This whole "naming a person" thing is stressful.

TTC and I need to be inspired. DD, [name]Grace[/name] [name]Patricia[/name], was named for all sides of the family but mostly for my mom and DH’s grandmother. I prefer elegant and vintage names, but some of the names I’m coming up with do not sound like me at all. We want our children’s names to “match” in some way and basically have 3 choices: family, elegant and vintage, or the same middle initial. All names are family-inspired, but the family names are the names family members we’ve both actually met.

FAMILY
[name]Walter[/name] [name]Harlan[/name]
[name]David[/name] [name]Jack[/name]
[name]Beverly[/name] [name]Deborah[/name]

ELEGANT and VINTAGE
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Edith[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name] [name]Edward[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Charles[/name]

“P” MIDDLE INITIAL
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name] [name]Pollock[/name]
[name]Cedric[/name] [name]Pierce[/name]

Other suggestions would be appreciated (although I’m aware that you don’t know any of our family names).

I love the names you’ve picked out! My favorite combinations/suggestions are below:

[name]Walter[/name] [name]Henry[/name]
[name]David[/name] [name]Walter[/name]
[name]Walter[/name] [name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Walter[/name] [name]Cedric[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Charles[/name]
[name]Cedric[/name] [name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]

You’ve got some really lovely choices! [name]Don[/name]'t be discouraged!

I love your choices. I have sons names [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Walter[/name] so I’m partial to those. Here are my comments on your first names:
[name]Walter[/name]: [name]Love[/name] it obviously. The nickname [name]Walt[/name] is great. Not a huge fan of middle name [name]Harlan[/name] unless it is a family surname or something. Like it with middle name [name]Pierce[/name] a lot!
[name]David[/name]: I know SO many Davids that this one doesn’t excite me, but it’s a good, solid name
[name]Beverly[/name] [name]Deborah[/name]: This isn’t the prettiest name to me. [name]Deborah[/name] seems dated.
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]: Like this a lot! Cute nns for [name]Eleanor[/name] too.
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Edith[/name]: OK, not quite as pretty or easy of a name.
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]: My favorite girl name for you! [name]Alice[/name] is my favorite girl name right now and [name]Catherine[/name] is in my top 10.
[name]Malcolm[/name] [name]Edward[/name]: [name]Love[/name] this. I adore [name]Malcolm[/name] (am considering it for #3). Goes well with [name]Edward[/name]. Would also sound good with [name]Charles[/name] or [name]Pierce[/name].
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Charles[/name]: [name]Love[/name] [name]Henry[/name] obviously. [name]Love[/name] [name]Charles[/name]. Not a huge fan of them together - just a bit too current royal family to me.
[name]Amelia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]: Cute. Not a huge fan of [name]Pearl[/name]. [name]Amelia[/name] is good, but not as great as [name]Alice[/name] to me.
[name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Primrose[/name]: Cute! A little unusual. Like it.
[name]Malcolm[/name] [name]Pollock[/name]: If [name]Pollock[/name] is a family name, I really like it. I would assume it is if I saw this name.
[name]Cedric[/name] [name]Pierce[/name]: [name]Cedric[/name] just isn’t very pretty to me. [name]Love[/name] [name]Pierce[/name] as a first or middle name.

I think [name]Beverly[/name] is ripe for a comeback. It peaked in the 1920s/1930s, so it’s from the same era as Nameberry favorites like [name]Alice[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]June[/name], [name]Evelyn[/name], [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Beatrice[/name]. The names [name]Everly[/name] and [name]Ever[/name] are popular with celebrity babies. I dislike the nickname [name]Bev[/name] but [name]Eve[/name], [name]Evie[/name], [name]Ever[/name], [name]Vera[/name] and the traditional country club/vampire slayer nickname [name]Buffy[/name] are all wonderful, sprightly and fun names.

[name]Beverly[/name] [name]Deborah[/name] is an absolute mouthful, though, plus the [name]Bev[/name]-[name]Deb[/name] sounds are very similar. I really like [name]Beverly[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] – think how cute [name]Evie[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] would be next to [name]Gracie[/name] [name]Pat[/name]!

Thanks for the suggestions! I know my favorite boy name is [name]Malcolm[/name] [name]Edward[/name] and I might be able to convince DH. His favorite girl name is [name]Amelia[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], and while I like it, I’m not sure that it is the best choice. It has a lot of things going for it, but I find myself wavering on both the first and middle name. I think that because I find it so “cute” that it isn’t the right choice (although I’m sure this is the reason DH loves it so much!). I much prefer [name]Eleanor[/name] nn [name]Ellie[/name] or [name]Nora[/name]. I think I would pick [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Deborah[/name]. (I know [name]Deborah[/name] isn’t at the top of everyone’s list, but it was my late aunt’s name and my husband and I both really loved her.) Maybe [name]Eleanor[/name] [name]Catherine[/name]/ [name]Katherine[/name]. I’m just not sure.