Thoughts on Aeralisse

What are your thoughts about the name Aeralisse? ([name_f]Air[/name_f]-Uh-leese) This is a name that I thought of a couple years back. Its my all time favorite but will my baby like it just as much as I do? I am a “[name_f]Jessica[/name_f]”… there was 5 of me in my small spanish class in highschool so I can appreciate a unique name, however I don’t want to overdo it either.

My husband thinks it sounds like a little glass doll - is he right? I feel like she has a lot of options with this name Aeralie, Aera, Aeri, [name_u]Ari[/name_u], [name_u]Ali[/name_u], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], etc.

Our last name is Gross - which isn’t terrible, but I do feel a certain sense of duty to “overcompensate” for the last name so “gross” isn’t the highlight. Is there a better way to spell it phonetically?
In full her name would be Aeralisse [name_f]Mila[/name_f] Gross.

Any thoughts?

I think it definitely sounds made-up. Sorry. I also would not choose a first name that ends in an “s” sound the way that the last name does. It makes for a weird flow.

You seem to like very unique and uncommon names–I’m the same way. But I think if you hang around here long enough, you’ll develop more of a taste for names that tread into that territory, without going too far “out there” to the point that they lack certain qualities and you may regret choosing them later on. I know my taste in names has evolved in a positive way thanks to the influence of NB.

I’m definitely new at this so thank you for any and all insight! I never thought about the conflicting “S’s”

I agree that it sounds made-up. I have no idea how to pronounce it and it looks kind of like a jumble of vowels, sorry :frowning: I also agree with the s. What about [name_f]Arabella[/name_f]?

My husband is SUPER picky. He doesn’t like [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] and we also have a niece named [name_f]Isabella[/name_f], so that wouldn’t work. Thank you!

I’m actually in the minority and a little surprised at myself–I don’t hate the name. I think it’s actually really pretty when said out loud. However, I think maybe you could work on the spelling, as I would definitely have trouble with that if I saw it in print. I’d need a couple of seconds to sound it out in my head first (before you broke it down, I thought it sounded more like airless).

I think there are so many names these days that “sound made up” that this really doesn’t sound that “out there.” Work on the spelling and I think it sounds find. However, seeing as you like more “out there” names, I would suggest looking through some other threads or Nameberry’s list of names by popularity. I don’t think that “unique” necessarily needs to mean made up. You could possibly find something that is in the name thread of Aeralisse without being so “out there.” I mean, have you ever considered [name_f]Annalisse[/name_f]?

When I say Aeralisse, it sounds beautiful. The spelling is a little off, but there’s not really a way to fix it. I love how it sounds. If you say the full name, Aeralisse [name_f]Mila[/name_f] Gross, the “s” sound is okay, but when you just say Aeralisse Gross it is a little conflicting but its really not bad because the “s” sound in “lisse” is slightly different then in “oss”. The nicknames are beautiful and full of possibilities but I wouldn’t know how to spell it myself if I just heard it. It reminds me of my favorite, [name_f]Analeigh[/name_f], which is why I think that I like it. I think it could definitely work!

I too like the name very much—along with the middle name its very very pretty. I agree that the S’s are different sounding enough to not conflict. I read the name correctly before I saw how you phonetically spelled it…Its sweet—and if you have a special place for it in your heart and your hubby loves it too—I think you may have your girls name–good luck!

Well, it’s a lot of letters and an invented name, and between the two I sort of had to look at it for a second to figure it out. Neither one of those things is bad, but the combo of the two can be a little perplexing. It’s still pretty, and sounds enough like several established names that I think people would accept it. Maybe a more streamlined spelling, like Aralise or Arelice would make it easier, not sure.

If you’re looking for a similar name, a few are:
Araceli / Aracely / Aracelis / Aracelia
Anneliese
Annalie
Araminta
Ariel / Ariella
Amina
Amira
Amara
Aminta
Arianne

Edit: how “weird” the name will seem (to your daughter, because that’s who matters) depends on where you live. I see your info says Washington State. One of my friends works at a school in Seattle and there is such an amazing, huge range of names that her kids have … but maybe a rural community would be different. If actually using an invented name feels uncomfortable to you, there’s a big range of popularity in between 80s babies named Jessica versus a one-of-a-kind name. Names ranked in the 200s-1000 are often familiar(…ish) without being overused.

I have a friend with the LN Gross, and went to grade school with another. I don’t think either was ever teased about it but I understand wanting to choose a pretty first name.

What about Eirlys? It’s Welsh and means snowdrop. You could modify it to Eirlyssa to avoid two s endings.

To be quite honest I am not the biggest fan of this name. It does look pretty written, but when I said it aloud, it sounded like the words “air” and “lease” put together. It also feels like a made-up name. I like the above suggestion of Eirlys. Have you also maybe considered [name_f]Arwen[/name_f]? Or Aerona, which is another Welsh name?

[name_m]Even[/name_m] if I liked it, I agree that the double S sound at the end, conflicts too much with the surname.

I feel the name is pretty, but the spelling is not working - and it will be hard for others to pronounce. If you insist on keeping the name, try some of these alt spellings:

Araleis
Araleigh
Aralee

But honestly, if your hubby doesn’t like it I would move on to some other nice alternatives that still have the same feel:

[name_u]Ariel[/name_u]
[name_f]Arielle[/name_f]
[name_f]Aria[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariana[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
Averly
[name_u]Ara[/name_u]
[name_f]Averi[/name_f]
Aerie
[name_u]Averell[/name_u]
[name_f]Aviela[/name_f]
[name_f]Arwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Anwen[/name_f]

Its funny you should mention [name_f]Annalise[/name_f], I actually had a friend named [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_u]Lisa[/name_u] and I liked the cadence of the name. it was was sort of a “root” to where Aeralisse came from. It brought a huge smile to my face that SOMEONE thought it was pretty! We may have to just really work over the spelling. “[name_f]Elise[/name_f]” is a name that has so many differing spellings and everyone says it so very differently - that’s where I run into problems. I have a cousin named Kyleise (same sounds) but I think Araleise looks even more wonky than the original spelling.

I like the suggestion best about Eirlys but I’m not exactly sure how to say it. I like the meaning a lot! I really appreciate the constructive criticism, it really gets me thinking! I’m not a fan of [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] - to me for some reason it sounds too masculine or like something from a movie. As for the hubby - he is super picky and honestly can’t give me a definitive name he likes, and when he does he decides its not that great the next day lol. Its hilarious. Aeralisse is tame compared to some of the names my husband has suggested… Naming is so hard!

I am not a fan of made up names. To me, it looks phonetically like [name_u]Ara[/name_u]-liss not [name_u]Ara[/name_u]-lees. So there’s one issue with the spelling. It will also be a pain in the arse for the child to spell it to people when she is young when they misspell it (which will happen all. the. time.) I have a unique name which I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] having, but I’ve had to spell/pronounce my name for people since I can remember being able to talk. I’d try to either come up with a phonetic spelling of the name, or find another name that suits your fancy. [name_f]Remember[/name_f] that this will be her name for life, so if she doesn’t like having a made up name, that won’t be so great for her.

I actually like, but I do agree that it looks made up, but only looks. It doesn’t particularly sound made up. Try a different spelling, such as Aralyse (which makes it look like an ancient Greek name to me) or Aralise. It still has the sound but the truncated spelling of one of these seems to lend it a legitimate air, like it actually is a name with a pedigree.

According to a commenter on BehindtheName, Eirlys is pronounced, Ayr-liss or Ayr-lees. The website forvo dot com has a man saying the name Ayr-liss with a rolled “r”.

I love it! Such a cute name and girly name :slight_smile:

Thank you guys. I do really love the suggestions about spelling! SO helpful! Also in my research I surprisingly found and Aeralie (which I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] as a nickname). She is vocalist and boy, I wish I could pick her brain on how she likes her name and where it came from! She sings for soundtracks - http://www.aeraliebrighton.com/ We are definitely going to do our best to spell it as phonetically as possible. Its neat to have a unique name to then to have spelling issues on top of that would definitely be a bit overwhelming.