This or That

I’ve paired together some of my favorite names that are too similar to use as sisters, or two spellings of the same name. Please choose which name you like best from each set and tell me why you picked them. Thanks!

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Elena[/name_f] (e-lay-na)
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Juliette[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] (pronounce leine like pen) vs. [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] (pronounce line like nine)
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you think these names are different enough that I could use two of them? They are 3 different names but all share strong S and IE sounds. Which pairing do you prefer?

[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] (lou-see-ah) vs. [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] - I adore both, and think both could be used together, even though they’re slightly matchy. I prefer [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] today, because I’m saying it in my “Brazilian” voice, and I love [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] so, so, SO much the way Brazilians say it. I do adore [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], though, and if they’re being said like normal Americans do (ha), I would pick [name_f]Emilia[/name_f].
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Elena[/name_f] - [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. I’ve never hugely gotten into [name_f]Elena[/name_f]–I’m not sure why. I do love [name_f]Lena[/name_f] ([name_m]LAY[/name_m]-nah) though.
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] - [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]! I love the [name_m]French[/name_m] spelling. It’s my favorite girls’ name.
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] - [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]. This is one seldom occasion where the [name_m]French[/name_m] spelling looks too froufrou for me. (The only other instance I can think of is [name_f]Violette[/name_f]–I vastly prefer the English [name_f]Violet[/name_f]!)
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] - I like both, but only how you’re saying them! I quite hate the idea of [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] said like [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]/[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] haha. I couldn’t pick; I like them equally. I do love the dainty look of [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], though, and the sound of it in [name_m]French[/name_m]–which almost skips the middle syllable. :slight_smile:
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] - easily usable together! I like both, but prefer [name_f]Sophie[/name_f].

[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] - so usable together, too. Then again, I tend to say [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] the Italian way–loo-CHEE-ah–so I have to re-school myself to say loo-SEE-ah.
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] - see [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]. :wink:

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] - I pick [name_f]Emilia[/name_f]. I’ve always liked that name and [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] is not really my style.
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Elena[/name_f] - [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. I had a teacher named [name_f]Elena[/name_f] who I didn’t like very much, haha.
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] - [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]. I find the other spelling to be kinda dated.
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] - It’s a tie. [name_u]Love[/name_u] them both so I think it depends on the middle name.
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] (pronounce leine like pen) vs. [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] (pronounce line like nine) - [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]! It’s got a more royal vibe to it ([name_f]Princess[/name_f] [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] of [name_u]Sweden[/name_u]).
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] - [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] has been on my list for a while now and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is a bit too popular.

Thank you!

[name_f]Emilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] - Totally biased! My niece’s name is [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Cece[/name_f], and I absolutely fell head over heels with her name. I see [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] everywhere on Nameberry now so it’s lost its charm for me. I prefer [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], since they’re so similar.

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Elena[/name_f] - This is a hard choice for me, but I’ll have to go with [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]. [name_f]Elena[/name_f] is pretty but I think [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] has such a timeless charm and beauty. Everyone named [name_f]Elena[/name_f] or has the middle name [name_f]Elena[/name_f] I’ve ever known (quite a lot, surprisingly) has always pronounced it [name_f]Ellen[/name_f]-ah. So pronounciation may be an issue whereas [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is a known but uncommon name. I love nn [name_f]Nora[/name_f] too. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] - [name_f]Isabel[/name_f]? I don’t like the name in the first place, and I never have, because of the way it is pronounced in English culture. That being said, [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] would fit more.

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] - Never really loved this name either. I prefer [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] though.

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] - [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]! I’m so happy you pronounce it as -[name_m]Len[/name_m], the [name_m]French[/name_m] way. It is so much prettier that way. It gives it a great sophisticated beauty.

[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] - This was hard for me as well. My all time favourite name of all time is [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], so naturally I’d go with [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], but I don’t really like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] elaborations. [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] it is.

[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] (lou-see-ah) vs. [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
These names here don’t sound remotely too similar at all, in fact, I think a cute sibset pattern is what you picked up on. The only thing I’d have against this sibset is that [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] seems so much more plain than [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucia[/name_f].

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] - beautiful, sophisticated, underused, cute nickname [name_f]Cece[/name_f]. [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] is lovely but the [name_f]Em[/name_f]- names are very popular at the moment, as is the soundalike [name_f]Amelia[/name_f].
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] - classic and timeless
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] - I prefer the less “fussy” spelling, it looks more streamlined and less deliberately girly
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] - ditto
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] - I just prefer the look and sound of this one
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f] - [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is sweet and has been fairly popular for a long time so feels pretty timeless; [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] feels quite trendy to me and is a little bit too frilly for my tastes

I don’t see a problem with using any of [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] together. My two favourites are [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] and [name_f]Lucia[/name_f].

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] - [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f] looks incomplete to me for some unknown reason. I much prefer [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. [name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] is sophistated, I especially love the nn Cici.

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Elena[/name_f] - [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] is so elegant and classic. I went to school with numerous [name_f]Elena[/name_f]'s so it’s a tad too popular for me. I also don’t care for the alternative spellings such as [name_f]Alayna[/name_f], [name_f]Ilena[/name_f], etc. I love the nn’s for [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] like [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f], etc.

[name_f]Isabel[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] - [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]
I love the “belle” at the end of [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]. I think it’s so beautiful and girly. [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] seems incomplete to me.

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] - [name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
The OG [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] from [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] and [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] is my favorite. [name_f]Juliette[/name_f] is a little too fancy for me.

[name_f]Madeline[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] - [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
My favorite spelling of [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], so regal and elegant. The extra “E” just makes it for me.

[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] vs. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] - [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
I’m not a fan of [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f], but I know many people who love it. [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] is sweet to me.

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Lucia[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] and [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] are all fine to use together, to be honest.

[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f] - soft and feminine, plus I love nn [name_f]Cece[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f] (e-lay-na) - Not a fan of [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and love “A” ending names
[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] - Thinking of the ease of the child through her life for spelling purposes. I also [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] this name!
[name_f]Juliette[/name_f] - The more Romantic spelling :slight_smile:
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] (pronounce leine like pen) - I prefer this pronunciation but the spelling is a bit more difficult for the child
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] - Very romantic - One of my favorite names

Which pairing do you prefer?

Definitely [name_f]Rosalie[/name_f] but prefer [name_f]Lucia[/name_f] over [name_f]Sophie[/name_f]