Thoughts about Sawyer

[name_f]Do[/name_f] you like the name [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] for a boy? What do you think?

1 Like

I actually loved this name for a long time. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though when I was a little kid I had a best friend who lived next door named [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] who was a girl and the first [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] I ever met, I both associate it with boyishness (maybe due to [name_m]Tom[/name_m] Sawyer) and prefer it as a masculine name.

The only issue I have with it is how common it is. With names that are so truly unisex that it’s nearly evenly split between genders, the problem you run into is that it starts to seem much more frequently used than the rankings actually report. For example, if a name is ranked at #235 for boys and #188 for girls, then it seems like it’s only moderately popular, but you will meet double the number of other kids who have the same name as yours compared to a name that is more singularly gendered. Depending on your style and preferences, this may or may not be a big deal, or even a factor in your consideration of a name at all.

Overall though, I think it’s quite nice. It tends to flow wonderfully with most middle and last names due to being two syllable and having a soft, gentle sound because of the total lack of any hard consonants whatsoever. The boy I picture being named [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] is rugged, outdoorsy, laidback and down-to-earth, friendly, well-liked, confident, kind, sensitive, athletic, and with a good sense of humor. It strikes me as timeless, neither too dated nor trendy, and could easily belong to a guy at any life stage from babyhood to childhood to adolescence to adulthood to the golden years, all equally well.

Absolutely fine choice in my opinion, as either a first or middle option, and you should absolutely go with it without hesitation if your gut is telling you it’s the one. :blue_heart:

2 Likes

[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] has grown on me. Kind of rugged, but smart and tidy too. [name_f]My[/name_f] only hesitation is that it sounds like soya - not a huge deal and definitely not a reason to cast it aside

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]. It’s literary, laidback, and sweet. It also follows the surname-as-first-name trend while still remaining rare enough to be special! It will always be on my list. :evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

I do like the name [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]. [name_f]My[/name_f] first thought is the character on Lost, who I think embodies what I think of the name’s traits (rugged, outspoken, smart).

1 Like

[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] has actually grown on me a little bit recently. I see it as literary and rugged but almost preppy. I like it for a girl too.

1 Like

I don’t love the sound of it, and it’s always kind of been on my mental disliked names list :sweat_smile: but I don’t mean to put other peoples opinions down; I know lots of people like this name.

[name_m]Ive[/name_m] always loved [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u], it feels handsome and boyish and mischievous! It’s one of the few that is be willing to overlook the popularity of it

I really really want to like it for the literary and nature references but I can’t get past that it sounds like soya (at least in my accent).

[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] has been on my list for a very long time for a girl only because I overheard a small girl get called [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] a few years ago. Now, I don’t know which gender I prefer it on. Overall I think [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] is a nice name! Not my favorite, but I like it and if I had to name my baby [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] I wouldn’t complain

Always liked and still like the style but not a fan of names that could be confused to be the other gender and I think this one is there now.

One way that I think you could get a decent estimate of how popular a gender neutral name is overall would be to add the number of births for both genders & then see what girls & boys names had about the same number of births & how high those names are ranked.

[name_f][/name_f]

For example, using the 2021 data from the USA:

[name_f][/name_f]

[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] was ranked #114[name_f][/name_f] for boys with 3,229 male births. [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] was ranked #216[name_f][/name_f] for girls with 1,370 female births. This means a total of 4,599 boys & girls were given the name [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] in 2021 (USA).

[name_f][/name_f]

Now we can look at the girls & boys lists and see what names had the closest number of births as Sawyer’s combined total. Here are the names within 200 births of Sawyer’s combined total.

[name_f][/name_f]

Girls, ranked #41-47:
[name_f][/name_f][name_f]Stella[/name_f], [name_u]Zoe[/name_u], [name_f]Victoria[/name_f], [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_u]Addison[/name_u], [name_f]Leah[/name_f], & [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]

[name_f][/name_f]

Boys, ranked #66-79:
[name_f][/name_f][name_u]Ryan[/name_u], [name_u]Angel[/name_u], [name_u]Cooper[/name_u], [name_m]Waylon[/name_m], [name_u]Easton[/name_u], [name_u]Kai[/name_u], [name_u]Christian[/name_u], [name_u]Landon[/name_u], [name_m]Colton[/name_m], [name_m]Roman[/name_m], [name_u]Axel[/name_u], [name_u]Brooks[/name_u], [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m], & [name_u]Robert[/name_u]

[name_f][/name_f]

(Kai has exactly the same number of births as Sawyer’s combined total & [name_u]Easton[/name_u] is only 1 birth higher.)

[name_f][/name_f]

I hope this helps give a sense of the overall popularity of [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u]. It’s definitely more popular than either individual ranking makes it seem. Personally, I like it for a boy but not as much for a girl.

I don’t seem to like any genderless names very much. Not right or wrong, just my preference. The exception for me is some surnames, which [name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] certainly is, but I still feel lukewarm about it.