this happen to anybody else?

So, we decided pretty early on what we were naming our son, like even before we knew he was a boy. He chose the name. I admit, at first I didn’t love it, but our little man will arrive in 3wks & I can’t imagine naming him something else. Our entire family refers to him by name. The baby shower had the name on everything, I even signed the shower thank yous with the name.
[name_f]My[/name_f] bf’s criteria was that the name we used had to be something nobody we knew had. Last night, he tells me “I don’t wanna name him that anymore”. I guess his friend’s girl, who was only 28wk suffered from preeclampsia, so she had their son Friday. THEY STOLE OUR NAME!!! I understand you can’t call dibs on a name, but come on, this was just rude. So, its pretty much up to me what we name our son, but my bf’s against the sharing. It sucks that all the names I liked got vetoed because our friend’s used them. After commiting & refering to him for the past 7m as [name_u]Bentley[/name_u], I can’t imagine changing it. Nows my chance for my [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m] or [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], IDK.

I know it must be disappointing, but as you rightly said, no-one can call dibs on a name.

Given that you’ve been pretty open about the fact, that [name_u]Bentley[/name_u] was your chosen name, could you not go ahead and use it still? After all, no-one could accuse you of copying them, because you’ve been sharing the name openly.

However, if that really isn’t an option, then my nod would go to [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], which if I’m honest, is a better name than [name_u]Bentley[/name_u] anyway.

It was rude, but maybe you can take it as an opportunity to find a name that you really love. If your bf doesn’t want it anymore, then you should keep looking. I know several little boys named [name_u]Bentley[/name_u] and personally think [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] is much nicer. Other suggestions:

[name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]
[name_m]Oscar[/name_m]
[name_u]August[/name_u]
[name_m]Zebulon[/name_m]
[name_m]Harrison[/name_m]
[name_u]Jameson[/name_u]
[name_u]Flynn[/name_u]
[name_m]Julian[/name_m]
[name_m]Elijah[/name_m]
[name_m]George[/name_m]
[name_m]Victor[/name_m]
[name_m]Crew[/name_m]

Stick with [name_u]Bentley[/name_u] if you both love the name. You’ve already been using it. It won’t look like you’re stealing their name if you’ve already been signing it on cards and displaying it at the shower.

I just feel like I’ve commited to his name choice & now that he doesn’t wanna name our son that anymore – I don’t know what to do. Going back to the drawing board is really hard with less than 3 weeks to pick something new.

If it’s just a friend who used the name, I’d have a good talk with the bf and see if you really can’t convince him to keep the name. It’s practically your son’s name already. If your baby had been born first, then his friend named her son [name_u]Bentley[/name_u], would he want to change your son’s name?

Since you’ve been calling him [name_u]Bentley[/name_u] this whole time, it won’t look like you copied your BF’s friend. I think it’s okay to still name him [name_u]Bentley[/name_u]. Plus, it’s not the end of the world if someone shares his name. Most (though not all) kids think it’s cool for another kid to have their name. :slight_smile: But if that’s not what you’re worried about, like I said. Everyone knows you were planning to name him [name_u]Bentley[/name_u] long before the other [name_u]Bentley[/name_u] was even conceived.

I think it’s possible to use the same name. I can understand not wanting to use it though, we just crossed of [name_f]Nora[/name_f] on our list because a close friend’s child has it as a nickname. Maybe you could convince your bf that it’s ok to use it if you feel it’s not so bad to share a name. Although it’s really disappointing to have a name stolen but the pre-eclampsia and early birth my first thought is thankfulness that everyone is doing well. I think worrying over a stolen name is small potatoes to that.
Anyway, [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_m]Wyatt[/name_m] are really great names. Maybe try calling baby that and see how it feels. I know for me it sometimes take a little bit of thinking it over before I come to love a name. [name_m]Even[/name_m] thought you don’t have much time, the Nameberry folks can help you try and find the best name! Assuming you can’t get the bf to come around.

Thanks ladies!
I think I’m gonna just be one of those ‘‘wait til I see his tiny little face’’ people, LOL.