Thoughts on Casper/Caspar???

Been really struggling with finding names that I strongly favor for boy #2. He will be brother to [name_m]Felix[/name_m] [name_m]Jeffrey[/name_m] Kar… I have heard several recommendations for [name_m]Jasper[/name_m], but I don’t know how I feel about it. It sounds a little country to me, but it does sound okay with [name_m]Felix[/name_m]. I much prefer the nn [name_m]Cas[/name_m] over [name_m]Jas[/name_m] or [name_u]Jaz[/name_u]. I was mulling over [name_m]Casper[/name_m] and it is starting to grow on me. My concern is whether this is a usable name for a boy nowadays? [name_m]Will[/name_m] the [name_m]Casper[/name_m] the friendly ghost association be too much? We already get the, “oh like [name_m]Felix[/name_m] the cat?” comment from pretty much everyone over 40 when we mention our son’s name, but it hasn’t bothered me. I wonder if [name_m]Casper[/name_m] would be worse and if it could devolve to teasing in school. Also, [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] has been shooting up the charts, but not so much for [name_m]Casper[/name_m]. To me they are pretty similar. Thoughts to why [name_m]Casper[/name_m] has not followed this trend? Finally, would [name_m]Casper[/name_m] Kar… be too much and which spelling -er or -ar? Thanks again

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_m]Caspar[/name_m]/[name_m]Casper[/name_m], as you can see from my sig :slight_smile:

[name_m]Caspar[/name_m] is my preferred spelling, and it’s one of my top 2 contenders for #2 if it’s a boy. Actually, [name_m]Felix[/name_m] would be the third member of the top 3 (alongside [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] and [name_u]Rex[/name_u]), if a family member hadn’t used it for his son last year - dammit!

The fact that [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] is less popular than [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] doesn’t bother me at all - in fact, I like that it’s still relatively unusual. I think it’s the ghost thing that has put people off, but in my view it really is a non-issue nowadays. I’m 23 and I only know about [name_m]Casper[/name_m] the Ghost from reading comments on forums like these. Anyone younger than that (i.e. your son’s age) will almost certainly never have heard of the ghost. And even if they have, so what? He is a friendly ghost - it’s not such a bad association. No worse than [name_m]Felix[/name_m] the [name_f]Cat[/name_f] (who I’ve also not heard of, btw).

And I think it would be fine with your surname: -er and -ar have different sounds so it’s not too rhymey - it’s just whether you’re OK with the alliteration of C- and K-. I think it’s perfectly fine.

Honestly, I think the majority of the population is going to automatically think of the ghost. I’m not a fan for that reason. I much prefer [name_m]Jasper[/name_m].

Spelling it [name_m]Caspar[/name_m] would separate it from the ghost, but I don’t think it’s a bad association anyway. I don’t think our children’s generation will even have heard of ‘[name_m]Casper[/name_m] the Ghost’. My 9 year old sister had no idea what I was talking about when I told her the name, so that’s encouraging! I do think that the association has put quite a lot of people off of using it, hence it remaining relatively unpopular.

I have [name_m]Casper[/name_m] as one of the possible names picked out should I have a boy; I just love that it’s a softer, charming sort of male name. I did read one comment on the nameberry forums while searching for opinions that basically said ‘would you not choose the name [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] because of [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] the tank engine?’ Which I thought was a really good point. Lots of names have an association but I think it does depend heavily on what that association is.

That is a very good point about [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] the tank engine. That name is solidly in the top 50 while almost every boy under 5 is obsessed with the show still. Other strong associations like Twilight names have been skyrocketing and I would consider that a worse association (I actually avoid those names myself). I am not sure why some pop culture associations are okay while others are looked at as strange. I personally do not see the ghost as a bad association. I was wondering if there was something else about the name that put people off. Thanks for your input.

My thoughts also. Honestly I always think of the ghost when I see or hear the name. BUT, the ghost is sweet, so I do not know if that is a negative.