This Whole Imagery Thing...

I’ve always loved coming up with (and reading other people’s) mental pictures of a name; what sort of person you see, how you would describe them, their personality and qualities, how they look/behave/live etc and I’m really curious to see what other people visualise when they see the names on my list. It’s just a bit of fun really, though it’s very interesting and I do tend to jot down the good associations I find :slight_smile:

I understand many of you will find my favourites très plain and boring, but I’m open to positive & negative images and impressions of any kind- vague or clear, scarce or detailed. Anything sensual. Write as little or as much as you like, I’ll appreciate it all. And it’s just a short list, nothing too taxing I hope…

Chaps:
[name_m]William[/name_m]
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Tom[/name_m]’
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Alec[/name_m]’
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]

Maids:
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Morwenna[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]

I’m looking forward to seeing what you envisage! Thanks muchly :slight_smile:

Chaps:
[name_m]William[/name_m]–handsome, love ‘[name_m]Liam[/name_m]’
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]–cute on a [name_u]Brit[/name_u], but [name_u]Brady[/name_u] Bunch-ish on an American kid
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Tom[/name_m]’–prefer [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] to [name_m]Tom[/name_m]…love the skepticism of his namesake
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Alec[/name_m]’–A favorite! Strong, handsome, successful, and [name_m]Alec[/name_m] is the perfect nn. ([name_u]Sasha[/name_u] for [name_f]Alexandra[/name_f])
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]–eh…yes, it’s classic, and it’s growing on me (slowly), but I still picture a henpecked husband.

Maids:
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]–pretty, classic
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]–storybook
[name_f]Morwenna[/name_f]–I’d wonder if she was a good or evil witch.
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]–classic, I love it w/[name_f]Jane[/name_f].
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]–cute on an outgoing, precocious child. I don’t think it ages well, though.

[name_m]William[/name_m]: he’s a bright-eyed mischief maker. Very loving and cuddly, has a huge heart
[name_m]Peter[/name_m]: sporty, jokester, class clown. [name_m]Jock[/name_m] with a heart of gold route of guy.
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m]: serious and studious, with deep soulful eyes. Not depressed/antisocial, but much less prone to silliness
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m]: i have a hard time picturing this, because its kind of an everyman’s name. Any type of guy could be an [name_m]Alexander[/name_m].
[name_m]Henry[/name_m]: soft-spoken, not shy but slightly reserved. I picture curly brown hair with this name.
[name_f]Rose[/name_f]: a wildfire of a girl - she’s fiercely loyal, loves with her whole heart, and never apologizes for being herself. She’s a delight to be around.
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]: whimsical but studious. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is clever and witty and full of snark, but she’s shy too.
[name_f]Morwenna[/name_f]: um I’ve never heard this before, and it feels a little out there. It reminds me of a girl i know named [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f], who is just kind of bizarre and no one knows what to think of her.
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]: she’s all spunk and sass. She’s feminine, but hates wearing dresses. She probably wears glasses, and looks amazing in them.
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]: she’s a bit high-maintenance, a bit of a perfectionist. Feminine and frilly. She is a true friend to those she likes but can be a mean girl to those she doesn’t.

[name_m]William[/name_m] - [name_f]Happy[/name_f]-go-lucky, likeable, always has a mischievous twinkle in his eye
[name_m]Peter[/name_m] - A bit stodgy, fond of button-downs, very chivalrous
[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Tom[/name_m]’ - Same as [name_m]Peter[/name_m] but with more of a rebellious side
[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Alec[/name_m]’ - [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] is charismatic, down to earth, extremely popular and smiley. [name_m]Alec[/name_m] has more snark and kind of a hidden-jerk vibe.
[name_m]Henry[/name_m] - Sweet, sometimes hapless but very smart. A secret romantic.

[name_f]Rose[/name_f] - Blandly nice, the face of a silent film star. Does ballet.
[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - Wears hipster glasses and lots of florals. Likes photography and landscape paintings. Has a canopy over her bed.
[name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] - Pale-skinned brunette. Loves kids and animals and they love her back. Has a hidden backbone of steel, always stands up for her beliefs.
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] - Funny, adventurous and vivacious. Wore lots of overalls as a child. Always outside in the sun.
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] - I tried to think of original imagery, but I can’t shake the image of the vividly characterized [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] from the book Imaginary Girls. Which is a weird book, but would make an excellent movie. Anyway, that [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] is fiercely loyal, with charisma and a magnetic personality that borders on mind control, but has a hidden dark side.

Très plain, eh? [name_f]Non[/name_f] non… All your boy names are names of people I know and who are very dear to me, so they’re a tad tricky.

