Thoughts on Ariadne, Eilidh, and Ferelith?

While none of the three really fit in with my other favourites, my long list is full of names that branch out of my usual style, and I am considering adding these three names to the list, but I’m a little unsure on how wearable they actually are.

[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] - I love it, and I do slightly prefer it to [name_f]Ariana[/name_f]/[name_f]Arianna[/name_f] but, is it less wearable than [name_f]Ariana[/name_f]/[name_f]Arianna[/name_f]? I’m not a fan of the [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] [name_f]Grande[/name_f] connection that I have with [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] at the moment, but in a few years time, would that wear off? Or is it more of a teenager connection (I know her more through my younger sister than I do myself)?

[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] - I absolutely adore it, and I don’t really mind the confusing spelling - my number one issue is that it’s pronounced as Ay-lee, and my name is [name_u]Haley[/name_u]. Are the two names too close for me to be able to use [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f]?

[name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] - [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] has really been growing on me lately, and I love that it connects to my family heritage, but, is it too unusual to wear?

Thank you! All feedback is appreciated on this one!

[name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] is my favourite, it’s name that’s growing on me!

[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] is my favorite. I don’t think it sounds too much like [name_f]Ariana[/name_f], and I love the meaning/ that character from Greek mythology.
I’m not a fan of the other two to be honest and I definitely would not use a name that sounds that similar to yours.

[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] is a name that moved into the Top 500 last year, and it was one of the fastest-rising names. I think some people might be choosing it because they wanted [name_f]Ariana[/name_f]/[name_f]Arianna[/name_f] but then tried to be different, like people who’ve been naming their children [name_f]Ashlyn[/name_f] instead of [name_u]Ashley[/name_u].

I think that if you like [name_f]Ariana[/name_f]/[name_f]Arianna[/name_f], [name_f]Aria[/name_f] is a cleaner name with a clearer meaning and a better association. In my mind, it’s also prettier-sounding, and a lot more sophisticated (because of its simplicity and the fact that sometimes “anna” or “ana” endings can look pedestrian).

The only problem with [name_f]Aria[/name_f] is that it sounds like [name_u]Arya[/name_u], which is a name that some Game of Thrones fans (and there are legions) are going to begin using in the coming years. I wouldn’t care, I love the name [name_f]Aria[/name_f].

I also think that [name_f]Aria[/name_f] has a more magical sound than [name_f]Ariana[/name_f], so it would fit better on your list.

[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] and [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] are both such wonderful names - and they could be twins! :slight_smile:

I think [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] would be pretty with [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] and [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f]. I don’t think the Disney movie association would spoil the name these days. I knew a little [name_u]Ariel[/name_u] who was 5 when the movie was released, and she wasn’t teased - and she even had red hair!! Most of us were sort of jealous she had a beautiful mermaid name.

[name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] is my favourite! I would have to agree with your issue of [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] sounding too close to your name, personally I would consider it unusable even though I love the name. I also feel like [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] has been popping up a lot lately which would be my only deterrent… but I do like the name!

I think I like them all! I like [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] a lot, although I prefer [name_f]Arianne[/name_f], [name_f]Ariana[/name_f], and [name_f]Ariadna[/name_f] in general. [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] is a HUGE favorite of mine (and probably a GP, because nobody in the US would ever figure it out!). [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] wasn’t really appealing to me in the past, but I sort of think I’d like to meet a little [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] or [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f]! I think it’d have to be the right combo. I like [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] more, I think, but just barely. I’m pretty picky about “F” names, in general, though.

I love [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] it’s my favourite of the three but I think it is too close to your name. i personally wouldn’t like to have a rhyming name with my mum. [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] is probably my second favourite as I love anything Scottish. I think [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] might be a bit confusing since it’s very similar to other popular names.

My favorite of your three choices is [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]…it’s completely classic & not tied to any pop star, TV show, book character, etc. You’d have the options of [name_u]Ari[/name_u] & [name_f]Aria[/name_f] as nns too.

[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] sounds very pretty (I had no idea how it was pronounced until you spelled it phonetically), & I don’t know where in the world you are, but if you’re in the US, I think the name has a very high probability of being misspelled/mispronounced for a lifetime. And w/the pronunciation rhyming w/your own name, thing can get very confusing at home. My nn rhymes w/my dad’s nn, & his dad used the same nn as my dad, so I can speak from experience here!

