Thoughts on double middle names?

What are your opinions on double middle names? Personally, I only think they are only acceptable in certain situations. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you agree (what are those situations)? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you disagree, what do you think? At the end of the day though, it’s the parents decision, I just want to know what you guys think.

Oh I fully plan on using a double middle name if I have a daughter. The first being my grandmother’s first name and the second a traditional family name.

The middle name combo is [name_u]Patsy[/name_u] [name_u]Shea[/name_u]. I think it sounds pretty and it is very meaningful. So I don’t really care if other people don’t like it or find it too much. Because people rarely see or hear middle names outside of family stuff anyhow.

That’s cute! Family names are one of my exceptions, I think that’s a fine time to use them. It bothers me when people use it just because it’s a trend and not have any significance behind it, but other people might think differently.

While I like names with both single and double middles, I’m going to respectfully disagree that double middles are only acceptable in certain situations. One of the benefits of double middles is that it’s easier for me to gain the symbolism/compound meanings I tend to like. Another is that the child has a few more options in terms of what to go by, and I can choose names with different vibes and connotations. A few of my double middles have familial significance, some are because I like the meanings/symbols of each name together, and some are because I just like them. It’s not that it’s significant to me to use a double middle, it’s more that each name has some form of significance to me and I’d like it to be part of the combo. It’s also worth noting that in some cultures, multiple middles are the norm, and in others, no middles are the norm.

I see that side too. Where I’m from it’s normal to just have one middle name, but I’ve noticed people start to use two. Personally, I would only use one, but is can see the appeal of two.

I have two middle names and I hate it. In theory I like the idea of giving my kids two middle names because, well, I love names so of course I’d love to get to use more of them! But logistically, at least where I live, having two middle names doesn’t work, and I might as well only have one. My birth certificate and passport have my full name but my drivers license, credit cards, student ID, bills, etc. all have different combinations of my name but none of them have my full name on them (because it doesn’t fit). My student ID even has my second middle name cut in half, which unfortunately turns it into a less than pleasant and entirely different word. It’s a very unique name so I don’t want to write it here for privacy reasons but it’s the equivalent of my name being [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Faith[/name_f] [name_f]Analise[/name_f] [name_u]Walker[/name_u] and my ID saying “[name_f]Penelope[/name_f] [name_f]Faith[/name_f] Anal [name_u]Walker[/name_u]”. (That was a made up example, but it’s just as bad). I won’t be changing my name because after having both middle names my whole life they mean a lot to me, but I don’t think I’d saddle my kids with two names just because it doesn’t really work with most of the systems we have set up in society, in my experience (in my region anyways).

I like them. Growing up, almost everyone I knew (cousins, friends, etc) had one middle name. I thought only royalty had more than one and that double middle names were only a hassle to the wearer. However, my stance has certainly changed over the years. I now think that double middle names can be just fine. Some people do it for cultural or religious reasons. Others use to as a means of compromising with a partner. Some do it to honor family or maybe a maiden name that may get lost during marriage. For us, depending on what first names we end up using, we may use two middle names because we truthfully don’t know how many chances we’ll get to have/name children. We’ve been trying for over three years now. We may find ourselves wishing to use names we love and also an extra name to honor a relative or something.

On another note, double middles aren’t usually as cumbersome as I once thought them to be. My husband has two middles and the worst we’ve seen happen so far is that the second one gets left off of some forms or mail. However, two of his other siblings have it worse. One brother has three middle names and the other has eight or so total names, including his first name and two last names…not even his mom remembers them all! Thus I think two is a good limit- maybe three if the parent has some really good reason- but any more than that is just too much.

I’m not the biggest fan for two reasons 1.) it sounds clunky and is hard to come up with one that flows [at least for me] and 2.) it complicates initials/monograms/legal documents

There are times when a double (or even triple) middles would be totally fine with me

• [name_u]Royal[/name_u] babies | Doesn’t apply to me or most people, but c’mon.
  • If you’re going to have a tendency to double the first name | I don’t know if this would technically count as a double middle but [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] called [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] or sometimes just [name_f]Mary[/name_f] would still get a middle name whether or not she decides to go by a hyphenated first or not
  • Going by a middle name | I’m not sure why but going by a middle name when you have two middles just sounds better to me (eg [name_m]Jack[/name_m] “[name_u]Finley[/name_u]” [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] ______ vs [name_m]Jack[/name_m] “[name_u]Finley[/name_u]” _______)
  • You need to honor more than one relative (to please your family) | [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t want your in-laws to think you’re playing favorites? Have two grandmothers who will feel left out if they don’t get their name in? Go ahead.
  • When you really like a super short name | Two names that I like are [name_f]Mae[/name_f] and [name_u]Laine[/name_u]. I prefer more substantial/less common middle names and I don’t love them as first names/they feel too short so I would be fine to double them up (together or apart) [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] [name_u]Laine[/name_u] works better for me than [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f].
  • Last baby/only baby | If you are only planning/able to have one child, it’s your last child and you want to use up all your names, or it’ll be your only of the gender then I totally get it.
  • Second middle in native/cultural language | If you or your partner are hoping for a name to honor your origins but find the name too obscure/difficult to pronounce/etc. sticking it in the second middle spot is a great way to incorporate it.

Obviously it’s up to the parent and if you like it you like it but these are the times I would want to use double middles. Whenever I try to come up with doubles it feels like I’m just jumbling up a bunch of random names and the flow is never quite there. I see a lot of people on NB with really great triples and I like that, but it’s not really my thing (for now?).

I am of the general opinion that people can do what they want so long as it’s not harmful, so of course I think double middles are fine for others. For me personally, I go back and forth on whether or not I like them. Right now I’m thinking it’s too much, but that could certainly change.

In my family, middle names are allhonour names, for me, my siblings, my parents/aunts/uncles, and some of my grandparents. I’d like to continue this.
I only want two kids, but would like to pass down more than one name. As such, I’d like my child to have two middle names, one as an honour from my side of the family, and one from the father’s.
I think two middle names can sound great, but it can also get too long. I’d like to stick to 3 syllables in the two middle names, at most 4.

I wanted to give my kids double middles, but spouse was against me. Many times I would call them by their full name with the doubles I had for them. They not only hated it, but was certainly glad it wasn’t legal. They told me that it would have been a nightmare with all the standardize testing forms.etc…

I’d love to use two middles but my partner is totally against it as we’ll already be passing on a double-barreled surname and thinks it will be too much. She actually doesn’t even have a middle name, so we’ve compromised at one, but I’ll most likely have ‘unofficial’ second middles for them that I’ll use when needed :slight_smile:

I don’t always love two middle names. If we had a daughter right this second I would give her two middle names, but the first names I like most right now are short and punchy, so two middle names doesn’t feel unbalanced to me. I love my combos, [name_u]Georgie[/name_u] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] and [name_f]Poppy[/name_f] [name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_f]Laurel[/name_f] (my mom and my fiance’s mom’s names in the middle spots), but I don’t love it when longer names have a double middle. If we ended up with a longer favorite in the first name spot I would probably just pick one.

Some people love the long extravagant look and that’s fine, but I just don’t personally.

Personally I think I’d rather use one middle name, as two seems ‘the norm’ at the moment and is becoming quite trendy. I do understand if people are using family names though, especially if they don’t plan on having anymore kids.