[name_m]William[/name_m] - This is the name of someone I love very deeply, so it’s hard for me to separate this and him. It is a dashingly romantic name, regal (duh!), masculine and über-handsome. [name_m]William[/name_m] is someone woodsy and capable, someone caring and kind with a beautiful soul. Old, old forests, men in fur lined capes on beautiful horses riding through. [name_f]Poetry[/name_f], chamber music, chivalry, tales of [name_m]French[/name_m] legends, torches, woolen throws and warmth.

[name_m]Peter[/name_m] - Removing all the childhood [name_m]Peter[/name_m]'s out of my head (and there’s a lot of them!). [name_m]Peter[/name_m]'s an eccentric, he’s a writer with a mustache, a monocle and his dark long haired neatly tied back in a velvet bow. He hangs out in [name_m]Soho[/name_m], can spend hours in antique bookshops, climbing up and down the ladders looking for treasures. He’s serious, but has a definite twinkle in his eye, he’s charming, knowledgeable, funny, playful, weird and warm.

[name_m]Thomas[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Tom[/name_m]’ - [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] sweet and beautiful with big curious eyes. He’s a little brother, he loves spending time with his mummy and sisters, baking, drawing and throwing teaparties for his stuffed animals. He collects rocks and pebbles he finds when he’s crab fishing, he loves everything and anything as long as it’s tiny, he’ll have a crying tantrum if someone kills a spider. He wants to be friends with everyone, especially the cows on the other side of the fence at the bottom of his garden, but they don’t seem terribly interested which is difficult. [name_m]Tom[/name_m] loves pirates, reading about them and dressing up as them. They’re a bit scary too, but as long as he can sit on Mummy or Daddy’s lap he’s fine.

[name_m]Alexander[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Alec[/name_m]’ - [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]'s handsome, raised well and very English, with a bit of a temper. He loves cricket and rugby, goes to the pub every [name_f]Sunday[/name_f] and takes his dog for long walks. He wears glasses, reads contemporary novels and science magazines, wears funky socks and trousers. He’s charming, flirtatious, annoying and utterly lovely.

[name_m]Henry[/name_m] - [name_m]Henry[/name_m]'s all charm and smiles. Sparklers, bonfires, face paint, forts in the garden, spectacular tree houses. Scratched patched knees, red little cheeks, balloons. A little bit mischievous… but a cutiepie, someone snuggly and cuddly, sweet as pie and all love.

Maids:
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] - I always think of [name_f]Kate[/name_f] [name_f]Winslet[/name_f]'s stunning portrayal in Titanic when I think of [name_f]Rose[/name_f], so all the thing she was in the movie with a dash of As You Like It’s [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], and there you’ve got her! Now if you haven’t seen Titanic or read As You Like It… Beautiful, spirited, a thinker, someone passionate, romantic, just, brave, elegant. Someone’s who’s all heart and feelings, someone artistic, creative, non judgmental, open, caring, kind, wild, free.

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] - [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f] [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] causes the same problems as [name_m]Peter[/name_m] did, it’s so attached to childhood literature for me I can’t think clearly! but I’ll try. [name_f]Alice[/name_f] is a summer child. She runs though meadows with her blonde hair flowing in the wind. She loves picnics, in the gardens, by the lake, in her tent in the sitting room. She’s very careful and thorough, she takes very good care of all her possessions. [name_u]Blue[/name_u] silk ribbons in her that comes undone at the end of the school day, her uniform askew, kneesocks by her ankles. She’ll sob for hours when her beautiful red sequin shoes get dirty. She loves fish and insists on touching their eyes and tongues before they go in the oven.

[name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] - She’s basically how I see [name_f]Morgana[/name_f]; a dark haired stormy soul, dancing and balancing on Cornish cliffs. She’s most alive outside, howling in the wind, her skirts blowing around her legs and her her whipping her face. A wild creature, someone a bit different, someone who runs outside when it starts to rain to feel the water on her skin, jumps into the ocean with a wild laugh. She’s a bit moody, she likes to be alone, but she’s loveable and the life of the party when she shows up. She wears heavy jewellery, thick eyeliner and reads tarot cards. Her house is full of dream catchers and homemade candles.

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] - [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]'s serious, passionate and articulated. Someone artistic, maybe she makes dainty delicate gilded porcelain teacups or something like that. [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] lives in a little ivy covered [name_m]Dorset[/name_m] cottage. In her garden you’ll find roses, hydrangeas, petunias, honeysuckle and a wide range of herbs and vegetables. Her home is warm and welcoming, it smells of cinnamon and vanilla, there’s always a candle lit and the guest bed is always made up for surprise visitors. She’s got two cats called [name_u]Austen[/name_u] and [name_f]Bronte[/name_f]. She’s an excellent baker, she makes fabulous and scrumptious sandwiches served on beautiful rose painted plates in the garden. In the evening she lights all her Chinese paper lanterns and her little garden turns into faerieland, where she serves her guests delicious raspberry [name_m]Eton[/name_m] Mess and rose champagne.

