Thinking I need to start my list over from scratch

My daughter’s name is [name]Mattie[/name] [name]Mae[/name]. She was named after a friend who passed away right before she was born ([name]Matt[/name]) and my great-grandmother’s name was [name]Mary[/name] so we chose [name]Mae[/name] for her middle name since it’s a diminutive of [name]Mary[/name]. While I already liked the idea of a vintage nickname, I wasn’t crazy about all the Maddies, Maddys, Madisons, and Madelines she would be confused with. I’m proud of those t’s although most people don’t know about them until they see her name written down. I’ve grown to love the name [name]Mattie[/name] [name]Mae[/name] because it really suits her but I somtimes wish we would have named her [name]Matilda[/name] because I’m finding it very difficult to choose a sibling name for a future sister. We’ve already chosen a boy’s name (just in case) [name]Jackson[/name] Chief. Chief being a family name, believe it or not. When it comes to girls names, I feel like we’re stuck in the vintage name zone now. Here are some names we agree on, but nothing is feeling like “the one”.

[name]Savannah[/name]- although, my cousin had a half sister named [name]Savannah[/name] who passed away just after birth about 10 years ago so I don’t know if that makes this name off limits.

[name]Hannah[/name]- I feel like it’s too common and too popular, especially with our [name]Mattie[/name] and all those Maddies and Maddys out there.

[name]Maple[/name]- This name really has a special place in my heart. My husband and I honeymooned in [name]Canada[/name] (maple leaf) and [name]Maple[/name] flavoring reminds me so much of my great-grandfather. He was a sucker for anything [name]Maple[/name] flavored and would often take me out for [name]Maple[/name] donuts. And I’m a baker so… It just feels good to me.

[name]Aria[/name]- I love this name so much but it just doesn’t feel right with [name]Mattie[/name]. They’re so different and I think we would have to come up with a middle name that really tied [name]Aria[/name] back into feeling like a vintage name.

[name]Sadie[/name]- This was what we originally planned on naming [name]Mattie[/name] until she became [name]Mattie[/name] so although I love it, it still feels like it’s [name]Mattie[/name]'s.

[name]Corinne[/name]- We just discovered this name last night and we like it.

Eliza- Mattie really seems to like this one and we like it too.

Names I love that my husband hates: [name]Clara[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Lainey[/name], [name]Eve[/name] or [name]Evie[/name], [name]Sylvie[/name].

Looking for new suggestions and suggestions that include the names we’ve agreed on as well as thoughts on the names that we’ve agreed on. I’m also curious about the importance of naming sibling and how to know which names sound good together. Basically, I need a lot of help. I’m a name fanatic but I’m lost.

I like [name]Hannah[/name] out of the names you’ve listed. The others just aren’t my style, and I really, really dislike [name]Aria[/name] and [name]Savannah[/name].

Other suggestions:
[name]Asa[/name]
Mollly
[name]Lia[/name]/[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Mila[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]/[name]Anne[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Nan[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]/[name]Lina[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Suzanne[/name]
[name]Talia[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Emily[/name]
[name]Elisa[/name]
[name]Gabrielle[/name]
[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Mariella[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Lianna[/name]/[name]Liana[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]

I like [name]Hannah[/name] out of the names you’ve listed. The others just aren’t my style, and I really, really dislike [name]Aria[/name] and [name]Savannah[/name].

Other suggestions:
[name]Asa[/name]
Mollly
[name]Lia[/name]/[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Mila[/name]
[name]Elise[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]/[name]Anne[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Nan[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]/[name]Lina[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Suzanne[/name]
[name]Talia[/name]
[name]Emma[/name]
[name]Emily[/name]
[name]Elisa[/name]
[name]Gabrielle[/name]
[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Mariella[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Lianna[/name]/[name]Liana[/name]
[name]Nina[/name]

My favorites from your list are definitely [name]Maple[/name] and [name]Corinne[/name]. [name]Both[/name] of those are beautiful, and I love that [name]Maple[/name] is special to you - I’d definitely keep that as a top contender. I like [name]Sadie[/name], but it’s not a “wow” type of name to me. I’m honestly not a fan of any of the other three - [name]Aria[/name] is pretty but it’s kind of insubstantial and doesn’t work that well with [name]Mattie[/name]. [name]Hannah[/name] is way too popular and I just plain don’t like [name]Savannah[/name], sorry!

Here are a few ideas for you:

[name]Edith[/name] - Vintage, and I think nickname [name]Edie[/name] would be perfect with [name]Mattie[/name]. In a different direction, you could also get [name]Edie[/name] from [name]Eden[/name].

[name]Lily[/name] - I knew sisters named [name]Mattie[/name] and [name]Lily[/name] once, thought it was nice. Maybe too popular, though? I like [name]Iris[/name] and [name]Rose[/name] too.

[name]Sonya[/name] - I have no idea why, but this popped into my head when thinking about making [name]Aria[/name] vintage, so I thought I’d mention it.

