Thoughts on a few names, please.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone!

Could I have thoughts on a few boy names, please? I’ve posted most of these before. [name_m]Feel[/name_m] free to comment again or or the first time. I’m not expecting or expecting to expect, but it’s fun to have a list none the less. Our ln is very Irish (a ‘[name_m]Mac[/name_m]’ name), & my background is Jewish. Mn will be [name_m]David[/name_m] for most of these after my late dad.

[name_m]Albert[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]-[name_m]Albert[/name_m] was my grandpa, so this name has double special significance. I love that about it, & it’s super unique around here. The only problem is that I don’t care for [name_m]Al[/name_m], [name_m]Albie[/name_m] or [name_u]Bert[/name_u]. I don’t mind [name_u]Bertie[/name_u] that much. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think undesirable nns are unavoidable?

[name_m]Colm[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]-I know that [name_m]Colm[/name_m] is not everyone’s cup of tea. I read in a book, & fell in love. It means ‘dove’, & I think that the sound is as beautiful the meaning. It’d be impossibly annoying to expect people here in the midwest United States to ever said it right. From what I understand, it’s basically ‘[name_m]Cole[/name_m]-um’, but faster if that makes sense…

[name_m]Calum[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]-This would be my alternative to [name_m]Colm[/name_m]. It’s way easier. I don’t love it as much, but I do really like [name_u]Cal[/name_u]. It sounds like a baseball player name, which is a great thing in my book.

[name_m]Ewan[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]

[name_m]Gibson[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]-I don’t even think that I love [name_m]Gibson[/name_m] that much, but I love [name_m]Gibby[/name_m]. I have also thought of [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] nn [name_m]Gibby[/name_m]. [name_m]Gibson[/name_m] is a bit more interesting.

[name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]-This is too popular for me to consider, I think. It’s a great classic charming name though, isn’t it?

[name_m]Liev[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]-I don’t like how there are so many 'V’s in this combo, but maybe not a big deal. I could do [name_m]Liev[/name_m] [name_m]Dawson[/name_m]. [name_m]Liev[/name_m] is a Yiddish version of [name_m]Lev[/name_m], which means ‘heart’. That’s sweet, isn’t it? My great grandparents spoke Yiddish, so I like that part. And this is super unique.

[name_u]Max[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m]-Same as [name_m]Jack[/name_m].

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]-My husband loves this name. I want to like it, but sometimes I just hear maggot …

[name_m]Nolan[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]-My husband hates this name! I love it though. It sounds like a baseball player, but also sort of like a rugged yet thoughtful woodsman.

[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m]

[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]-My husband loves this one too. I like it. But I mostly love [name_m]Sol[/name_m] & [name_m]Solly[/name_m]. [name_m]Sol[/name_m] was my great grandpa, & I think his name was just [name_m]Sol[/name_m]. It’s too nick-namey in my opinion though.

Thanks!

My favorites on this list are [name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_m]Calum[/name_m], [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m]!

I do think it would be impossible to avoid all nicknames with [name_m]Albert[/name_m], but I do think you could encourage people to use the full name. I think [name_m]Colm[/name_m] is a little difficult for Americans, but with names becoming more diverse these days, I think people would get it once they hear it a couple times. Too bad your husband doesn’t like [name_m]Nolan[/name_m], I think it’s a great name! Would he like [name_m]Noam[/name_m]? Might be too close to [name_u]Noah[/name_u] for you, which is quite popular. I prefer [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] as a full name but you could totally call him [name_m]Sol[/name_m] all the time and just have the full name as a formality. Unless you want to spell it [name_m]Saul[/name_m] which I think somehow stands alone better?

[name_m]Albert[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]- I love this name! I think nicknames are pretty unavoidable for most names but once you say “[name_m]Just[/name_m] [name_m]Albert[/name_m]” people will usually respect that.

[name_m]Colm[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]- I like [name_m]Colm[/name_m]. I would guess that people might mispronounce it by saying “[name_m]Calm[/name_m]”. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though most should know how to say it, there are always dummies lol.

[name_m]Calum[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]- Definitely the safer version of [name_m]Colm[/name_m].

[name_m]Ewan[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - A great name that people will definitely mispronounce. [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] [name_m]McGregor[/name_m] helped people get familiar but not familiar enough.

[name_m]Gibson[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]- [name_m]Gibson[/name_m] is a cool name and I guarantee that people will naturally call him [name_m]Gibby[/name_m] which they wouldn’t with [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m].

[name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]- Yeah it’s too popular. If that bothers you it’s not the name for you!

[name_m]Liev[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]- [name_m]Liev[/name_m] is a great name. I wouldn’t throw [name_m]David[/name_m] out for it though! You seem to really love using [name_m]David[/name_m], so I would pick something else and not sacrifice your father’s influence.

