_m]
[name_u]West[/name_u]/[name_m]Weston[/name_m]

Thank you all for your input, I appreciate the time you took for your thoughtful feedback.
amydomsmom- I like [name_m]Burton[/name_m] and [name_u]Cedar[/name_u], also [name_m]Hurley[/name_m] and [name_u]Ollie[/name_u]. Thank you for the compliment on my other 3…I feel even more pressured now w/ #4!
bonnielyn- I’m glad I’m not the only one who didn’t think police when I heard [name_f]Copper[/name_f]- the metal comes to my mind as well. [name_m]Rocky[/name_m] and [name_m]Ranger[/name_m] are growing on me the more I say/think/read them.
sweetpeacelove- [name_u]Canyon[/name_u] has been on my shortlist for a while so I’m glad you brought it up! [name_m]Carver[/name_m] has a nice vibe, doesn’t it? I really like [name_m]Ridge[/name_m] until I realized when I’m yelling their names in order it would go: [name_m]Brecken[/name_m], [name_m]Ridge[/name_m]! No wonder I like it- Breckenridge is what I named son #2! I don’t think I can use it because of that! But I’m considering adding [name_m]Bridger[/name_m] because it’s similar but different enough. [name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_u]River[/name_u] and have for awhile.
mkmlvr- wow, you put some thought into this-thank you, I feel flattered! I need to let tham “marinate” before I can give a fair answer on most of them. The one that jumps out and grab me right away is [name_m]Nash[/name_m].

[name]Carver[/name] stands out to me. A second fave from ones mentioned is [name]Hurley[/name].

Most of my ideas were taken (I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_m]Nash[/name_m] though). Good luck with naming your little bundle of joy, I don’t believe I am the person to give you great suggestions as I am a [name_u]Cali[/name_u] girl.

I’ve never been to [name_u]Colorado[/name_u], but I hear it’s lovely! However, my principal in elementary school loved it there, and came back raving about it and showing pictures in all our classes. Sorry if I’m missing the mark, but I think of [name_u]Colorado[/name_u] when I hear these:

[name_u]Sierra[/name_u] (okay, the [name_u]Sierra[/name_u] Mountains aren’t in [name_u]Colorado[/name_u], but they still make me think of the beautiful Rockies, for some reason)
[name_u]Montana[/name_u] (same. I more think of the Spanish word for “mountain” than the state. Plus, it seems like a great cowboy name, and could be a very cool middle.)
[name_m]Estes[/name_m] (as in [name_m]Estes[/name_m] [name_m]Park[/name_m]?)
[name_u]Everett[/name_u] (makes me think of majestic mountains. Maybe because of [name_u]Everest[/name_u]?)
[name_f]Valen[/name_f] (maybe as a fuller name for [name_m]Vail[/name_m]? Or even [name_m]Valentino[/name_m]? I like just [name_u]Vale[/name_u]/[name_m]Vail[/name_m], though!)

Och, and I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] the idea of [name_u]Cedar[/name_u], it’s a huge crush of mine lately. I love your idea of [name_m]Ryder[/name_m], too. I worry about the “ride her” bit, but it’s common enough that I wonder if that really doesn’t need to be a worry anymore?

This might be really out-there, but is [name_u]Colorado[/name_u] too much for a MN? I think it could be cool. Or even a favorite town in [name_u]Colorado[/name_u], if it’s usable?

I had one last thought, and I’m not sure it really even is what you’re going for at all, but two of my favorite ministries/non-profits that I am really excited and passionate about are both located in [name_u]Colorado[/name_u] Springs. When I think of [name_u]Colorado[/name_u], I think of these two great organizations that do so much to help thousands of people. They’re not perfect, but a lot of what they do is very good, imo. Maybe you’re not looking for anything like that, but my mushy-gushy idealist bleeding-heart goes straight to that, of course. I’m not even sure how you would incorporate that into a name for a little boy, but that was one of the thoughts I had. And if [name_m]Hurley[/name_m], why not Compassion?

Good luck! Hopefully the others have been much more help than I probably have been, haha.

I’ve always thought [name_m]Vail[/name_m] would be a cool name for a boy. Hmmm… Eolus?

[name_m]How[/name_m] about Summit? I know a little boy named that, and it’d definitely fit a [name_u]Colorado[/name_u] vibe. :slight_smile:

I love [name_m]Vail[/name_m], but I sort of agree that it’s a girl’s name (I base this on the fact that I have known two girls named [name_m]Vail[/name_m]). However, I kind of dig [name_m]Rocky[/name_m] and [name_m]Carver[/name_m] and think they go nicely with your other kids’ names. But there are a ton of snowboarding-related terms out there (depending upon how obvious you want to get). You could very well name him [name_u]Ollie[/name_u], [name_m]Miller[/name_m], [name_u]Shaun[/name_u] or any of a dozen other names that are closely associated with the sport. I liked the suggestions of [name_m]Burton[/name_m] and Osprey.

Suggestions based on [name_u]Colorado[/name_u] geography:

Gunnison
[name_m]Laramie[/name_m]
[name_m]Hesperus[/name_m]

What about [name_m]Whistler[/name_m]? Also I second [name_u]Everest[/name_u], canyon and [name_m]Hurley[/name_m].