[name_f]Ferelith[/name_f], honestly, made me think of geology, like some sort of rock formation. I guess I’m just not familiar w/the name at all.

Incidentally, one of my favorite books as a kid was [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m] Friermood’s The [name_m]Luck[/name_m] of [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] [name_m]Tolliver[/name_m]…the mom in the book named all of her kids after mythological figures from her trusty copy of Bulfinch’s Mythology. [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] was one of the girls. :slight_smile:

My favorite of your three choices is [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]…it’s completely classic & not tied to any pop star, TV show, book character, etc. You’d have the options of [name_u]Ari[/name_u] & [name_f]Aria[/name_f] as nns too.

[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] sounds very pretty (I had no idea how it was pronounced until you spelled it phonetically), & I don’t know where in the world you are, but if you’re in the US, I think the name has a very high probability of being misspelled/mispronounced for a lifetime. And w/the pronunciation rhyming w/your own name, thing can get very confusing at home. My nn rhymes w/my dad’s nn, & his dad used the same nn as my dad, so I can speak from experience here!

[name_f]Ferelith[/name_f], honestly, made me think of geology, like some sort of rock formation. I guess I’m just not familiar w/the name at all.

Incidentally, one of my favorite books as a kid was [name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f] [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m] Friermood’s The [name_m]Luck[/name_m] of [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] [name_m]Tolliver[/name_m]…the mom in the book named all of her kids after mythological figures from her trusty copy of Bulfinch’s Mythology. [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] was one of the girls. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] - I love [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]. I think it is very wearable. I’m Greek, and so I know Ariadnes & Athenas & [name_m]Apollos[/name_m]. I can imagine that pronunciation could be an issue, but otherwise it has everything going for it. Sweet nn options, not too popular, pretty sound, pretty meaning, history, etc. My favorite nns are [name_u]Ari[/name_u], [name_f]Aria[/name_f], [name_f]Addie[/name_f], & Nini. And Ariadne is becoming a bit more familiar with people due to the character played by Ellen Paige in Inception with this name. It isn’t a big enough association to take over the name, but could add a bit of familiarity. As for [name_f]Ariana[/name_f], I feel like [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] is kind of dated. It became popular around my generation (the 1990s-2000s) shooting up out of nowhere in similar fashion to the [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] crowd and [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] crowd. I have grown tired of hearing of it. [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] has a pretty sound I suppose, but I prefer [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f], [name_f]Ariadna[/name_f], or just [name_f]Ana[/name_f]. The [name_f]Ariana[/name_f] [name_f]Grande[/name_f] connection is probably more prevalent with the teen group than anything. My teenage cousin is obsessed with her, and so the name connects right to [name_f]Grande[/name_f] in her eyes, but to most normal people the name is popular enough to not be so associated (not like [name_f]Madonna[/name_f] or [name_f]Miley[/name_f]).

[name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] -I think [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] has a pretty sound, but the spelling and pronunciation would be quite a hassle (at least in [name_u]America[/name_u], no one would get it, IDK if it is more familiar where you are). I mean yes, [name_f]Eilidh[/name_f] is very close to your name and if that bothers you I’d take it off the list. I have [name_f]Helen[/name_f] and [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] on my list, which are very similar and/or variants of my name ([name_f]Eleni[/name_f]), but that doesn’t really bother me.

[name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] - I have no idea how to pronounce this name, so I don’t see the appeal. But if it has family significance to you, I’d keep it on the middle name list. I love it when names have family connection, I think it is an awesome way to share heritage.

It seems as though [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] and [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] are favourites! I’m thinking, if I do add them to my list, the combinations with be [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] and [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f].

I vote [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] [name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] :slight_smile:
[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f] is beautiful. More interesting than [name_f]Arianna[/name_f].
[name_f]Ferelith[/name_f] is lovely and sounds great in the middle, I think it might be too unusual in most places for a first.

I honestly would think it was a little strange for a [name_u]Haley[/name_u] to name her daughter Ay-lee. And I think it would be super hard to live with in most places in the world. It might not bother you, but it might bother her to be called ill-duh every day.