Thought on My List? These are the Names You Suggested Before...

For about two days ago, I posted a thread asking upper-class names.
And thankfully, many berries suggested me LOTS of names.
So now I made my list from the feedbacks, and need your honest opinions.
What do you think of…

[name]Vivienne[/name] (or [name]Vivien[/name])
[name]Clarissa[/name]
[name]Rosamond[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Portia[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Lilia[/name]
[name]Melisande[/name]
[name]Margot[/name]

Please, I need your help!
Thank you so much:)

I like [name]Portia[/name] and [name]Melisande[/name] best.

If you want upper class names I’d drop [name]Edith[/name] and [name]Lilia[/name].

[name]Vivienne[/name] (or [name]Vivien[/name]) - I go back and forth of which I like best. [name]Both[/name] are gorgeous.
[name]Clarissa[/name] - I’m not a big fan, but it’s nice enough and certainly not used a lot. There’s Mrs Dalloway by [name]Virginia[/name] [name]Woolf[/name], and the novel [name]Clarissa[/name], or, the [name]History[/name] of a [name]Young[/name] Lady (depressing read).
[name]Rosamond[/name] - Like this, although I prefer the [name]Rosamund[/name] spelling. There’s the beautiful paintinf Fair [name]Rosamund[/name] by [name]John[/name] [name]William[/name] Waterhouse.
[name]Helena[/name] - Beautiful. I always think of [name]Helena[/name] Bonham [name]Carter[/name] when I hear this name, which is a good thing.
[name]Calla[/name] - I think this one fits the bill of sweet upper class sounding name.
[name]Serena[/name] - The same as [name]Calla[/name], but even better. It also has this luring sound, makes me think of mermaids and sirens.
[name]Georgiana[/name] - Used to be the upper class name. I think it’s beautiful, especially with the -ana ending.
[name]Portia[/name] - I like it, it’s sweet.
[name]Edith[/name] - I don’t get the sweet, elegant upper class vibe from this one.
[name]Lilia[/name] - Not this one either, it’s a pretty name but not elegant.
[name]Melisande[/name] - My favourite! Really beautiful and so rare!
[name]Margot[/name] - I think this is pretty spot on what you want as well. It’s quite rare yet familiar as well.

[name]Vivienne[/name] (or [name]Vivien[/name]) - I prefer [name]Vivienne[/name], lovely name, 4,9
[name]Clarissa[/name] - ok, 3
[name]Rosamond[/name] - nice, 4,3
[name]Helena[/name] - ok, 3,2
[name]Calla[/name] - a bit bland, 3,8
[name]Serena[/name] - nice, 4,1
[name]Georgiana[/name] - lovely, 4,1
[name]Portia[/name] - dislike, 1,9
[name]Edith[/name] - dislike, 1,5
[name]Lilia[/name] - dislike, 2,3
[name]Melisande[/name] - my favorite, 5
[name]Margot[/name] - nice, 4,6

Upper class… [name]Georgiana[/name], [name]Portia[/name], [name]Edith[/name], [name]Margot[/name], [name]Serena[/name], [name]Vivienne[/name], [name]Rosamund[/name], [name]Clarissa[/name]… but [name]Melisande[/name] is medieval lady like.

thank you cristinamariane. ottilie, you’re really helpful!
and theclocktowerofjoy, what do the numbers mean? anyway thanks:)

I really like [name]Margot[/name] but I prefer the spelling [name]Margaux[/name]. I also like [name]Serena[/name] and [name]Vivienne[/name].

thank you castles!
anyone else?

[name]Vivienne[/name]- I love this! I think of [name]Vivien[/name] [name]Leigh[/name].
[name]Clarissa[/name]- Meh. It’s okay, but not great.
[name]Rosamond[/name]- I don’t get why people like this name at all. It takes [name]Rose[/name] and weighs it down. I think [name]Rosalia[/name] is much prettier.
[name]Helena[/name]- I think this is really pretty!
[name]Calla[/name]- This is a nice name on a list of much nicer ones.
[name]Serena[/name]- [name]LOVE[/name] this!
[name]Georgiana[/name]- I think this is the prettiest of the feminine [name]George[/name] forms, by far.
[name]Portia[/name]- My mind immediately goes to [name]Porsche[/name]. Nice car, but not a nice baby name.
[name]Edith[/name]- I knew an absolutely horrible woman with this name. She went by [name]Edie[/name]. I could never get behind this name after knowing her. Plus, I don’t like the look or the sound.
[name]Lilia[/name]- Pretty! I love [name]Lily[/name] but it’s so overused. This freshens it up.
[name]Melisande[/name]- I don’t totally love this name because it’s similar to [name]Millicent[/name], but it’s certainly not bad.
[name]Margot[/name]- Like castles, I prefer [name]Margaux[/name]. I do like the name, though.

I put my favorites in bold.

[name]Vivienne[/name] (or [name]Vivien[/name]): My favorite from this list! I also like the [name]Vivian[/name] spelling.
[name]Clarissa[/name]: I prefer [name]Clarice[/name], but [name]Clarissa[/name] is also a nice name.
[name]Rosamond[/name]: Not found of [name]Rosa[/name] or the -mond ending (I actually only like it for [name]Desmond[/name])
[name]Helena[/name]: Pretty
[name]Calla[/name]: Pretty
[name]Serena[/name]: I also really like this name. It also sounds very upper-class to me.
[name]Georgiana[/name]: Classy
[name]Portia[/name]: Sounds nice, but not a fan of car names.
[name]Edith[/name]: Old-fashioned, but lovely nonetheless
[name]Lilia[/name]: I prefer [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Lillian[/name], but [name]Lilia[/name] is also nice.
[name]Melisande[/name]: I prefer [name]Melissa[/name].
[name]Margot[/name]: I also really like this name! Sweet, unique, and timeless.

Wow, these are gorgeous names! Some of my favourites.

[name]Vivienne[/name]- I pronounce this to rhyme with “hen”. It gives off a glamorous Hollywood vibe to me.
[name]Clarissa[/name]- sounds kind of cold and unfriendly, sorry
[name]Rosamond[/name]- love! lovely and soft with old-fashioned charm. I love the meaning “horse protector”.
[name]Helena[/name]- really love this! beautiful, with historical weight and both royal and literary connections
[name]Calla[/name]- seems a bit insubstantial, but a sweet nickname
[name]Serena[/name]- sweet, dainty and pretty
[name]Georgiana[/name]- another favourite! elegant, feminine, beautiful. the quintessential aristocratic British name to me
[name]Portia[/name]- [name]LOVE[/name]! yet ANOTHER of my favourites! it has everything I look for in a girls’ name- beautiful, feminine and strong, carries her own weight but still has a soft side. And [name]Portia[/name] in The Merchant of [name]Venice[/name] is one of my favourite characters.
[name]Edith[/name]- more proper and buttoned-up, but totally vintage-chic
[name]Lilia[/name]- also seems too flimsy
[name]Melisande[/name]- very pretty. sounds almost medieval to me, grounded but magical.
[name]Margot[/name]- sweet name, but I can’t get past [name]Anne[/name] [name]Frank[/name]'s sister (too sad a reference for me, though honourable)

NOTE: I was confused for a long time why people think [name]Portia[/name] sounds like a car name. I think (correct me if I’m wrong) in a British accent it sounds pretty much the same as [name]Porsche[/name]- something like “pohr-shuh”. In my Canadian accent, [name]Portia[/name] would be “por-shah” and [name]Porsche[/name] would be “pohr-shuh” or “por-shuh”- distinct enough it’s rare people get confused.

[name]Melisande[/name] is amazingly gorgeous and has the wow factor for me!!! I also love [name]Vivienne[/name] but its been tainted a bit for me by the [name]Julie[/name]-[name]Pitt[/name] connection!!! [name]Margot[/name] is so elegant to my ear and cool in an effortless way! I love [name]Lilia[/name], [name]Rosamond[/name] and [name]Georgiana[/name] is ok… I much prefer [name]Georgia[/name]… [name]Georgiana[/name] in my mind is trying too hard to be upper class… [name]Love[/name] nn [name]Gigi[/name]! [name]Helena[/name] is beautiful and classic… Reminds me if super models! I would much prefer [name]Calla[/name] as a nn for calliope! Hate [name]Portia[/name]… Sorry… Reminds me if the spoilt daughter in a fish called wanda!! [name]Feel[/name] a bit indifferent about [name]Clarissa[/name], [name]Edith[/name] (though I love [name]Edie[/name]) and serena!!

[name]Vivienne[/name] (or [name]Vivien[/name]) ~ I [name]LOVE[/name] this one! The [name]Vivienne[/name] spelling is my favorite.
[name]Clarissa[/name] ~ NMS, but okay
[name]Rosamond[/name] ~ Same as with [name]Clarissa[/name]. I prefer [name]Rose[/name].
[name]Helena[/name] ~ I also love this one, always makes me think of the very talented [name]Helena[/name] Bonham [name]Carter[/name].
[name]Calla[/name] ~ I don’t really like it, it feels very “nciknamey” to me.
[name]Serena[/name] ~ I really like this one, it makes me think of mermaids and the sea.
[name]Georgiana[/name] ~ [name]Lovely[/name]
[name]Portia[/name] ~ It’s nice, but always makes me think of the car.
[name]Edith[/name] ~ Beautiful, it’s on my list too. I always think of the great chanteuse [name]Edith[/name] [name]Piaf[/name] when I hear it.
[name]Lilia[/name] ~ Pretty, but I prefer [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Melisande[/name] ~ [name]One[/name] of my absolute favorites! Stunning!
[name]Margot[/name] ~ Okay. I like [name]Marguerite[/name] or even [name]Margaux[/name] much better.

