Thoughts and opinions on my Top 10?

I’m new to Nameberry, and I’d love to hear your opinions on my (current) top 10 girl names! Which ones do you like? Which do you think sound good together as a sibling pairing? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] are too boring?? Any and all feedback would be much appreciated :blush:

1. [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katharine[/name_f] – I’m undecided as to which of these spellings I like best; my favourite nickname is [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] or [name_f]Cat[/name_f]
  2. [name_f]Anna[/name_f]
  3. [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] - I adore it, but is it too old lady??
  4. [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]
  5. [name_f]Ottoline[/name_f]/Ottillie – I love both of these so much, but I probably wouldn’t have the courage to use either of them
  6. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
  7. [name_f]Thea[/name_f]
  8. [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]/[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]
  9. [name_f]Nancy[/name_f]
  10. [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] – does it sound too ‘British middle class’?
    Thank you!

[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] - Would be my preferred spelling, and with so many nicknames Like [name_f]Cady[/name_f], [name_f]Kitty[/name_f], [name_f]Cat[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], I don’t think it’s boring.

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] - is a timeless name

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] - One of my favorites, I can imagine this name on a girl at any age.

[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] - This is my name and I never met another [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] until I went to college. I think it’s a great name :stuck_out_tongue:

[name_f]Ottoline[/name_f] - I like this one with the nickname Ottillie or [name_f]Tilly[/name_f]. I think it’s a nice name that any little girl can grow into.

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] - I’ve never much liked [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], but love it’s nickname [name_f]Tilly[/name_f]

[name_f]Thea[/name_f] - It’s sweet and I can imagine it on a girl up to early adulthood.

[name_f]Madeline[/name_f] - my preferred spelling. I think it’s so darling; such an elegant classic name!

[name_f]Nancy[/name_f] - This gives me the same vibes as [name_f]Karen[/name_f], so not my favorite.

[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] - I love this name with the nickname Bitta! I would want to use this name if my DH hadn’t vetoed it.

1. [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katharine[/name_f] – [name_u]Love[/name_u] this name! So classic and timeless, and the nickname options are endless. [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] is the most natural spelling to me, but [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] has something very regal about it that I like. [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] is my least favorite variant, but it does have credibility because of [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] Hepburn. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite nicknames are [name_f]Cat[/name_f], [name_u]Kit[/name_u], [name_f]Kitty[/name_f], and you can’t really go wrong with the traditional [name_f]Kate[/name_f] or [name_f]Katie[/name_f].
  2. [name_f]Anna[/name_f] - lovely classic name
  3. [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] - not too old lady at all! With all the vintage names making a comeback, [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] fits right in! I like it a lot.
  4. [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] - one of my personal favorites. Full of spunk and personality but still elegant and with a long history.
  5. [name_f]Ottoline[/name_f]/Ottillie – I like these two! Very strong and quite out there compared to the others, but there are some nickname options that could make them more accessible. There is a [name_u]South[/name_u] African professional ballroom dancer called Oti Mabuse - her full name is Otlile, but Oti/[name_u]Ottie[/name_u] could make a great nn for [name_f]Ottoline[/name_f]/Ottillie. There’s also [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] or maybe [name_u]Ollie[/name_u]?
  6. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] - love [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]! [name_f]Tilly[/name_f] or [name_f]Tilda[/name_f] are great nn options, but I also like it on its own. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] was one of my favorite books and movies growing up, so I definitely have a soft spot for this one
  7. [name_f]Thea[/name_f] - I like this both on its own and as a nn for [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]. I like how gentle it sounds, but there’s a lot of strength to it too.
  8. [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]/[name_f]Madeline[/name_f] - I prefer the [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] spelling. I would pronounce it so that the -line part rhymes with mine as opposed to making it a -lyn sound. And I think [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] is a cute, if a bit overused nickname. If I had a [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], I’d call her [name_f]Della[/name_f].
  9. [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] - honestly I’d love to see more of that name. It’s underrated IMO. I like the way it sounds and I think it’s great on both little girls and adult women.
  10. [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] – when I hear [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f], I think of Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, where the character of [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] went by [name_f]Tibby[/name_f] and was a bit of an artsy rebel, so it’s definitely not too British middle class for me!

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katharine[/name_f] - not my favorite name, but only because I’ve known so many of them. my favorite spelling is [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] though, I just think the C looks nicer. even though its not my personal favorite, I think it’s classic and timeless, you can’t go wrong with it.
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] - a very pretty name! I prefer the ‘ah-na’ pronunciation (like from Frozen!) but both ways are nice.
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] - my favorite on your list! I think it’s so beautiful and sweet and quirky. I don’t think it’s too old lady-ish at all! I agree with pp’s, its definitely ready for a comeback.
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] - I love this name so much. I imagine someone kind, strong, spunky, and brave. I think [name_f]Lydie[/name_f] is a cute nn.
[name_f]Ottoline[/name_f]/Ottillie - both are very pretty. I think they’d make great middles if you’re unsure about them being firsts.
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] - actually this might be my favorite on your list. I love [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] a lot, I think it’s such a perfect name. Also, I love the connection to the character [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], who is one of my favorites!!
[name_f]Thea[/name_f] - this one is nice. I can pictures anyone with this name. it’s very strong, yet soft. I usually prefer it as a nn, but it can work on its own too!
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]/[name_f]Madeline[/name_f] - I always struggle with which spelling I prefer too! I think this is a sweet name, but I’m not a fan of the nickname [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] so I like it more as a middle.
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f] - cute! I think it definitely seems more ‘older’ but I could picture it on a young girl too. I think the character from Stranger Things makes it familiar and fresh.
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] - I’ve never liked this name. I don’t like the way it sounds, and I’ve never personally met anyone nice with this name. it has cute nn options though!

Overall, my favorites from your list are [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], and [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] :slightly_smiling_face:

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] - This is my favorite spelling of the name. I do find it a little boring, but I think the nickname [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] makes it interesting.
[name_f]Anna[/name_f] - [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is a bit too popular over the world for my tastes, though I love the nickname [name_f]Annie[/name_f].
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] - I definitely think [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is going through a revival right now! Incredibly sweet and not dated at all.
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] - Cute and spunky, though not my favorite from your list.
[name_f]Ottoline[/name_f]/Ottillie - I think they’re usable, especially Ottillie with [name_f]Tillie[/name_f] as a nickname!
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] - [name_f]Lovely[/name_f] name, though a bit too popular for me if you live in the UK. The book reference is a great bonus!
[name_f]Thea[/name_f] - Very sweet, though I prefer it as a nickname for [name_f]Theodora[/name_f]/[name_f]Theodosia[/name_f]/[name_f]Althea[/name_f]/[name_f]Anthea[/name_f].
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]/[name_f]Madeline[/name_f] - Feels a bit dated to the early 2000s to me, and [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] is pretty overused as a nickname, though as a full name I do have a soft spot for [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f].
[name_f]Nancy[/name_f] - I personally love [name_f]Nancy[/name_f], but I’m not sure if it’s ready for a revival just yet.
10. [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] - I really don’t know why, but [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] sounds middle-aged to me. Not too British.

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f]! Your list is lovely!

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katharine[/name_f] - a beautiful classic. You definitely can’t go wrong here! I prefer [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], followed by [name_f]Kathryn[/name_f] as far as spelling goes.

[name_f]Anna[/name_f] - another timeless classic! [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is so sweet, simple, and feminine! I love it!

[name_f]Mable[/name_f] - not my cup of tea, but I think it is definitely usable!

[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] - beautiful! This name always makes me imagine a princess in a fairy tale!

[name_f]Ottoline[/name_f]/Ottillie - they’re sweet, but I agree that I probably would use them irl.

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] - this name only makes me think of the movie/book [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], so it’s hard for me to be objective. To me, it’s the name of a girl who is also a witch. Bit don’t worry about what I think! I’m glad you love it!

[name_f]Thea[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Thea[/name_f]! So soft sounding and gentle! [name_f]My[/name_f] only issue is the pronunciation. (Thee-a vs [name_m]Thay[/name_m]-a)

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]/[name_f]Madeline[/name_f] - another classic! [name_u]Love[/name_u] it!

[name_f]Nancy[/name_f] - is a little dated for my taste.

[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] - I just think of a tabby cat, but if you don’t, then go for it!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

Great list!

Here are my thoughts:

1. [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katharine[/name_f] – I’m undecided as to which of these spellings I like best; my favourite nickname is [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] or [name_f]Cat[/name_f]-This is a nice solid name. I like the ‘C’ spelling best, because it looks the most polished for whatever reason. That being said, I love [name_f]Kitty[/name_f]. And [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Kitty[/name_f] doesn’t make as much sense as [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Kitty[/name_f]. [name_f]Katharine[/name_f] may just get misspelled a lot.

2. [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-This is nice. It’s not super amazing, but a good solid pretty name.

3. [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] - I adore it, but is it too old lady??-No way. Old lady names are all the rage! [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is super duper sweet. I really like it.

4. [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]-This is pretty. It’s not my favorite for some reason, but it’s good. I think that [name_f]Lydie[/name_f] sounds snobby, but that’s just a personal opinion.

5. [name_f]Ottoline[/name_f]/Ottillie – I love both of these so much, but I probably wouldn’t have the courage to use either of them-I adore [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]. It’s so sing-songy, but also sophisticated. I think I like [name_f]Ottoline[/name_f]? Is it ‘line’ or ‘leen’? Either way is pretty, but you may have some spelling/mispronunciation issues.

6. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]-This is fine. I feel like I see it on these boards a lot, so it’s kind of lost it’s luster. It’s cute though. And solid.

7. [name_f]Thea[/name_f]-Ooh, I like this. I kind of prefer it as a nn (mostly for [name_f]Anthea[/name_f]), but it stands alone on its own. It’s simple, smart & charming.

8. [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]/[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]-I’ve recently learned that [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is more like ‘Mad-len’, & [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] is ‘Mad-uh-line’. I find the former much nicer. And simpler too. [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] has a kind cheerful feel. I love [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] nn [name_f]Maisy[/name_f].

9. [name_f]Nancy[/name_f]-This is fine. It’s kind of different these days. Not my favorite, but not bad.

10. [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] – does it sound too ‘British middle class’?-I’m not sure. I’m in the U.S., & the only [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] that I know has a mother from [name_f]England[/name_f], so maybe? :grin: It’s cute though. She goes by [name_f]Tabby[/name_f], & is a very cheeky little kid. So, it’s a cheeky name to me, LOL.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:
!

I don’t think [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] or [name_f]Anna[/name_f] are too boring at all, and they’re both in my top ten as well. I like the spelling [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] best, especially if you’re going to use the nickname [name_f]Cat[/name_f], which I think is adorable and much sweeter than [name_f]Kat[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], it’s old ladyish but it’s cute and spunky enough to be very wearable. IMO. [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] is very pretty and graceful.
[name_f]Ottoline[/name_f] and [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] are growing on me, but they’re a bit out there for my taste.
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] and [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] feel like a very similar style to me–I know they’re both very popular in [name_f]England[/name_f], but I’m American and I can only speak to how they would feel over here, which is in my opinion a little stiff and pretentious. I also don’t find the sound of either of them very attractive.
I love [name_f]Thea[/name_f]! It’s cute, strong, and pretty all at once.
[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]/[name_f]Madeline[/name_f] is a nice name but somewhat overused. I prefer the spelling [name_f]Madeline[/name_f].

