Thoughts about Eve

We’re expecting next spring, and I’m trying to sell my husband on [name_f]Eve[/name_f] for a girl. He’s understandably worried about the negative associations (subservient, evil, destructive woman). I think the name has a life of its own apart from the Biblical context.

What’s your initial reaction to [name_f]Eve[/name_f]? Thanks for the thoughts!

[name_m]How[/name_m] serious those concerns are probably depends on how religious your community is. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if [name_f]Eve[/name_f] is a lovely name apart from the Bible, if you live in a community where most people’s exposure to the name is limited to that one story you do have to consider the likely effect of that.

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like any of the names that are similar to [name_f]Eve[/name_f]? [name_u]Eden[/name_u], [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u], [name_f]Eva[/name_f], etc?

I love [name_f]Eve[/name_f]! As a [name_m]Christian[/name_m], I have a positive association with the name, even with knowing about biblical [name_f]Eve[/name_f] (who, despite her transgressions, I am rather fond of).

Have you suggested [name_f]Eva[/name_f] to him?

We live in a liberal area of a conservative state, so I don’t think it would be a major issue. Husband has nixed [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] and though I like [name_f]Eva[/name_f] I worry it’s too close to mega popular [name_f]Ava[/name_f]. [name_f]Glad[/name_f] to hear positive associations, casilda!

I think [name_f]Eve[/name_f] is a beautiful name, lovely in her simple femininity. I agree that she has a life separate from the Biblical context but that is probably the main reference people have of the name - until they meet your daughter :).

As long as you’re not in one of the more extreme parts of the Bible Belt, I think [name_f]Eve[/name_f] would be fine.

I think [name_f]Eve[/name_f] would be lovely.

[name_f]Love[/name_f] it…only positive associations here.

I agree.
As a conservative [name_m]Christian[/name_m] I have positive associations with the name [name_f]Eve[/name_f]. I don’t consider her a Biblical villain at all. To me [name_f]Eve[/name_f] is equally as fresh and straightforward as [name_m]Adam[/name_m]. Unless you read a lot of [name_m]Milton[/name_m] I can’t imagine anyone having a truly negative connection to the name outside of personal associations in their past.

[name_f]Eve[/name_f] is high on my list, but I think [name_f]Liv[/name_f] is inching her out.

1 Like

In that case, you should be fine. It’s great you and your husband are thinking about all the possible pitfalls, but it sounds like you live in an area where this one won’t be insurmountable.

Btw, I’m not sure which part of [name_u]Texas[/name_u] you (apparently) live in, but I just thought I’d add how much I like both [name_m]Austin[/name_m] and [name_m]Houston[/name_m]! The name [name_f]Eve[/name_f] would undoubtedly be fine in either city (or any similar area).

Yes, we’re in [name_m]Austin[/name_m] where there are some pretty out there hipster baby names, so one this classic probably won’t even register :slight_smile:

I really like [name_f]Eve[/name_f], and like some others have said I’m [name_m]Christian[/name_m] and only have positive associations with [name_f]Eve[/name_f].

Our daughter’s name is [name_f]Eve[/name_f], and we love it!

Edited for privacy.

I wouldn’t worry about it–it’s a beautiful name that relates to so much more than “the lady who ate the apple”. The Biblical [name_f]Eve[/name_f] is such an interesting character to me–the whole creation story is–but the name definitely stands on its own as well.

No, it’s not.

I belong to a branch of christianity that doesn’t believe [name_f]Eve[/name_f] was evil or sinful. She’s referred to, quite often, as “glorious mother [name_f]Eve[/name_f]” so for me the association is all positive!
Its a lovely name, i actually just suggested this to my sister this morning for her next daughter. :slight_smile:

I think it’s a Victorian fallback. I mentioned [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_m]Milton[/name_m] because in his Paradise Lost [name_m]Adam[/name_m] is represented as only sinning because he feels bad for [name_f]Eve[/name_f] and wants to be with her. All responsibility for the fall is put on [name_f]Eve[/name_f]. [name_m]Adam[/name_m] is made into a sort of romantic hero for “falling” with his wife out of love for her. Completely unbiblical but yea.

I really appreciate all the thoughtful comments. This has made me feel better about the negative associations. Thanks!

I love [name_f]Eve[/name_f]. [name_f]Evie[/name_f] is one of my top names right now! If you live in [name_m]Austin[/name_m], I don’t think negative connotations with religion is something you’ll have to worry about at all.