[name]Vivienne[/name] (or [name]Vivien[/name]) It’s OK… but it is Brangelina
[name]Clarissa[/name] mmm prefer [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Rosamond[/name] alright, prefer [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] Nice- but so many ways to pronounce it
[name]Calla[/name]- cute nn love the idea of [name]Callista[/name] nn [name]Calla[/name]
[name]Serena[/name] Good name- known, nice meaning
[name]Georgiana[/name]- makes me think of the Duchess- I like the name- it’s destined to be shortened- [name]Gigi[/name] is very posh/ upper class sounding
[name]Portia[/name]- I like it
[name]Edith[/name]- with the nn [name]Eadie[/name] very nice
[name]Lilia[/name]- too close to [name]Lily[/name] variants which are popular with all class of people
[name]Melisande[/name]- alright
[name]Margot[/name]- sounds like a snobby old lady to me

thanks a lot! i’m so glad for your help!

[name]Helena[/name] is my favorite!
Hel-lay-na not [name]Helen[/name]-ah

I like:

[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Rosamond[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name] (but only if pronounced the correct English way, jaw-jayn-ah)
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Melisande[/name]
[name]Margot[/name]

Thank you! well niteowl13, actually i love [name]Helen[/name]-a prn. so wdyt of that prn? and thank you maggiemarry.
anyone else?

The name i like the best out of these names is [name]Georgiana[/name]. It’s just so pretty!

[name]Vivienne[/name] (or [name]Vivien[/name]) — I love [name]Vivienne[/name] (or [name]Vivian[/name], or [name]Viviana[/name]), but I don’t care for the spelling [name]Vivien[/name].

[name]Clarissa[/name] — I don’t care for [name]Clarissa[/name], but I love [name]Carissa[/name]. With [name]Clarissa[/name], you get the wonderful nn [name]Clara[/name]. :slight_smile:

[name]Rosamond[/name] — I want to like this name, it ticks all my boxes (classic, known, not too common…) but I just hate the sound and look. It’s the “mond” that gets me, because I love [name]Rose[/name].

[name]Helena[/name] – I love [name]Helena[/name] and [name]Helen[/name], too. Of course, there is the “hell” sound, but that’s never bothered me.

[name]Calla[/name] — love [name]Calla[/name], too! [name]Lovely[/name] name. In Spanish, “calla” means shut up, so if you have/want to have ties to Spanish-speaking culture(s), I would pick another name, or spell it [name]Cala[/name].

[name]Serena[/name] — I love this name, but not sure it’s upper class, given [name]Serena[/name] [name]Williams[/name] and her proclivity for screaming profanities.

[name]Georgiana[/name] — pretty, not my favorite from your list by far though, and not so sure it’s upper class. [name]Georgia[/name] is very southern/common, and [name]Georgiana[/name] to me sounds like it’s [name]Georgia[/name] with too much lipstick.

[name]Portia[/name] – eh. Not my favorite. Sounds like [name]Porsche[/name], and was actually a male character in [name]Shakespeare[/name].

[name]Edith[/name] – I can’t stand this name, not sure I can tell you exactly why, but, the [name]Ed[/name] sure doesn’t help and I’m not particular to the “ith” sound. I know grandma names are coming back, but I think this one isn’t ready yet.

[name]Lilia[/name] – Eh. [name]Lily[/name] is sooo popular, I’d hesitate to use such a similar name, and I wouldn’t consider this upper-class.

[name]Melisande[/name] – I don’t like the sound, and I think it would get confused with [name]Melissa[/name]/[name]Melody[/name]/[name]Melanie[/name]/etc.

[name]Margot[/name] – I simply adore the name [name]Margot[/name], though I’ve found quite a few who disagree with me. But I still love it!

I’d be careful getting too stuck on making sure the name is “upper class.” Names tend to start as rare/weird/unusual, then move to “upper class”, then as they get more popular, move down in the “classes.” The point being, it may seem upper class when the baby is born, but not be so “classy” when baby is in high school. [name]Just[/name] pick a name you love. As long as it’s not yoonique, you should be fine. :slight_smile:

thank you very much:)
anyone else?