Thoughts on Abigail?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone!
Today, I’ve got a new name crush - [name_f]Abigail[/name_f]. I think it’s beautiful, biblical, and has a lovely meaning “a father’s joy”. I also like the nickname Abbie/Abby/Abbey. What do you guys think of it? Also what aesthetic/vibes do you get?
Thinking of adding it to my shortlist.
Thank you!

4 Likes

[name_f]Gorgeous[/name_f]. [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] is amazing! i love the [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] spelling!

2 Likes

[name_f]Abigail[/name_f] is a solid and classic name -versatile and pretty cute

1 Like

thank you! I love the [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] spelling of the nickname too - I just can’t work out which I like most!

1 Like

thank you! I agree :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_u]Love[/name_u] it, and you make a compelling case! [name_m]Reading[/name_m] this post got me wondering why I don’t have it on my short list…! Only drawback I guess is its popularity

1 Like

As for aesthetic/vibes — agree that it seems quite versatile, and I can picture a lot of different traits going with this name. But overall seems spunky, independent, outgoing!

2 Likes

Thank you! I do agree, it feels versatile. I like the description in the Bible of [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] being smart and beautiful, so I can see those two traits. I’m also thinking studious and modest, and kind, generous and compassionate :heart:

3 Likes

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

I think it’s lovely! It’s homey and bookish and charming. It’s old fashioned and gives me an ‘Anne of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables’ vibe. Which I’ve never even read ( :blush:), but [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] wears those clothes and feels very that time period and aesthetic if that makes sense. [name_u]Abbie[/name_u] (I like this spelling, because I know a sweet little [name_u]Aberdeen[/name_u] nn Abbie) is a bit peppier and sassy and spunky than [name_f]Abigail[/name_f]. So, if you used [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] nn [name_u]Abbie[/name_u], you get the best of both worlds. [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] is supposedly very popular, but I rarely to never hear it out in the real world.

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! I do agree that those vibes suit it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I like [name_f]Belle[/name_f] for [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] as a nickname and in general I feel this name green as a colour and of honey scent, a simple and beautiful name.

It has a warm, yellow, sunshine colour in my mind. I’ve met quite a few, especially with nn [name_u]Abi[/name_u] or [name_u]Abbie[/name_u]. I think of a friendly girl next door type personality. I can see it as a fairly classic [name_f]English[/name_f] name but also hear it in my mind in more of an American drawl - that might be because it’s the first lady’s name in The [name_u]West[/name_u] [name_m]Wing[/name_m]? If you don’t know the show, she is a fantastic character played by [name_f]Stockard[/name_f] [name_u]Channing[/name_u] - sassy and smart. She goes by [name_u]Abbey[/name_u]. [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] is also the name of one of the geese in the Aristocats :sweat_smile:

[name_f]Abigail[/name_f] is a solid and lovely classic!

I love [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] x

[name_f]Beautiful[/name_f] name!! I like the [name_u]Abby[/name_u] spelling for the nn, I never knew other spellings existed.

oh, i love her! :pancakes:

i’ve always had a soft spot for abigail, because it is my favorite cousin’s name. she’s always gone by ‘abby’ but i think it’s just as lovely in full form. it gives me sort of the same vibes as hannah and rachel, comforting, gentle, and grounded, but has some of the more fun spunk of a biblical name like heidi. it also feels quite puritan, which makes it a perfect name for this time of year! :fallen_leaf::lady_beetle:

I love Abigail!!!Such a happy, strong name. [name_u]Abby[/name_u] is a very cute nickname! [name_u]Abby[/name_u] is my favourite spelling, but I also like [name_u]Abi[/name_u] and [name_u]Abbey[/name_u]

It’s a beautiful name, but I really dislike [name_u]Abby[/name_u]- which is almost inevitable

[name_f]Abigail[/name_f] is popular and has been for quite a few years now, but it still makes me smile! It was my first favorite girl’s name. I’m honestly not that fond of [name_u]Abby[/name_u] (in any spelling) - it just seems quite bland to me, but it’s standard and is fine. I would personally prefer [name_f]Ailey[/name_f] or [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] or even [name_f]Bea[/name_f] or something along those lines, but [name_u]Abby[/name_u] is nice. These days I like it more as a middle, but I think something like [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_f]Leona[/name_f], [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_f]Mercy[/name_f], or [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] are all really nice. :slight_smile:

Good luck!

this is my name (at least, a different spelling of it) and while I really don’t like it, reading these comments made me smile :relaxed: I’ve always found my name basic, boring, old fashioned, too biblical (even when I was religious), and overused, and I usually see similar comments when it’s brought up online. while I would be just fine never meeting anyone else with this name ever again, it was nice to actually hear some positive things about it!