Good luck!! :slight_smile:

I forgot to mention a few more names. My husband does not like [name]Edie[/name] (unfortunately) and we love [name]Lillie[/name] but it’s the name of my mom’s dog (which I named) and we also like [name]Sophie[/name] but it was the name of my husbands dog as a child and my step-cousin has a daughter named [name]Sophie[/name] (who I never see if that makes a difference). I’m really getting frustrated.

By the way, when I ask my husband what types of names he likes he says they just have to sound good. His only suggestions have been [name]Abigail[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name].

Our last name is very Scottish/Irish sounding and begins with Mc and has a long ee ending. It’s also kind of a goofy name used for a lot of cartoonish characters so the first name has to be kind of normal.

I like the special meaning you have for [name]Maple[/name], but I think [name]Mattie[/name] and [name]Maple[/name] are an odd pair, (and if you have another everyone might expect another M name and you don’t want to feel anymore limited). I would suggest [name]Maple[/name] as a middle.

I like:
[name]Savannah[/name] [name]Maple[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Maple[/name]

And I would suggest [name]Rosie[/name] [name]Maple[/name]. [name]Rosie[/name] has the same vintage nickname feel as [name]Mattie[/name], (but is more modern than plain [name]Rose[/name] and less popular as a first name than [name]Lily[/name]). [name]Rosalie[/name] [name]Maple[/name] could work too.

What are your thoughts on [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Maple[/name] with [name]Mattie[/name] [name]Mae[/name]? [name]Felicity[/name] just came to me and I think I like it. It’s not too popular which I like and it sounds very sweet.

W/[name]Mattie[/name] [name]Mae[/name] I like:

[name]Savannah[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Maple[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]-this I think would go perfect with [name]Mattie[/name]. It is a vintage nickname like [name]Mattie[/name], yet stands alone as a given name just fine.

Other suggestions:

[name]Annie[/name]
[name]Beth[/name]
[name]Bonnie[/name]
[name]Dixie[/name]
[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Fay[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Holly[/name]
[name]Ida[/name]
[name]Jenny[/name]
[name]Kate[/name]
[name]Libby[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Molly[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]/[name]Nellie[/name]
[name]Ora[/name]
[name]Polly[/name]
[name]Rita[/name]
[name]Sally[/name]
[name]Tansy[/name]

From your list I really like [name]Eliza[/name]. It’s short, simple, and sweet… and goes really nice with [name]Mattie[/name].

I keep thinking of [name]Mattie[/name] and [name]Willa[/name], two almost quite masculine names with a real feminine twist. They look quite cute together as well.

I love [name]Willa[/name] but it’s yet another name that my husband has said no to.

I love [name]Eliza[/name], and [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Maple[/name] could be really pretty. I also love [name]Felicity[/name] [name]Maple[/name]. I think the name [name]Felicity[/name] is beautiful, and really underused. I really like it!

Some others-

[name]Posy[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Greta[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name] (could be short for [name]Penelope[/name], [name]Persephone[/name], etc)
[name]Sari[/name] (I had a friend named this, it is sort of like [name]Sadie[/name] but different- if you don’t want to use [name]Sadie[/name])
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name] (alternative to [name]Lily[/name])

You could legally change your daughter’s name to [name]Matilda[/name]. Seeing as she’d still be called the same name, [name]Mattie[/name] [name]Mae[/name], I don’t see changing her legal name to a longer form and using her old legal name as a nn instead of the legal name as a big deal. Especially if your daughter is still under five and not in school yet.

I like sisters [name]Maple[/name] [name]Faye[/name] and [name]Mattie[/name] [name]Mae[/name]. I think I’m in the minority of liking rhyming to a degree.

[name]Felicity[/name] is pretty but I don’t think it makes a sibset with [name]Mattie[/name]. Same with [name]Corinne[/name], love that name, but it doesn’t seem to work with sibling [name]Mattie[/name]. Out of the ones you’ve shared, [name]Eliza[/name] seems to work best with [name]Mattie[/name] & it’s cute. Did your husband veto [name]Eliza[/name]?

I think [name]Abby[/name] (since he did like [name]Abigail[/name]) is also very cute & vintage, although pretty popular these days.

[name]How[/name] about [name]Lucy[/name]? ([name]Lucille[/name]/[name]Lucinda[/name]/[name]Lucienne[/name])

:slight_smile: [name]Cris[/name]

Husband likes [name]Eliza[/name], he’s reconsidering [name]Sylvie[/name] (my favorite), [name]Hannah[/name] is still being considered, as well as [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Sophie[/name] and [name]Emma[/name]. It seems like we can only agree on the popular names.

We have decided that we would like to stay away from names ending in “ie” so that it’s not a thing. We don’t want to limit our name choices anymore than we already have by choosing a vintage nickname for our first daughter. What does everyone think about [name]Mattie[/name] & [name]Isla[/name]?