Thoughts on Biblical baby name

My first child’s name was easy for us. Since my husband already had a son named [name]Michael[/name], it was easy to pick [name]Gabriel[/name] as our little angel.
But I’ve never been a big fan of most of the girl Biblical baby names. We don’t know what we are having yet, but we’ve been talking.
I’ve always thought I would have a [name]Maggie[/name], in honor of my great-grandmother, but my husband hates [name]Maggie[/name]. He liked my suggestion of [name]Magdalyn[/name] (spelling changed to honor my mom [name]Lynn[/name]). But he won’t call her [name]Maggie[/name], maybe [name]Magda[/name]. I think I like that. Is it too weird?
I have found many call my boy [name]Gabe[/name], a nickname I hate, so I know we can’t really control the nickname thing entirely.

I think [name]Magdalene[/name] is fantastic, but [name]Magdalyn[/name] looks bizarre to me. I think you can still honor [name]Lynn[/name] because it’s pronounced the same way. It sounds really good with [name]Gabriel[/name] and [name]Michael[/name], in my opinion. You might also consider [name]Margaret[/name] with the middle name [name]Lynn[/name]. Some other biblical names:
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Tamar[/name]
[name]Eve[/name] ([name]Eva[/name])
[name]Susannah[/name]
Shoshanna
[name]Sarai[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Noemi[/name]
[name]Noah[/name] (yes, it’s used for a girl in the bible)
[name]Miriam[/name]

I also really like [name]Selah[/name]. It means peace and is referring to songs in Psalms. Like it?

I like [name]Magdalyn[/name] and I think it goes with [name]Gabriel[/name].

Other nice Biblical girl names:
[name]Dinah[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Deborah[/name]
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Joy[/name]

A prefer the traditional spelling [name]Magdalene[/name]. I think it is a lovely name.

I once knew a girl name [name]Rahel[/name] (pronounced [name]Ray[/name]-elle) as a feminisation of [name]Raphael[/name]. I’m not sure I love it but it would finish the set nicely :slight_smile:

I also like some of the feminisations of male names in the bible such as [name]Philippa[/name] and [name]Matthea[/name].

What about [name]Angela[/name], [name]Angelica[/name] or similar?

I like [name]Magdalyn[/name] nn [name]Magda[/name] or [name]Maggie[/name]. Goes well with the siblings name. Definitely not to “out there”. I’m big on honoring family in names so I like the connection to great-grandma.

[name]Magdalyn[/name] is okay, but I have to agree with the others–I’m not a huge fan. What about just [name]Magda[/name]? You could still use the nn [name]Maggie[/name] for your grandmother, and I love the redemptive reference to [name]Mary[/name] [name]Magdalene[/name]. I love a lot of the other Biblical suggestions–[name]Hannah[/name], [name]Eve[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Mary[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Shoshana[/name], etc. What about:

[name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Adah[/name]
[name]Chloe[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Eden[/name] (more related to the Garden of [name]Eden[/name] than an actual character, but I do think it’s pretty)
[name]Esther[/name]
[name]Olive[/name] (not an actual Bible name but it has lots of great Biblical imagery…)
[name]Rebecca[/name]
[name]Sapphira[/name] (not the best Biblical hero, but the name is pretty and I think the nns Saffy or [name]Sara[/name] are very sweet)
[name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Zipporah[/name] (I think the nn Zippy is too cute! I don’t exactly remember who [name]Zipporah[/name] was, but I think it’s a very nice and unexpected name)

Have you looked into variants of Biblical names, too? [name]Elizabeth[/name] has some lovely variants–[name]Lillian[/name], [name]Isabelle[/name]/a, [name]Elise[/name], [name]Lisette[/name], [name]Eliska[/name], etc.–as does [name]Anna[/name] ([name]Annabel[/name], [name]Anneliese[/name], [name]Annika[/name], [name]Hannah[/name], [name]Anastasia[/name], etc.), and even [name]Julia[/name] ([name]Juliana[/name], [name]Juliet[/name], etc.).

I don’t think you really have to stick with Biblical names, though–[name]Michael[/name] and [name]Gabriel[/name] are Biblical, but also well-known, well-loved classic names. I think you could really go in any direction for their sister!

Good luck!

I really like the suggestion of [name]Rahel[/name] for a female version of [name]Raphael[/name].

[name]Chloe[/name] is in the bible :slight_smile: My name is [name]Chloe[/name], and although I’m not religious my parents told me it was in the bible. I know it is getting very popular now, it’s definitely not in my age group though. I only know 2 others, and they are just people I know of, not friends. I get a lot of compliments on it,

[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Sara[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Rachel[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]

[name]Raphaela[/name] is nice. So is [name]Seraphina[/name].

Other Biblical names I like:

[name]Sarai[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Yael[/name]
[name]Esther[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Keziah[/name]
[name]Dinah[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Abigail[/name]
[name]Miriam[/name]