[name_f]Nancy[/name_f] is definitely a bit dated, but I think it’s a nice name and it’s cute enough to be wearable on a baby. I think it’s interesting because it’s not as old-fashioned as [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] or the other cohort of names from that period that are actually being rediscovered, but it’s old-fashioned enough that it would be rare in a modern-day child’s generation. I read once that parents are more likely to bring back names common in their great-grandparents’ generation than in their grandparents’, because they feel historical rather than “old”. [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] still feels a bit like a grandma name, not quite historical. But it has a nice sound and energy and maybe it’s ripe for rediscovery like [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] or [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] or other even more old-fashioned names.

• [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] is lovely! It’s hard to beat such a classic name – not boring at all!
  • [name_f]Anna[/name_f] is a little common, though it depends on how you pronounce it. [name_f]Ann[/name_f]-uh is more common than [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-nuh (at least in the US), so it does feel a little boring to me – but I really like the sweet, simplicity of it.
  • [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is quite old-fashioned, but so many “old lady” names are coming back into style. [name_f]Mabel[/name_f] would be a great choice for a girl born today!
  • [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] just perfectly balances that line between familiar and common. It feels so timeless and has such a pretty sound. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it!
  • [name_f]Ottoline[/name_f]/Ottillie would both probably be a little out there and have potential for pronunciation issues.
  • [name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is spunky and adorable! Definitely a great choice.
  • [name_f]Thea[/name_f] is one I personally have never found appealing, but it feels like a great choice today, a fitting alternative to both [name_f]Mia[/name_f] and [name_f]Cora[/name_f].
  • [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is the spelling I prefer, but, while it is lovely, all the other forms of this name and other [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] names are just so common.
  • [name_f]Nancy[/name_f] is so charming! I love this name and would love to see it dusted off and put to use on little girls again.
  • [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] is pretty much unheard of in the US, and I’m not a fan myself, tbh. But if you love it, I don’t think it’s a bad choice by any means. (No negative associations come to mind.)

[name_f]Catherine[/name_f] is my favorite spelling, and I don’t find ot too boring. I do find [name_f]Anna[/name_f] a little dull. To me there are many more dynamic forms of this name.

I adore [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]! I live in the US so I have no context for how British it is and I’m not sire why something being viewed as middle class would be a negative, but I think it’s a great name.

[name_f]Mabel[/name_f] is darling and not too old lady.

[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] is classic and strong but still super feminine.

I prefer [name_f]Ottoline[/name_f] to [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f], but either could make a for a good middle name if you aren’t confident using them as a first.

[name_f]Matilda[/name_f] is up there with [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] and [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] for me. Classic, pretty, but not frilly, familiar but not overused.

[name_f]Thea[/name_f]- a bit trendy but with good reason; lovely, soft, and understated.

I prefer [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] personally. This falls in with [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] and [name_f]Anna[/name_f], classic, fairly popular, not the most exciting but solid choices.

[name_f]Nancy[/name_f]- not my favorite but it has a retro charm. Might still be a touch dated/edging into old lady territory. No unusable though.

1. [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]- not my fave, but I can’t deny its beauty
  2. [name_f]Anna[/name_f]- adorable and classic
  3. [name_f]Mabel[/name_f]- so cute! I don’t think it’s too old ladyish at all
  4. [name_f]Lydia[/name_f]- I love [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] so much
  5. [name_f]Ottoline[/name_f]/Ottillie- I prefer how Ottillie sounds but the spelling is sort of strange and just makes it hard to read you know? I love both of them though
  6. [name_f]Matilda[/name_f]- one of my favorite names
  7. [name_f]Thea[/name_f]- ooh I love [name_f]Thea[/name_f]!
  8. [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]/[name_f]Madeline[/name_f]- a little plain and too popular with the other names imo
  9. [name_f]Nancy[/name_f]- I love [name_f]Nancy[/name_f]
  10. [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]- so pretty! I don’t think it sounds too British middle class