Thoughts on Atticus?

[name]Atticus[/name] has been my favorite boy name for awhile now, and will likely be the name of my first born son.

Since I’m new to nameberry, I thought I’d see what the general opinion of the name is here. :slight_smile:

[name]Love[/name], love, love [name]Atticus[/name]!
It is also one of my favorite boys names and I am seriously considering using it on my son one day as well.
I love the connection to [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name] in [name]Harper[/name] [name]Lee[/name]'s “To Kill a Mockingbird”. It’s a fantastic name!

I love [name]Atticus[/name] because I immediately think of [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name]. That’s a great role model (fictional or not) for any boy to share the name of! [name]True[/name], it’s a little adventurous and I doubt I’d be brave enough to name a boy [name]Atticus[/name] myself. But if I ever met one it would delight me to my soul!

We just used it for our new son’s middle name, and of course, most people immediately associate it with [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name] – who wouldn’t, really? But one of my mother-in-law’s close friends is SOOOO disappointed its not his first name - she really loves it!

It’s a name I wish I liked… that’s my immediate thought.

I just think it’s a really big, cumbersome name for a boy, a man.

I really really wish I liked it because it’s a great character name, it’s a unique name…

I [name]LOVE[/name] it. I adore [name]Atticus[/name] probably because l adored the character [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name]. To Kill A Mockingbird is the reason I love the name [name]Harper[/name] too. And [name]Scout[/name], come to think of it… Who wouldn’t want to be named after one of the greatest characters in literature? I think that’s why everyone loves [name]Atticus[/name].

• [name]Charlie[/name]

[name]LOVE[/name] it! I would consider it myself but it sounds bad with our last name, unfortunately!

I love it.

I love the name [name]Atticus[/name] so much. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books, and aside from the literary connection, I think it’s a very handsome and distinguished name. :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Atticus[/name]

Not my cup of tea…

I don’t love it. I definitley think it’s a name that you really have to hope and pray your young son can pull off… I also think we’re going to see a serious jump up in 2009 from the 2008 spot at 689… it did go down a little in '08 from '07,down from 682… but I still think it may pop up higher… I think it’s a overly trendy literary name that sounds like the parents are trying too hard…

I agree with a pp that it is a name that I wished I liked. But, part of the problem, is that I do not immediately associate it with [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name]. The first thing I hear is “attic us,” but that is also probably a fault of my pronunciation.

The other thing (and please don’t haze me!) is that I am not really a fan of TKAMB. I’ve been down this road before and I know I am in the minority, but there is something about the writing (not so much the story) that really really bugs me. It is sad to say because I am an avid (probably addicted) reader, but I just can’t convince myself to like it. On a bright note, [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name] is probably the one part that I do really like!

Absolutey spectacular! I love TKAM, so this name is just so perfect. [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Finch[/name] would be a glorious namesake for your little boy. TKAM aside, it’s very handsome and strong!
Good luck! =)

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books! So, I just love the name [name]Atticus[/name]. I used to work with a man who named his son [name]Atticus[/name]; little [name]Atticus[/name] went by the nickname [name]Gus[/name], which is adorable, I think.

I have just bought the book so cant wait to read it. Is it just me or does anyone else just think attic? i dont know, mayb its just me:)

That’s the main thing that worries me. Why do so many of the names I love wind up becoming trendy, years later?

From 2000-2004, my second favorite boy name was [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Atticus[/name]. In 2004, I decided I liked [name]Atticus[/name] enough to be a first name. (First fave has been [name]Zephyr[/name] since the late 90s. Still my #1 name, but my dh hates it)

I used to like [name]Cade[/name] alot, but the same thing happened there. As long as [name]Atticus[/name] doesn’t reach [name]Aidan[/name]/[name]Caden[/name]/[name]Hayden[/name]/[name]Jaden[/name]/[name]Brayden[/name] popularity, I can deal with it. It just irks me to wonder if people will think I picked the name just because it’s trendy. The literary namesake is a nice bonus because it makes the name less “weird”, but truthfully, I just love how it sounds. :slight_smile: