Thisbe as a first name?? Have you ever met one?

My husband and I both love the name [name]Thisbe[/name] [name]June[/name], but is [name]Thisbe[/name] usable as a first name? I don’t want my daughter to always have to spell her name or have people think she has a “younique” name.

Have any of you ever met a [name]Thisbe[/name]?

Thanks!

When I read this the first thing that came to my mind was the book “Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nihm”. That’s the only time I’ve ever heard anything close to [name]Thisbe[/name]. Its not my style, but I’ve heard worse. I do, however, think she’d have to spell it a lot and I would definitely put it in the unusual category.

She’ll probably have to spell it often to anyone who isn’t familiar with [name]Ovid[/name] (or [name]Shakespeare[/name] for that matter), but for all that I think it’s a pretty name, and certainly more usable than some other names I’ve heard!

Agree with esrever88. No matter what, she’ll have to spell it, or at least repeat it very often for clarification for anyone who hasn’t heard it fro [name]Ovid[/name] or [name]Shakespeare[/name]. I can honestly say if I heard someone tell me her name is [name]Thisbe[/name], I’d do a double-take and ask for a repeat, if not spelling, just to make sure I was getting it right. It’s a lovely name and certainly not common, but it’s definitely usable.

([name]Just[/name] please don’t name your son Pyramus!)

I love [name]Thisbe[/name]. I hope you use it, I would be so excited to meet one!!

I am a huge fan of Shakespearian names, and I think [name]Thisbe[/name] is gorgeous! That said, she will have to spell it out for some people, but I have always had to and you really get used to it. I don’t think it’s an issue and I think [name]Thisbe[/name] is very usable! [name]Thisbe[/name] [name]June[/name] is simply adorable: whimsical, yet grounded.

It’s a pretty name, although the character met a rather tragic fate, so there is that hanging over it.

[name]Thisbe[/name] Nissen is an American author.

I automatically pronounced it THIZ-bee and would probably get somewhere close if I was to spell it from hearing the name pronounced. I wouldn’t worry about it too much! [name]Thisbe[/name] [name]June[/name] or [name]Thisbe[/name] [name]Jane[/name] would be really cute. At least it is phonetic unlike some Gaelic names that people just can’t seem to wrap their heads around!

I’ve never met one, but I love the name. Its always on and off my short list.
There is another [name]Berry[/name] who recently had a little girl, I think they named her [name]Thisbe[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]? I think its a gorgeous, simple name and useable for sure.

I really like this name, though I’ve never read the story about her. There are a lot of names out there that are seriously worse to spell and pronounce, and I honestly think this one shouldn’t be that hard. It kind of seems like there wouldn’t be any other way to pronounce it other than the way it’s supposed to be, you know?

I have never met one, but I think it is perfectly usable and is an awesome name. I love [name]Thisbe[/name] [name]June[/name].

Thanks for all the input berries! lucystone- I promise not to name a son Pyramus! So far we just have a little [name]Felix[/name]. [name]Felix[/name] & [name]Thisbe[/name] sound pretty cute together, don’t you think? I am definitely keeping it on my list! Fingers crossed that #2 or 3 will be a girl :slight_smile: