Thoughts on Alastair?

We are expecting a boy in July and my husband and I have had a really hard time agreeing on a name. My favorite by far has been [name]Liam[/name] but I know that’s really popular and DH doesn’t want to use a popular name, although I’m still holding out hope. I also like [name]Benjamin[/name] and it sounds good with our last name, which starts with B. But I just came across the name [name]Alastair[/name]. DH said he likes it and I do too, but is it a name my son will get beaten up over? Does it sound snobby? Or smart? I’m also thinking of [name]Ronan[/name] or [name]Rowan[/name] for a middle name, but [name]Rowan[/name] seems to be pretty feminine right now.

[name]Alastair[/name] [name]Rowan[/name] is a gorgeous name. ([name]Love[/name] [name]Rowan[/name] for a boy btw!). I’m British so the pn comes out as al-ah-stuh. I think in the states they make more of the stair sound on the end which I don’t like at all (anyone else want to chime in on this?). If you dislike the stair sound you could consider the spelling Alastor to avoid it :slight_smile:

Oops just realised didn’t answer all your questions! It’s not a name that would result in bullying in the UK - it’s fairly common. Most definitely not feminine. The [name]Alastair[/name]'s I’ve know have all been well liked fairly modest bright lads. I wouldn’t consider it snobby at all but this may be different in US.

Yep, I’m american and where I’m from, we pronounce it kind of like alice-stair. Some people say it alister though. Sorry, that ones hard to explain, even for me it comes out different every time, you know? It is a really handsome name though, and he most definitely wouldn’t get beat up for it, I don’t see any teasing potential really other than his name will probably be a bit different from his classmates’- which isn’t really bad anyway. Also, [name]Rowan[/name] isn’t completely feminine at all and I think it would sound great with [name]Alastair[/name] as a first.

Alastair is a terrific name and he can call himself Al if he likes. It is a favourite of mine. Please, please do not change the spelling unless you are going with the popular Alister.

rollo

I love [name]Alastair[/name]! It’s a great name and I don’t think he’ll get beaten up over it. [name]Rowan[/name] has always been a girl name to me (I’ve only ever known girls named [name]Rowan[/name] and only ever seen girls on TV and in books with the name). I do love [name]Ronan[/name] though. [name]Alastair[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] is very cool!

I love [name]Alastair[/name]. I think [name]Alastair[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] sounds great, very Irish. :slight_smile:
[name]Rowan[/name] is also nice, and since it’s the middle name, I don’t think you should worry too much about its popularity as girl’s name.

I personally think it is fantastic! It’s smart sounding, but not not ‘super nerdy.’ It also has ‘cool points’ for being a [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] character name.

Thank you for your replies. :slight_smile: I would probably pronounce it like alis-stir but I can definitely see people saying alis-stair because of the spelling. I actually like either way though. I love that it’s more common in the UK but not in the US, a plus in my book.

I don’t remember the [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] character but I will have to go back and look now. We had also talked about [name]Cedric[/name] and I know that is a HP character.