[name_u]Max[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m]- Exactly. Same as [name_m]Jack[/name_m] lol.

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]- I didn’t even think of maggot until now! Also [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] Mclastname sounds like a [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] character.

[name_m]Nolan[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]- [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] is nice but idk if you’ll convince your husband!

[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] - I’m surprised to see this name on your list. It seems too nature-based.

[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]- I like that you could honor two men in your family with this name. [name_m]Solly[/name_m] is a cute nickname.

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] is my favourite of your names, though it does make a strong statement with a [name_m]Mac[/name_m] surname.

I also really like [name_m]Colm[/name_m], [name_m]Callum[/name_m], [name_m]Liev[/name_m], [name_m]Gibson[/name_m] and [name_m]Jack[/name_m]. And I don’t mind [name_m]Albert[/name_m] - [name_u]Bertie[/name_u] is sweet. With nns I think you just have to decide up front to be clear if people say [name_m]Al[/name_m] or [name_m]Albie[/name_m], ‘no, it’s [name_m]Albert[/name_m] or [name_u]Bertie[/name_u].’ If you’re not sure that you’ll do that and you really don’t like [name_m]Al[/name_m] or [name_m]Alby[/name_m] then I wouldn’t use it. I like [name_u]Max[/name_u] too though not sure with [name_m]Mac[/name_m] surname.

Sorry, I dislike [name_m]Nolan[/name_m] - not the least bit rugged to my mind, [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] and [name_m]Solomon[/name_m].

What about [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m], nn [name_m]Colm[/name_m]? I think [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] would be perfect!

For me I think [name_m]Calum[/name_m] rolls off my tongue a bit better then [name_m]Colm[/name_m].

Other alternatives:
[name_m]Tobias[/name_m]
[name_m]Levi[/name_m]
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]
[name_m]Donovan[/name_m]

[name_m]Albert[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - I think the meaning is lovely, and I love [name_m]Albert[/name_m], but would you be okay with him choosing to go by a nickname in school? Or his friends calling him by a nickname sometimes? Because it seems likely once he’s older.

[name_m]Colm[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - The pronunciation confuses me a bit, I wouldn’t say it like that, and I don’t love the name anyway. I love the idea of it being a nickname for [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] though.

[name_m]Calum[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - [name_m]Calum[/name_m] is great! Really handsome. I’d spell it [name_m]Callum[/name_m] though, I’m pretty sure it’s the more popular spelling.

[name_m]Ewan[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - I adore the way [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] sounds! If you have Scottish heritage definitely use it, if not it might be a bit weird but still doable I think…

[name_m]Gibson[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - [name_m]Gibson[/name_m]/[name_m]Gibby[/name_m] seem a little silly to me, but I get the appeal though. I do see him going by [name_m]Gibson[/name_m] and not [name_m]Gibby[/name_m] when he’s older, so since you don’t love that I wouldn’t advice you to use it.

[name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - Again, I definitely get the appeal of [name_m]Jack[/name_m], but it just seems a bit boring nowadays, with [name_m]Jack[/name_m], [name_m]Jackson[/name_m], [name_m]Jaxon[/name_m] and [name_m]Jaxson[/name_m] in the top 100.

[name_m]Liev[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - I think [name_m]Liev[/name_m] is a really cool name! A bit v-heavy, but not so much that it sounds bad at all. It’s one of my favorites.

[name_u]Max[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] - I do prefer it to [name_m]Jack[/name_m], but I think there are more interesting names in your list. Or you could use a more unique longer form, like [name_u]Maxime[/name_u] or [name_m]Maximilian[/name_m].

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - I agree with your husband that [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] is very handsome, but if you keep thinking maggots then unfortunately it’s probably not for you! It’s a shame because I love [name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] as a combo as well.

[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] - [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] is all girl to me, sorry!

[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - I don’t love [name_m]Solomon[/name_m], but I agree that [name_m]Sol[/name_m] is so cool ! Another one of my favorites from your list.

Are you looking for suggestions?

[name_m]Albert[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - this has a charming and unexpected feel, though you may not realistically be able to avoid the nicknames- remember, he might like them himself.

[name_m]Colm[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] -[name_m]Colm[/name_m] has a quiet yet rugged feel. I like this one

[name_m]Calum[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] -i much prefer the spelling [name_m]Callum[/name_m]. This name is so charming and happy though and I really like it

[name_m]Ewan[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] -i love [name_m]Ewan[/name_m]. It has such an interesting sound.

[name_m]Gibson[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] -its okay but i don’t find the sounds appealing. [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] ‘[name_m]Gibby[/name_m]’? [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]?

[name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]- a little unexciting, sorry.

[name_m]Liev[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - [name_m]Liev[/name_m] is intriguing, I do quite like it and it’s meaning :slight_smile: [name_m]Liev[/name_m] [name_m]Dawson[/name_m] is nice

[name_u]Max[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] -i prefer this to [name_m]Jack[/name_m]. [name_u]Max[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] has charm. [name_m]Cormac[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] '[name_m]Mac[/name_m]?

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]- strong and rugged yet studious too. But if you hear Maggot, maybe not. [name_m]Angus[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]? [name_m]Maddox[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]?

[name_m]Nolan[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - nice but a shame yourhusband doesn’t like it. [name_m]Nathan[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]?

[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] - soft, cool and brilliant

[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] is fantastic. Deep, gentle but strong with great nn potential

[name_m]Albert[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - This sounds very nice and classic, and I think a nn is avoidable.

[name_m]Colm[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - I think this sounds very gentle and sweet. And I actually like it better than [name_m]Callum[/name_m]!

[name_m]Ewan[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - It’s fine, though I agree that some might mispronounce it.

[name_m]Gibson[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - I think I kind of like it. It’s very different but could only stand out in a good way from all the Carsons, Masons, Jacksons, Graysons, etc. I second the suggestion of [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m], though, if you’re not as keen on [name_m]Gibson[/name_m]. You can certainly get to ‘[name_m]Gibby[/name_m]’ through [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m].

[name_m]Jack[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] & [name_u]Max[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] - Definitely pretty popular, but that’s not super important if you really love either name…

[name_m]Liev[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - I like the sentiment, but, yeah, it does feel like maybe a little too much ‘v’ for so short a name. I wouldn’t throw out [name_m]David[/name_m], though! Maybe save [name_m]Liev[/name_m] for a future son.

[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - I’m with you on [name_m]Magnus[/name_m]!

[name_m]Nolan[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - I personally don’t love [name_m]Nolan[/name_m], but it’s certainly fine. However, if your husband doesn’t like it, I’d say it’s not ‘the one’.

[name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] [name_m]David[/name_m] - [name_m]Just[/name_m] not a fan, personally.

[name_m]Solomon[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] - It’s fine as a combo, but…are they too close? As in, [name_m]Solomon[/name_m] being [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]'s son…

I think my favorite is [name_m]Colm[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m]… Though I am really liking [name_m]Gibson[/name_m], too, the more I think about it. :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone!

rosejuliet-I do like [name_m]Noam[/name_m]. It’s Hebrew too, which is really cool. I’m not sure that I love it, but is one to mull over. And you’re right that [name_m]Saul[/name_m] is a better stand alone name. I pronounce them slightly differently. [name_m]Sol[/name_m] rhymes w/owl & [name_m]Saul[/name_m] rhymes w/[name_m]Paul[/name_m].

juliem1912-I think that you’re right that [name_m]Liev[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] is fine. I shouldn’t let the 'v’s bug me. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you think people would say [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] wrong? You’re probably right. I hadn’t thought about that one. I think that [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] is my favorite from the list. Maybe slightly after [name_m]Colm[/name_m].

araminty-[name_m]Magnus[/name_m] does sound cool w/our ln. And you’re right that [name_m]Albert[/name_m] could choose a new nn when he’s older.

river_dweller-I really like [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m], but I think that [name_m]Colm[/name_m] is said differently than the the ‘colm’ in [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m], so it might be weird. [name_m]Malcolm[/name_m] is handsome & Gaelic-y though, so it’s a good one to consider. I like the suggestion of [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]. I really want to like that one, because [name_u]Sully[/name_u] is pretty cute, & its’ a fairly unique Gaelic name.

emmievis-[name_m]Callum[/name_m] is the more popular spelling, but I think that since I’d definitely use the nn [name_u]Cal[/name_u], [name_m]Calum[/name_m] just looks better. As for [name_m]Ewan[/name_m], we don’t have Scottish heritage. [name_m]Just[/name_m] Irish. Hopefully that wouldn’t be too weird. [name_m]Ewan[/name_m] is my favorite after [name_m]Colm[/name_m]. My husband would love a [name_m]Maximus[/name_m] nn [name_u]Max[/name_u]. It’s a bit much for me. I wish that we were Italian, so I could do [name_m]Massimo[/name_m] nn [name_u]Max[/name_u]! Sure, I’ll take some suggestions.

greyblue-You’re right that [name_m]Colm[/name_m] is quiet yet rugged. That’s definitely my favorite style of boy name it appears. I think that [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] nn [name_m]Gibby[/name_m] is adorable. Maybe just a little too nerdy for me to consider in real life. I like [name_m]Angus[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] too, but sometimes it just reminds me of beef.

elanorelle-I’m so glad that you like [name_m]Colm[/name_m]! Ha, I hadn’t thought of the [name_m]King[/name_m] [name_m]David[/name_m] thing. You’re right that that may be weird.