[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] - [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]'s a round cheeked little girl, blonde hair in pigtails. She’s a tough, wild little one, she loves climbing trees, fishing, playing hide and seek in the poppy fields. There’s a little bridge by her house where she loves playing poohsticks with her little sister. She’s obsessed with tutus and dresses, she wants to wear them all the time even when jumping in muddle puddles, and she’s always got a little bag across her body where she keeps her most precious little items she wants to keep hidden from her little sister. She’s sensitive, cuddly, curious.

Honestly with your names, for most of them I don’t picture anything. I know or have know many people, all very different, with those names. The only thing I can say about your boys names are that I do picture boys/men and girls/ women. Likewise with your girls (definately female) names except for [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f]. In that case, I do have a specific picture of a granola girl, hippie.

Wow, thanks for these! I’ve written so many down :slight_smile:

@amelia, I love your [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] and [name_f]Rose[/name_f]. And [name_f]Alice[/name_f] too- she kind of sounds like me :stuck_out_tongue:

@[name_f]Gwen[/name_f], [name_m]Henry[/name_m]'s my favourite there. He describes a special someone I know to a T! I love the image of [name_f]Alice[/name_f] and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] as well. Thanks!

@otter, Wow! Thanks for all that, my love! I love them all. [name_m]Tom[/name_m] is adorable! As are [name_m]Henry[/name_m] and [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. And [name_u]Ruby[/name_u]! I feel like I should write a story about [name_m]Peter[/name_m] and [name_f]Eliza[/name_f]. They’re brilliant. You’re a gem :slight_smile:

@paw, I thought that may be the case for some. But I get your hippy vibe for [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f].

:slight_smile:

Maids:
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] – A soft-hearted, sweet-tempered girl. Her hair is all bouncy dark curls, her skin porcelain, her cheeks permanently pink, her eyes black and snapping with life, startling when you consider her demure ways. She wears her femininity like a second skin, completely without artifice. A lover of hearth and home and family, she’s happiest with a babe in her arms, and she can coax a smile from even the surliest infant. No children of her own, and no desire for any. She’d rather open a daycare nursery so she can care for babies to her hearts’ content without the heartbreak of watching them grow up and away from her.

[name_f]Alice[/name_f] – [name_f]One[/name_f] of my favorite girls’ names. I picture a magical little girl with cornsilk hair, china blue eyes, bare muddy feet, tattered skirts trailing handkerchief hems in the grass, and the ever present fairy wings. [name_f]Tea[/name_f] parties in the garden on a table made out of a flat rock, set with a hodge-podge of china and crockware lovingly selected from rummage sales and deemed Treasures. Places set for all her stuffed animals who are well-loved and much-rumpled, for fairies, for story characters, even the Ancestors. Glitter becomes fairy-dust, sprinkled on mud pies like colored sugar, berry juices mixed with flower nectar and herbs become potions, be-ribboned twigs become magic wands. A head full of fancy and a heart full of magic. Reads fairytales to an adoring stuffed animal audience, re-enacts her favorite books as plays, assigning starring roles to parents and siblings and putting on grand productions with the back porch for a stage. Like [name_m]Peter[/name_m] [name_m]Pan[/name_m], she never grows up.

[name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] – I don’t immediately picture a person; the first things that come to mind are underwater visions – coral reefs, mermaids, pearls, seaweed waving and shifting in the currents, the view of the sky from underneath the surface and the way the light shimmers out in rings. A [name_f]Morwenna[/name_f] has pale skin and long dark silky hair, sea green/grey/blue eyes that feel like falling into a painting of the ocean. She is mysterious, ethereal, and aloof, like she’s not really a part of this world. Introverted and dreamy with a sense of melancholy about her. She’s irresistibly drawn to the ocean and anything like it, collects shells and driftwood. She paints in watercolors, lots of ghostly liquid shapes in shades of blue and green, and writes poetry all over her bedroom walls in fluid script. Like a mermaid come to life.

[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] – A spunky, spirited, take-charge girl. Her looks are hard to picture, but her hair is short and swingy and she has quick expressive hands. An [name_f]Eliza[/name_f] knows what’s best for everyone, and feels it’s her responsibility to help them discover it. She’s a compulsive matchmaker and very active in supporting overlooked and underfunded social causes. Well-meaning and tactful, she occasionally runs afoul of people who don’t want her advice, but for the most part they find her charming and her “helpful suggestions” to be quite shrewd.

[name_u]Ruby[/name_u] – My cousin’s grandmother was known to all us kids as Gramma [name_u]Ruby[/name_u], and it’s impossible for me to see past that association. Sorry!

Chaps are soooo much harder for me, because I know so many people with those names that they cloud my perceptions. Maybe I’ll work on them later as a good writing exercise :wink: