Thoughts on “Dorothée”

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], everyone. I’ve posted here before ! (TL;DR - I’m 25 weeks pregnant with my first child, I’m [name_u]French[/name_u] and my husband is American, we want to name our children [name_u]French[/name_u] names, and we live 6 months in [name_u]Paris[/name_u] and 6 months in [name_u]California[/name_u] so our daughter will grow up in both countries)

Since [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] / [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f] are having a resurgence, I was thinking of [name_f]Dorothée[/name_f]. (Really just thinking ; our list has been narrowed down between Lucille/Lucienne, Gisèle, [name_f]Juliette[/name_f], [name_f]Sidonie[/name_f], & [name_f]Séraphine[/name_f] and DH might lose it if I add another name I love lol)

Anyways, [name_f]Dorothée[/name_f] the [name_u]French[/name_u] variant of the name [name_f]Dorothea[/name_f]. (If there are any [name_u]French[/name_u] users here, they might remember there was a children’s singer named [name_f]Dorothée[/name_f] that [name_f]Gen[/name_f] X grew up with in the 70s/80s ! )

[name_f]Dorothée[/name_f] is pronounced “ doh-roe-TEY “ in [name_u]French[/name_u]. I was thinking [name_f]Dorothée[/name_f] with a nickname like [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] would be very cute.

Was wondering if this could be a [name_m]Timothée[/name_m] Chalamet type situation where DD is [name_f]Dorothée[/name_f] and known by the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation in [name_f]France[/name_f] but uses the “ [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] “ pronunciation while in the US. (Like how [name_m]Timothée[/name_m] goes by the “ [name_u]Timothy[/name_u] “ pronunciation in the US but by the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation in Francophone countries.) [name_f]Dorothée[/name_f] could also be known by her nickname in [name_u]America[/name_u]. Once again, only thinking, I’ve just always loved this name and all of its variants !

I wonder what [name_f]English[/name_f] speakers think of this.

So what do you think about [name_f]Dorothée[/name_f] ? :blush::heart::kiss:

1 Like

Congrats!

I think [name_f]Dorothée[/name_f] is lovely (as is your entire short listed really), and if you don’t mind either pronunciation (the inevitable [name_f]English[/name_f] one and the French), then of course it could work, and work well for you and your family. [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] makes for a sweet little nickname.

1 Like

Dorothée is very pretty and sweet! Dodie is cute, and I also love Dora, Dory, Dottie, Dot – so many great nicknames with this one.

I was going to mention Timothée Chalamet and how English-speakers seem to manage fine with his name (albeit in an Anglicized pronunciation). If you don’t mind that then I don’t foresee any issues at all.

And if you would prefer the “do-ro-TEY” pronunciation in both the US and France, I actually don’t think there would be too many problems with that either. The spelling might trip some people up who are unfamiliar with French, but the sound is actually super accessible for non French speakers.

Good luck! You have some lovely options. I’m especially excited to see Sidonie on your list!

1 Like

I think this is perfect! The [name_m]Timothée[/name_m] Chalet connection will help Americans immensely, I am sure. Both pronunciations are beautiful, and I love that with this name she could have two pronunciations as a part of her two cultures and nationalities! xx absolument merveilleuse

1 Like

[name_f]Dorothee[/name_f] is gorgeous!! I think her using two different pn would stop her having to correct people but she could still choose to if she decided she particularly liked one pn over the other! [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] is so cute!

1 Like

I think you could use both pronunciations and it’s probably going to sound better than an [name_f]English[/name_f] attempt at the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation anyway.
As for the name, I’m not a big fan, I don’t mind [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] but have always found her sister names to be very frumpy still and unfortunately, the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation makes me like it less.
Take my opinion with a grain of salt though as I’m not a US native.

I love both pronunciations! And I do think you could make [name_f]Dorothée[/name_f] with the [name_u]French[/name_u] pronunciation work in [name_f]English[/name_f] pretty easily, if you wanted to. So glad [name_f]Dorothy[/name_f] is coming back!

1 Like

i absolutely adore it. especially since we already have timothee chalamet making his name work like that! gorgeous! :tulip:

1 Like

I know how to pronounce it actually and I think that many people in Europe like me would do, and if you live in France it would be perfect! And to be honest you would not have much problems in US or UK being Chalamet very popular, and there are really much more difficult names to pronounce for Americans I think.

The first nickname I thought is actually Dori, Dorrie, and Dorrit.
But I think that Dolly, Dollie, Dottie, Dot, Dodie and Thea are fantastic nicknames too!

I am an Italian speaker and live in Italy so I am not an English speaker and to be honest do not really know how Americans would pronounce this. But there people will not have problems. Actually here (and I think in other countries of Europe) people have more problems pronounce Elizabeth, hah.

Well, I think that your list is wonderful! Love all the names. But I would give some suggestions. I think you could use Dorothy or Dorothea in France, anyways! There is Théa on the top 100 in France, people won’t have problems and will think it is very cool and fashionable. Or just name her Théa! It is easy in both US and France, and Théa is a French name too.

I would recommend Lucile or Lucie , Lucretia, Lucrezia or even Laetitia and Letice instead of Lucille and Lucienne as I said in the previous post. I know people in France, and in France, Lucille and Lucienne are considered old and dated names. While Lucie, Lucretia exc. are on the top list in France or some are not, but still considered beautiful.

Gisèle is wonderful! I would absolutely go that for a first or a middle.

Sidonie is beautiful, but I feel like it will be unfamiliar for US people, but it should be easy to pronounce for them.

Name suggestions:

(I know it is old fashioned in France and that people in US never appreciate it for the meaning of virgin, but I do not think it is bad. In Italy, it is in the TOP 50 and myself think it is elegant, classic, vintage and reminds me of Virginia Woolf.)
Virginie Lucile Ève or Virginia Laetitia Ève / Virginia Letizia Ève
(French Top 100, Apollonia in Italian, gender neutral, and mythological.)
Apolline Juliette Ève or Apolline Manon Ève
Lavinia Eisele Ève
Sidonie Calais Ève
Dorothée Eugenie Ève
Dorothea Joséphine Ève
Dorothy Valentine Ève
Gisèle Anaïs Ève
Lucile Thaïs Ève
Lucretia Camille Ève
Lucrezia Jeanne Ève
Letice Isabelle Ève
Léonie Margot Ève
Seraphine Adèle Ève
Delphine Léna Ève

What I would use from your list:
Dorothée, Dorothea, Dorothy, Seraphine, Sidonie, Juliette

2 Likes

I absolutely love it!

1 Like

I think that [name_f]Dorothée[/name_f] is lovely and nn [name_f]Dodie[/name_f] is perfection :kissing_heart: