Thoughts on double barrel names?

Curious general thoughts on double barrel names?

I have never contemplated this before and most prefer the standard order of names being: first name/middle name/last name. I do this order for all my names, so it seems odd to me that I have considered this. It does bother my OCD quite a lot that I have a top 6 list for both boys and girls and to have only one combination with a double barrel name that I was considering.

Anyways, I would love your thoughts on the name in both ways.

• [name_f]Maia[/name_f] [name_u]Rose[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Maia[/name_f] Lily-Rose
Meaning

Both middles have meaning. [name_u]Rose[/name_u] is most meaningful as it is after the name of a place that holds great significance and peace for me. [name_f]Lily[/name_f] is a meaningful family name. I am currently only considering having 3 children total and in order to honour in middle names all that I may desire; that would be the reason for the only double barrel name. But, I am willing to drop [name_f]Lily[/name_f] though considering it bothers my OCD that it stands out having “two” middle names.

Thanks and sorry for my rambling!

I quite like double-barrel names when they roll easily off the tongue (which Lily-Rose does)

[name_f]Maia[/name_f] Lily-Rose sounds pleasant to me - I like how it flows and feels. Still, if it keeps bothering you, I’m not sure it’s worth it?

Might sound weird, but could you try something like having your names written out somewhere you have to look at quite often, to see if you can adjust or get used to the double barrel?

[name_u]Or[/name_u] even consider something like [name_f]Maia[/name_f] LilyRose, [name_f]Maia[/name_f] [name_f]Lilyrose[/name_f], [name_f]Maia[/name_f] Roselily, [name_f]Maia[/name_f] RoseLily so it’s technically one name?

3 Likes

Where I am double barrel first names are very common place. I know tons and tons of kids with double barrel first names including two girls named Lily-Rose. They feel very unsurprising and normal to me. They aren’t my favourite I just find the second name off the double barrel a little redundant. It’s normally a tag on name that you find stereotypically in the middle name slot. But some pairings appeal to me! I think with this combination [name_f]Maia[/name_f] Lily-Rose works just fine and I would embrace having Lily-Rose as the middle name is just fine and it’s a pairing that’s popular.

1 Like

First off you have called my name :joy: I love double barreled names

Funnily enough I actually prefer the flow of [name_f]Maia[/name_f] [name_u]Rose[/name_u]

I tend to like double barrels in the first spot more than the middle

Like Maia-Lily [name_u]Rose[/name_u]

But I think both a pretty

Might flow better if the syllables there a little varied

Like [name_f]Maia[/name_f] Liliana-Rose

Anyway in always a proponent for more unique double barrels !

But also if the double barrel bothers you then maybe that format isn’t for you

[name_f]Maia[/name_f] [name_f]Lilyrose[/name_f] might be better kinda smoosh like [name_f]Tigerlily[/name_f] vibes

1 Like

I find them to be a bit much but maybe that’s because of my encounters with the American [name_u]South[/name_u] where there are some…unique ones…and it’s a huge social faux pas to only use one of the names on accident…

1 Like

I have a hyphenated first name. In my experience (and this won’t be everyone’s experience, obviously) it’s more trouble than it’s worth. I only use the first name now, because it’s just easier - and also because the combination of the first and second names makes people tend to mispronounce the first name.

It also causes a few beaurocratic headaches because not all systems accept a hyphen, so in some cases my names end up being smooshed together as one.

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and our kids all have two middle names each (no hyphens) which has so far been a lot simpler!

I thin [name_f]Maia[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_u]Rose[/name_u] would work totally fine and it wouldn’t worry me if two kids had one middle and the 3rd has 2, especially two such short names.

2 Likes

[name_f]Maia[/name_f] [name_u]Rose[/name_u] is sweet, and [name_u]Rose[/name_u] is one of my top middles.
[name_f]Maia[/name_f] Lily-Rose is nice, but I like double barrels as first names better, and Lily-Rose is a little too flowery.

I like [name_f]Maia[/name_f] [name_u]Rose[/name_u] better, and it might be better for you too.

1 Like

This is meant as no offense to anyone who has likes a double-barreled name, but I really dislike them. I am a no-frills kind of person, and double-barreled names just add complication in my opinion.

But to be fair, all my favorite names have only 3-5 letters, 1-2 syllables, so I think I just gravitate to short names in general, and double-barreled names are obviously not as short as single names.

1 Like

I adore double barrels!

IRL I know a S@r@h-Cl@ire who goes exclusively by both names. I love her names, and I love the whole idea of having two to go by!

1 Like