Thoughts on America?

Okay, I’m incredibly curious about this! I go through spurts where I’m in LOVE with the name [name_u]America[/name_u], and spurts where I hate it. What are your thoughts? Better as a first or middle? Is it even useable? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] and/or [name_u]Justice[/name_u] more than it? Are there other [name_u]America[/name_u]-inspired names that you like more?

I’m just really curious what everyone thinks, and would love to have conversations about it and any other names having to do with it!

I always think of [name_u]America[/name_u] as the two continents, so it seems off in this context.

Liberty and [name_u]Justice[/name_u] are both great names that embody admirable concepts. I knew a [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] who alternated between it and [name_f]Libby[/name_f].

Other ideas:
Emancipation (nn [name_f]Emmy[/name_f])
[name_f]Columbia[/name_f] (original American icon before [name_f]Lady[/name_f] [name_f]Liberty[/name_f])
[name_f]Martha[/name_f] (first first lady of the US)
[name_f]Virginia[/name_f] (said to be the first European girl born in the Americas and one of the original colonies)
[name_u]Democracy[/name_u] (nn [name_f]Demi[/name_f])
Independence

1 Like

I had a friend at school when I was a kid named [name_f]Liberty[/name_f], but she went almost exclusively by “[name_f]Libby[/name_f]”.

As for [name_u]America[/name_u], I’m not sure if it’s wearable or not. It makes me think of [name_u]America[/name_u] Ferrera, so I suppose it could work irl. I probably wouldn’t go for it myself, but, if you like it, I don’t really see why not. After all, there are plenty of other place names people love, like [name_u]London[/name_u] and [name_f]India[/name_f] and [name_f]Asia[/name_f].

I do think [name_u]America[/name_u] is quite sweet! :slight_smile: I love [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] myself!

I’m not a fan of [name_u]America[/name_u] in terms of sounds, but I also don’t think it necessarily has a great connotation either? [name_m]Don[/name_m]’t get me wrong, I am an American, and there are things about [name_u]America[/name_u] that are great. I’m also a massive fan of place names, so I guess this isn’t any different. I guess it’s just that Americans sometimes have the stereotype of being rude, ethnocentric, and cocky? And since [name_u]America[/name_u] isn’t a commonly used name, it‘s more difficult to separate the name from the place, if that makes sense. It just seems over the top. I do like [name_u]America[/name_u] Ferrera though.

Liberty and [name_u]Justice[/name_u] feel more versatile imo. I’m not really a fan of those either but I tend to not like virtue names just as a principle (not because of them being a virtue name, I just don’t really like any of the names individually in terms of sound).

6 Likes

I think I like it better as a middle name. I used to like it more than I do now - probably because we’re not doing too hot right now as a country. :\ But as a middle, I think it can be strong and quirky if paired with the right first name. [name_u]Ellis[/name_u] is another [name_u]America[/name_u]-inspired name that I like ([name_u]Ellis[/name_u] Island).

Some combos:
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f] [name_u]America[/name_u]
[name_f]Kate[/name_f] [name_u]America[/name_u]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f] [name_u]America[/name_u]
[name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]America[/name_u]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_u]America[/name_u]
[name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_u]America[/name_u] - I think this is my favorite

4 Likes

For me, [name_u]America[/name_u] is one of those no-way names. It would be cute if there weren’t two continents and a country called [name_u]America[/name_u].

I think it is very patriotic and I like it- though I do not think I would name my own child [name_u]America[/name_u] right now. [name_m]Merrick[/name_m] is adorable for a boy and [name_f]Merry[/name_f] is perfect for a girl. I think it is very cute and I do think it is usable in it’s own little way. I would not name my child [name_u]America[/name_u], though.

I like [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] the best out of all three of the girls names. I don’t think though [name_u]America[/name_u] and [name_u]Justice[/name_u] are bad I wouldn’t care if someone was named that that I met. Although I would trust a doctor or lawyer with the name [name_u]America[/name_u] the most out of all three.

I agree with what @SparkleNinja18 said. It has too many overwhelming political connections for me to see it as a name. I just think of a lot of rather controversial topics when I think of [name_u]America[/name_u] (which is so sad! I am also American btw, but there’s just a lot going on on the political side of our nation’s identity right now, both good and bad.)

2 Likes

I met a little girl name [name_u]America[/name_u] who was friends with a girl name [name_u]Winter[/name_u]. So I think it’s wearable.

I think [name_u]America[/name_u] has beautiful sounds and tone. It creates good imagery for me, so I’d say it’s usable. Plus the nickname [name_f]Merry[/name_f] is quite great!
[name_f]Liberty[/name_f] has a great meaning and sound. I’m not a fan of [name_f]Libby[/name_f] or Libs though, and that shortening may be inevitable.
[name_u]Justice[/name_u] is a strong and powerful name and concept.

1 Like

I’d say [name_u]America[/name_u] is usable, especially if you use a nickname like [name_f]Amy[/name_f]. I think it would be kind of odd to use if you lived in the US though. I know that there is [name_u]North[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u] and [name_u]South[/name_u] [name_u]America[/name_u] but I feel like when you just say [name_u]America[/name_u] everyone thinks of the US.

I would use [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] or [name_u]Justice[/name_u] before I use [name_u]America[/name_u] just bc [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] and [name_u]Justice[/name_u] are more subtly patriotic. [name_f]Libby[/name_f] is super cute nn for [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] and [name_u]Jess[/name_u] or [name_u]Joss[/name_u] would be a cute nn for [name_u]Justice[/name_u].

Hi! [name_f]My[/name_f] name is [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] - I used to hate it, but now I love it so much. I’m a British teenager and the name is totally wearable as just a name, but I do get patriotic compliments from Americans.

Although most girls named [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] I have met or heard of go by [name_f]Libby[/name_f], I never have and instead get called [name_f]Lib[/name_f] by friends or family and increasingly go by [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] alone. I’ve also heard of other [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] s that go by [name_f]Tilly[/name_f], [name_u]Bertie[/name_u] or [name_f]Birdie[/name_f].

1 Like

I like [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] a lot more. [name_u]America[/name_u] is a bit much for me

I’d prefer [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] much more, nickname [name_f]Libby[/name_f].

I adore [name_u]America[/name_u]. It’s a pretty common name in Mexico, common enough for no one to question it or make any comments. It’s really just a regular name for us.

That being said, compared to comments above. Mexicans count [name_u]America[/name_u] as one continent (literally get taught this in school) and we definitely don’t think of [name_u]America[/name_u] as the country. I think the circumstances might be a little bit different if you are based in the US though.

Argentina, [name_f]Grecia[/name_f] (Greece), Francia ([name_f]France[/name_f]) and [name_f]Italia[/name_f] ([name_f]Italy[/name_f]) are also normal name places here.

1 Like

In the UK, [name_u]America[/name_u] would be a pretty strange name to have. But I understand it’s a pretty common name in Latin [name_u]America[/name_u]. So I guess it depends on your location and perhaps ethnic group.

I really like [name_f]Liberty[/name_f], and [name_u]Justice[/name_u] is fine.

There’s a male game developer called American McGee (yes, it’s his birth name), and it seems to work well for him, so I don’t see why [name_u]America[/name_u] can’t work on a girl. Although as far as girls names go I like [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] better than [name_u]America[/name_u], but I like [name_u]America[/name_u] more than [name_u]Justice[/name_u].

I think it could work, though I like [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] a lot more. I’ve only heard [name_u]Justice[/name_u] used on boys so I can’t picture it on a girl.