Thoughts on Aster?

As the title says, I’m just interested in hearing some thoughts on [name_f]Aster[/name_f]. I recently heard it in a movie and I’ve been loving on her ever since. She’s short, sweet and simple, has floral and celestial associations (nature-related) and has a great vintage flair – what’s not to like?

What do you think of [name_f]Aster[/name_f]?

Absolutely love it! It’s been on my own list, but in the end [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] won out for its unconventional ending sound.

I think [name_f]Aster[/name_f] is a really funky, feisty sounding name and I really like that it’s a floral option which feels tailored and not too dainty or conventionally pretty.

[name_f]Aster[/name_f] flowers are beautiful too!

1 Like

I also love it. It has been on my list as an honor option for [name_f]Daisy[/name_f]. I think its similarities to names like [name_f]Esther[/name_f] make it particularly wearable. I love [name_f]Aster[/name_f] flowers and particularly think it is perfect for an [name_f]Autumn[/name_f] baby as Asters are one of the last to bloom before winter.

It is so sweet without being saccharine or flouncy. The name itself is perfectly pared-down, so it has a nice simplistic, minimalist edge. Chronically underused. It just has so much going for it.

1 Like

I like it! I like how it feels natury, wordy and surnamey all at once. It’s floral but without any frills and is just generally really cool sounding

1 Like

I also recently saw it in a movie (on Netflix, perchance?) and I really like it. It’s definitely got a cool sound, similar to other names I’d put in the “strong-willed” category like [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and [name_u]Aspen[/name_u]. I like [name_f]Astoria[/name_f] as well, if you wanted something a little longer.

2 Likes

Some more [name_f]Aster[/name_f] love!

1 Like

I really love that name. I also heard it on a movie recently, I can’t remember which, maybe it was the same one? I don’t know, but yes, to me it sounds nature-related but in a more mystical way rather than earthy. For some reason, it sounds very [name_f]English[/name_f]/British, which I also love. Beautiful and unique.

1 Like

“The Half of It” on Netflix made me fall in love with this name. It sounds sweet but strong, cool and spunky, modern and classic all at once.

2 Likes

When I was a kid our neighbor lady was [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Aster[/name_f], which I think sounds great. It makes a cool nature name.

1 Like

I really really wish I loved [name_f]Aster[/name_f], as it fits with my other names really well I think, but to me it seems like such a masculine name (like [name_u]Asher[/name_u]). I wonder if it would be a different story in a country/accent that doesn’t say the hard r sound at the end of words. As it stands, with my pronunciation of the r sound, I prefer [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] and [name_f]Astra[/name_f]!

Also, another thought – I feel like it would be misheard as “[name_f]Esther[/name_f]” very often, no? Maybe just because I haven’t heard [name_f]Aster[/name_f] in real life or in any shows/movies!

1 Like

I first heard it on [name_u]Dexter[/name_u] too! It went straight onto my list after that.

1 Like

I’m not a fan of the sound, personally. Maybe it’s my accent but it sounds a bit harsh to me.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Aster[/name_f]! Only thing I don’t like about it, is that it looks and sounds similar to [name_f]Esther[/name_f], a name I strongly dislike, without a good reason though.

2 Likes

It’s beautiful and refined sounding. I heard it first in Titanic - there’s a man with the last name [name_u]Astor[/name_u] but I just love the sound!

1 Like

I first read it as [name_u]Asher[/name_u], which is definitely something you would have to get used to. The sound isn’t appealing to me personally, but it certainly isn’t the worst!

1 Like

I looooooooooooooooove [name_f]Aster[/name_f]!!! It’s one of the few flower names that I really like, since it’s pretty rare.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Aster[/name_f]!

1 Like

I think it’s awesome in theory, but as mentioned above it sounds harsh in my accent. I think it’d be beautiful in other accents, but I wouldn’t personally use it because my family and the people around where I live have even stronger accents than I do and it wouldn’t exactly roll off the tongue around here.

1 Like

Wow, so much love for [name_f]Aster[/name_f] - great! Thank you for your great responses.

In my (Australian) accent, it sounds more like [name_f]Asta[/name_f], so I can see how you could feel that that heavier -er ending could potentially liken in to [name_u]Asher[/name_u] and feel a little harsher and ‘masculine’. Also, I can see how [name_f]Aster[/name_f] could be mistaken for [name_f]Esther[/name_f]… These days though, I seem to notice more and more people spelling out even the simplest, most common sounding names, just because there are so many variations nowadays, so [name_f]Aster[/name_f] might just need to be one of those people (as I am with my own name; I’m used to it, it’s not a bother). I very much appreciate your mentioning it to think on, though. Thanks – @sunflowerbelle, @choupette, @may.rose, @CecilyG

Yes, ‘The Half of It’ (on Netflix) is where I recently heard it used (not just yet another stereotypical teen love story - I enjoyed it) – @floatinthesky, @StartedattheAutumn, @ashley_rose

4 Likes

I love [name_f]Aster[/name_f] so much!! I knew a little girl named [name_f]Aster[/name_f] and it fit her perfectly!! A softer option might be [name_f]Astra[/name_f] or [name_f]Astrid[/name_f], but I think [name_f]Aster[/name_f] is just so gorgeous.