Thoughts on Amy?

So I was born in the late 80s when every second girl was called [name_f]Amy[/name_f]. But it just suddenly occurred to me how little it has been used in the last 10 years?

It still sounds fresh to my ears with the vowel sounds and soft “m” like the ever popular [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_f]Emme[/name_f], [name_f]Emi[/name_f] etc. and of course [name_f]Amaya[/name_f] is shooting up the charts along with [name_f]Maya[/name_f] and even [name_f]Aya[/name_f].

Our top girl name is [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] so we are obviously on that wave. But I suddenly found [name_f]Amy[/name_f] floating in my mind and I wondered how it might be received in this day and age?

Why the decrease in popularity do you think? Is it just too nineties now?

Amy is very cute! Personally I prefer the Aimée variation, or the more feminine in ending [name_f]Amie[/name_f], but the classic [name_f]Amy[/name_f] is cute, simple, and stylish! I don’t think you could go wrong with it.
[name_f]Emilia[/name_f] is one of my top girl names too! I prefer it over the [name_f]Amy[/name_f] family, but you couldn’t go wrong with either choice!

I love [name_f]Amy[/name_f]! It was on my list for so long! I’ve been thinking of adding her back in! So sweet, feminine and simple! The only reason it left my list is bc my best friend’s mom is named [name_f]Amy[/name_f].

1 Like

I like [name_f]Amy[/name_f] short for [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]. Since you like [name_f]Emilia[/name_f], I wonder if you’d like [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] instead?

Amy is really cute and fits in great with lots of current favorites, as you pointed out. It does sound a little dated to me; I would expect an [name_f]Amy[/name_f] to be maybe in her forties. But it’s the kind of name that I can picture wearing well on a little girl in 2020. I would be surprised to hear it, but pleasantly so. And I like that even though it’s ubiquitously familiar, a girl born today with the name wouldn’t likely share it with other kids her age. I think [name_f]Amy[/name_f]’s decrease in popularity wasn’t due to anything intrinsic about the name itself, so much as just the natural rise and fall of names that become popular quickly. And it never fell as far as some trendy names from a similar era–it’s still in the U.S. top 250. I think it’s very usable now by itself, but I also love Elizabeth_Rose1’s idea of [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Amy[/name_f]!

Love these thoughts! [name_f]Glad[/name_f] to hear no one finds it overly dated. I do know a number of [name_f]Amy[/name_f]/Aimee’s in my life because of my age so I’m not sure I could actually use it but I agree that she probably wouldn’t come across many/any others in her cohort despite it being such an acceptable name.

I’m not sure why I’ve never been a fan of [name_f]Amelia[/name_f]! I think because it has been number 1 for so long and I similarly grew up with a lot of Amelias. [name_f]Emilia[/name_f] on the other hand seems fresher and more modern to me and I love the literary connections, even though it’s rising up the charts pretty fast!

1 Like

The new [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women movie gave me a soft spot for the character [name_f]Amy[/name_f], which has lead to a soft spot for the name (although I already had a bit of one thanks to a childhood friend with the name). I personally find the [name_f]Aimee[/name_f] spelling a bit more fresh to me, but I genuinely do like both.

1 Like

Same! I also love [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u] Nine Nine haha (those who know, know).

I love [name_f]Amy[/name_f] too! It’s one of those names that I could see fitting in with current trends had it not been so popular a few decades ago. I also love the suggestion of [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Amy[/name_f].

I know a few little girls called [name_f]Amy[/name_f]. It works just fine on a child.

Amy is cute, but maybe you could use the name [name_f]Amity[/name_f] and call her [name_u]Ami[/name_u] for short?

I know a number of Amys who are around my age (20 somethings). I think it’s nice but it just doesn’t sound exciting to me. I think the decrease in popularity is just because it was so popular in the past, similar to [name_f]Megan[/name_f] or [name_f]Rachel[/name_f].

I adore [name_f]Amy[/name_f] and would love to see it used. It’s more timeless than dated to me.

I love [name_f]Amy[/name_f]! Simple, sweet with a kick and cheerful

1 Like

I love [name_f]Amy[/name_f], it’s one of my favourite names and it’s on my list, although I spell it [name_f]Aimee[/name_f], just because I think it looks prettier. It was used a lot during my childhood too, but seems to have gone out of style a little. I would love to see it used again. :blush:

I love the name [name_f]Amy[/name_f]! I had fetal surgery and my favourite nurse was named [name_f]Amy[/name_f]! We said that if we had a girl we would have named her [name_f]Amy[/name_f] after our nurse who was a fierce advocate but so caring and attentive. I don’t know if she truly knew the impact she made on us.

I also love [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women and the [name_u]March[/name_u] Sisters so I have a soft spot for it.

Amy I think is strong on its own but Other ways you could get [name_f]Amy[/name_f] if you are looking for a longer version
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f]
[name_f]Tammy[/name_f]
[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps!

1 Like

I love the name [name_f]Amy[/name_f] especially spelt a little different maybe [name_f]Aimee[/name_f] or [name_f]Amie[/name_f] as [name_f]Amy[/name_f] is quite a popular spelling. I don’t think its a dated name at all and think it’s very pretty!

I absolutely adore the name [name_f]Amy[/name_f]/Aimee, it’d be one of my top choices if it wasn’t used in S/O’s family already!

Amy is more classic/timeless than anything imo!

I love, love, love [name_f]Amy[/name_f]. One of my all time faves, and I’ve liked it since I was a kid. I can tie some really great people to it, now. Would love to see it on a kid now.