Thorsten/Thorben and middle names

[name_u]Haven[/name_u]'t found out the sex of this baby yet but I have such a strong intuition that it is a boy we have only been discussing boy names! We will hopefully find out for sure on Friday! I really like [name_m]Thorsten[/name_m]…the h is silent so it would be pronounced “[name_m]Tore[/name_m]-sten”. We could have the nn of [name_m]Thor[/name_m]. I also like Thorben (h also silent) but not quite as much. Which do you prefer? Any suggestions for middle names? DH is obsessed with the name [name_m]Fynn[/name_m] but is also considering [name_m]Johannes[/name_m] (it’s a family name, he is a [name_m]German[/name_m] citizen). I’m not sold on either of these but could probably compromise because I like the first name more than he does.

Interesting names ([name_f]Love[/name_f] [name_m]Thorsten[/name_m] [name_m]Fynn[/name_m]!), but you’ll have to spend a lot of time correcting pronunciations if you’re in the US. Perhaps Ariston, [name_m]Thor[/name_m], [name_u]Corbin[/name_u], [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_u]Flynn[/name_u]?

[name_m]Torsten[/name_m]. Name of [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_m]German[/name_m] engineer we know.

I would skip the TH part.

We actually live in Germany so pronouncing his name with the “th” wouldn’t be possible (they don’t have the th in [name_m]German[/name_m] and many Germans can’t even make that sound if they try). It would be easier perhaps to go with [name_m]Torsten[/name_m] but both DH and I like the [name_m]Thorsten[/name_m] spelling for aesthetic reasons. If we do ever move back to the States (or an English speaking country) I figure he could go by [name_m]Thor[/name_m]/[name_m]Thorsten[/name_m] with the “th” pronunciation there (at school for instance) if he wants. Thank you for the input!

[name_m]Thorsten[/name_m] (in Denmark it’s pronounced with a hard T no matter if there’s an H or not) and Torben (without the H) are incredibly old-fashioned here in Denmark (but [name_m]Thor[/name_m] is quite popular). [name_m]Aren[/name_m]'t they proper dorky-old-fashioned in Germany as well? Of the two, I prefer [name_m]Thorsten[/name_m] - only because it can give the nickname [name_m]Thor[/name_m], but honestly I don’t think either of them are particularly flattering.

[name_m]Fynn[/name_m] and [name_m]Johannes[/name_m] (or [name_m]Johan[/name_m] swoon) are both beautiful names.