Thoughts on Drucilla and Beatrix

These 2 names have, unexpectedly, arose to the top of my list!

Drucilla (with nn [name_u]Dru[/name_u]) is awesome because it means “strong.” I need a strong (literally, in this case) meaning behind whatever name I end up with! I know of the association with the vampire in Buffy. I don’t have an issue with this.

I’ve also been told, by more than one person, that it reminds them of the villain in 101 Dalmatians, Cruella. Does anyone else have that as their first thought?

Beatrix (with nn [name_f]Bee[/name_f], [name_f]Trix[/name_f], or [name_f]Trixie[/name_f]) has a softer meaning, “she who brings happiness; blessed.” That’s nice, but I greatly prefer “strong” (that’s just my style) :rofl:

I’ve noticed that some people associate this with the name [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f], from Harry [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. This only bothers me if people are misreading [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] for [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f]… If that makes sense? Like, if you read it as [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], but your first thought is how it reminds you of [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f], then I don’t have an issue with it. Does the spelling [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] eliminate that issue? I just really like the spelling of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] tho…

I’ve also been informed of the character, by this name, on Lucifer (which is a show many of my friends want me to watch, but I haven’t gotten to it yet!)

1 Like

Actually my first thought was thinking of the ugly step sister in [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f]. But turns out her name was Drizella.

As for [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] my first association is of [name_m]Peter[/name_m] Rabbit. But I believe if you switch it to [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] it’s a completely different name.

5 Likes

@Alix2016 - Yesss I think someone did mention Drizella! I’m not too worried about those associations, since [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] or [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] would be (potentially) replacing [name_f]Lilith[/name_f], also a heavy villain name :rofl: But I like knowing what people are thinking anyway!

Actually [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] is a variation of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]! They have the same exact meaning. I don’t mind the Peter Rabbit association, but I don’t know too much about the book or author, so I may dig a little more into that!

I love [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f].
For [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f], the villain vibes are just too strong for me :confused:

My first thought with [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] is the vampire from [name_f]Buffy[/name_f]. I also prefer [name_f]Drusilla[/name_f]. I think it’s wonderful, strong, spunky, but with all that history to back it up! With [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] my first thought is also of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], a great association I think. [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] most likely comes from the Latin [name_f]Viatrix[/name_f], which means “voyager, traveler”, and later got the [name_f]Bea[/name_f] from beatus, as it it became a popular name amongst early Christians and they liked that association. I think voyager and traveler are some meanings you might like better than “blessed” or “happy” and you might see it as a stronger contender against [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f].

2 Likes

Drucilla does sound evil to me. I think it would be fine for a character name, but I wouldn’t want to name a daughter that.

I do prefer the [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] spelling like you. It is a great name.

If you want the meaning strength personally I would look for other names with that meaning. Admittedly I don’t think you’ll meet any other [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f]’s it is unique, but maybe for a reason?

Millicent (also sounds kind of villainous but has the cute nn of [name_f]Millie[/name_f])
[name_f]Valeria[/name_f]
[name_f]Valencia[/name_f]
[name_f]Briana[/name_f]
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Marcella[/name_f]
[name_f]Luana[/name_f]

1 Like

@Marae_Grace1 - Ahhh, I low-key prefer villain vibes :rofl:

@Reynardine - Interestingly, the spelling [name_f]Drusilla[/name_f] means “fruitful” which doesn’t have the same magic as “strong” for me. I love the potential meaning “voyager” for [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] tho! That would definitely give the name some extra points in my mind!

1 Like

@Amber_Joy - The only person I know of, with a similar name, is a Drascilla, daughter of Deavon Clegg on 90 [name_u]Day[/name_u] Fiance. I really prefer [name_u]Dru[/name_u]- to Dra- but, from what is public, Deavon and I have pretty similar styles, so I just feel like it’s a good fit for me. But I’m just not sure, if nearly everyone is gonna hate the name… Like if I used [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] :neutral_face:

I really like [name_f]Matilda[/name_f], but it’s too popular for me (I need a name that’s outside the top 500 in the US, but outside the top 1,000 is preferred). I also like the meaning behind [name_f]Marcella[/name_f], but my name is [name_f]Michelle[/name_f]… I feel like [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] and [name_f]Marcella[/name_f] are awkward together :grimacing: Maybe that’s just me…

2 Likes

I’m afraid [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] is stuck with an evil connotation for me.
However, I adore [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]! I think of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], and she is a wonderful namesake!

Beatrix is cool. Hard no on [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f]. I think of Cruella, mean stepsisters, Dracula, and vampires. Plus it sounds made up and isn’t pleasing to the ear. Sorry, just being honest! [name_u]Drew[/name_u] is a cute girl’s name if you liked the nn.

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]. [name_u]Bright[/name_u], strong feeling and lively.

1 Like

Not a fan of [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] at all, sorry, but [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] is lovely! I love the nicknames [name_f]Bea[/name_f] and [name_f]Trixie[/name_f], beautiful :two_hearts:

1 Like

Beatrix is great [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] makes me think of the ugly sister from [name_f]Cinderella[/name_f]

Same. As mentioned by a pp it’s Drizella but I thought it was the evil step sisters name. It’s a little to dark for me.

Beatrix is very pretty, dark yet elegant. The the nn options are sweet too.

2 Likes

I like that you’re considering the [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] spelling, it helps to differentiate it from [name_f]Drusilla[/name_f] (sometimes slurred as [name_u]Dru[/name_u]-zilla on [name_f]Buffy[/name_f], making her sound a little more devious as it starts reminding me of Godzilla). I don’t think of Cruella at all though! I think [name_u]Dru[/name_u] is a cute yet smart sounding nickname.

I think because I knew of [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] well before I knew of [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f] Lestrange that this is why I would never misread [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] as [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f]. It barely even reminds me of [name_f]Bellatrix[/name_f] - if anything it’s the other way around.

Being a hardcore [name_f]Buffy[/name_f] fan, I can’t personally recommend [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f], so my vote goes to [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f], which I do think is a lovely name.

If you’re open to other suggestions, my favourite name meaning strong is [name_f]Adira[/name_f]

1 Like

@tianagrace - I loooove Buffy, but I’ll admit it’s been several years since I watched the earlier seasons where [name_f]Drusilla[/name_f] was around (I ship [name_f]Buffy[/name_f]/Spike so I usually rewatch the later seasons :rofl:). So I definitely need to rewatch it if before deciding to seriously consider [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f]!

Thank you for the suggestion of [name_f]Adira[/name_f]! Of course I love the meaning, so I’ll definitely consider it!

1 Like

@MaisieDee - This is kinda a general question, for anyone, but the nn [name_f]Bea[/name_f] looks like it’s pronounced “bee-uh” to me, so I was thinking of the spelling [name_f]Bee[/name_f], for the nn. And I’m not sure if this is still popular but sometimes people refer to their SO as “bae” so I really don’t want anyone confusing that with [name_f]Bea[/name_f]

@Alix2016 I thought her name was [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] as well!

I’m not a fan of [name_f]Drucilla[/name_f] personally, but I love the nn [name_u]Dru[/name_u]!

Beatrix [name_m]Potter[/name_m] (the author of [name_m]Peter[/name_m] Rabbit) was my first association with [name_f]Beatrix[/name_f] as well. It’s an old name and it has a classic whimsy to it that I like.

1 Like

@anon68906791 - I absolutely adore the meaning “battle-mighty” :heart_eyes: I’ll consider the alternate spelling, for sure! But even tho I know it’s essentially the same name, I still read it as Mah-thild-uh :neutral_face:

1 Like

My name is [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] and some people have called me [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] etc but not loads.