Thoughts on Catriona?

Hello,

I’m wondering what your opinions are on [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] (pronounced Ka-tree-na). I think the C spelling is just so pretty but I know the name will be pronounced wrong all the time. [name_f]My[/name_f] baby girl is due in [name_u]December[/name_u] and I’m trying to keep
[name_f]My[/name_f] options open on names as I don’t want to settle on one just yet. [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite names are always changing and it’s driving my husband crazy! Her middle name will be [name_u]Louise[/name_u] and she will be little sister to brother, [name_u]Tristan[/name_u] [name_m]Steven[/name_m]. TIA!

Also, I am open to other suggestions! :slight_smile:

Although it’s pretty, in the US it would probably be mispronounced quite a bit; [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] and [name_f]Catrina[/name_f] might be easier options. However, if this is the name you love, it’s usable!

I’ve always liked this name- I think the spelling is so pretty! [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is lovely. I do worry about it being mispronounced (especially if you’re in the US), but I think it’s a pretty simple correction (“Oh, it’s a Gaelic name, it’s pronounced just like [name_f]Katrina[/name_f]”). I would go for [name_f]Catriona[/name_f], but if you want other options…

Caterina
[name_f]Carina[/name_f]
[name_f]Catalina[/name_f]
[name_f]Marina[/name_f]

1 Like

I know that it’s pronounced [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] but I think [name_f]Kat[/name_f]-ree-o-na is prettier! Oh, well.

I would suggest:
[name_f]Kathleen[/name_f]
[name_f]Catlin[/name_f]
[name_f]Carina[/name_f]
[name_f]Alys[/name_f]
[name_f]Brigid[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Keira[/name_f]

1 Like

I love it! One of my favorite [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] variants. [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is darling!

I definitely agree with this:

Despite potential mispronunciation, [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] is still the spelling I’d go for. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Catriona [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is lovely, but I agree, there will be a lot of mispronunciations. I think the spelling [name_f]Catrina[/name_f] will be easier.

Catriona is lovely

In the U.S it’ll probably always get mispronounced I think the simple [name_f]Catrina[/name_f] or even [name_f]Carina[/name_f] would work out better! Names like [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] however are;

• Hilda
  • Cambra
  • Valentina
  • Catalina
  • Lena
  • Helga
  • Kit
  • Patina
  • Penelope
  • Eliza
  • Tricia
  • Beatrix
  • Saorise ([name_m]Sir[/name_m]-Sha)

Although I know it’s supposed to be pronounced [name_f]Catrina[/name_f] in my mind I pronounce it how it’s written…maybe it’s just my problem…I definitely prefer [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_f]Caterina[/name_f], [name_f]Catharina[/name_f].

1 Like

I think it’s delightful, and I definitely like this spelling!

I really do love it! However, in the US, [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] has the negative association with the hurricane, so I’d keep that in mind.

Hi there.

Catriona is lovely. Although I prefer it & would say it if I didn’t know as Kah-tree-ah-nuh. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you like that? I think it may get mispronounced & misspelled either way if you’re in the U.S. But sometimes I find it worth it to have such a beautiful, unique & authentic name. Also, [name_f]Catriona[/name_f] is perfect w/the handsome [name_u]Tristan[/name_u].

Not knowing your style that well, here are a few names that I think would be nice w/Tristan:

Aurelia

Calliope

Clover

Daphne

Dahlia

Elowen

Eowyn

Esme

Estella

Fiona

Finnuala

Finola

Guinevere

Gwendolen

Indigo

Juniper

Junia

Juno

Juliet

Lyra

Morwenna

Soleil

Sparrow

Violet

Vida

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Catriona [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is gorgeous!

Interesting I was going to say I love it then saw how you plan to pronounce it, all the Catrionas I’ve known have pronounced it cat-ree-oh-na (and have been Scottish) so I would find your pronunciation really confusing if you want it pronounced cat-ree-na you could opt for [name_f]Catrina[/name_f], [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] or even [name_f]Katerina[/name_f]

I will say [name_f]Catriona[/name_f]/Catrina [name_u]Louise[/name_u] is beautiful