Thoughts on Enid?

I love it but feel that the first reaction from most people (I.e. [name_f]Non[/name_f] name nerds, and we live in [name_f]Alabama[/name_f]) will be that it’s frumpy and odd.

Our first daughters name is [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. We get compliments on her name constantly. I love the idea of another two syllable underused name that starts with a long vowel sound. ” Would be [name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f].

I guess I feel that [name_f]Enid[/name_f] feels fresh and polished like [name_f]Elin[/name_f]. Very international. Feminine without being frilly. It doesn’t feel similar to [name_f]Edith[/name_f] or [name_f]Edna[/name_f]. But I think for most people it would seem very outdated and not read the same way it does to me.

Another concern is that people will mistake it for [name_u]Eden[/name_u], which is really popular in my area.

I personally prefer [name_f]Edith[/name_f], which, like [name_f]Iris[/name_f], feels at once vintage and fresh (thanks to Downton [name_u]Abbey[/name_u]). It would probably be more familiar to others as well (thanks to Downton [name_u]Abbey[/name_u]).

But [name_f]Enid[/name_f] complements [name_f]Iris[/name_f] too, and [name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] has a very nice ring to it. I just don’t love the sound of [name_f]Enid[/name_f].

Thanks! I’ve never seen Downton [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] so that’s good to know there is an [name_f]Edith[/name_f] association there. I guess as a whole what’s old is new again.

My concern would be [name_f]Iris[/name_f] getting compliments all the time and [name_f]Enid[/name_f] getting scrunched faces and “how do you spell that?”

[name_f]Enid[/name_f] just doesn’t evoke a pleasant image for me. I’m not fond of the sound. I’m sorry :frowning: But if you love a name that’s really all that matters. Is it a name you will love saying and hearing for the rest of your life? Some similar options if you want them could be, [name_f]Edith[/name_f], [name_f]Emer[/name_f], [name_u]Eden[/name_u], [name_f]Etta[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] is adorable!!

I wish I felt the world was ready for [name_f]Enid[/name_f] again (maybe it’ll cycle back around in a couple decades) because it reminds me of my grandma’s name, [name_f]Edna[/name_f], that I’d love to use as an honor name but I similarly only get scrunched up faces in response.

I think it goes beautifully with [name_f]Iris[/name_f], but I think your concerns are justified. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is in style now; [name_f]Enid[/name_f] is not–I don’t know if that’s something a little [name_f]Enid[/name_f] would be conscious of.

I love [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] nn [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] as a first name. And I think [name_f]Edith[/name_f] sounds great with [name_f]Iris[/name_f].

Thank you all. You’re confirming my suspicions about [name_f]Enid[/name_f] not reading the same to others as it does to me. I really don’t like the TH in [name_f]Edith[/name_f], that one is out.

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] has been our top girl name for a long while. My grandmother is [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] and if it’s a girl we will do [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] as a middle or [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] as a first. I have reservations about [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]. It feels so very [name_m]French[/name_m] and makes [name_f]Iris[/name_f] sound more girly and proper than we see it. I find [name_f]Enid[/name_f] to be spunky like [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]. My favorite name is [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] but DH hates [name_f]Daphne[/name_f] ”

I don’t love it but I can see the appeal. Works with with the combination. :slight_smile:

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Enid[/name_f] are adorable! I love [name_f]Edie[/name_f], too, but [name_f]Enid[/name_f] is even more unexpected. And [name_f]Enid[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] is stunning.

My thoughts exactly.

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] is gorgeous, and I think it goes really well with [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. Some other ideas based on [name_f]Iris[/name_f]/[name_f]Enid[/name_f]/[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]/[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] as inspiration:

[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] (assuming this one’s out seeing as you mentioned it already, but I do love [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f])
[name_f]Gwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Mabel[/name_f]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_f]Zelda[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]

I like [name_f]Enid[/name_f]. My grandmother had a correspondence (friend/cousin??) in [name_m]Wales[/name_m] who was named [name_f]Enid[/name_f], and the love and importance I heard when my grandmother said the name really makes me appreciate it. [name_f]Enid[/name_f] reminds me of buttons and yarn, of a loyal letter writer, but also a spunky storyteller. I think it’s a great match for [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. Because it’s less familiar, I think it will take people meeting your kid to form their own opinions of the name. And if it’s a name on a real kid, they probably won’t form bad opinions!

[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] is beautiful and works nicely with [name_f]Iris[/name_f], but if you are hesitant about the set, might you reverse the name? [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and nn [name_f]Lula[/name_f]/h would be a very spunky sister set. [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] also reads spunky to me. I really like [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvia[/name_f] too.

I like [name_f]Enid[/name_f] but feel most people will regard it as odd. In a few years it will be cool I think. [name_f]Edie[/name_f] makes a lovely nn. I love [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and think it goes well with [name_f]Iris[/name_f].

I love [name_f]Enid[/name_f]! It takes me back to my Sweet [name_f]Valley[/name_f] High days. [name_f]Enid[/name_f] was a friend in those books. [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Enid[/name_f] are stunning together.

Yes! [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Enid[/name_f]. Makes me think of [name_f]Enid[/name_f] Blyton, who was amazing!! [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Enid[/name_f] together are adorable. Go for it!

I would just like to add, I follow someone on instagram (h@nn@hacarpenter) has a daughter called [name_f]Enid[/name_f] who is about 8 or 9 now and she wears it SO well. I actually have a soft spot for [name_f]Enid[/name_f] purely down to this girl - she made me love it.

It’s not very common for children nowadays (obviously) but I do think that it is wearable and I, for one, absolutely love it.

I used to have [name_f]Enid[/name_f] on my list, but took it off because I just didn’t love it as much. But I still like [name_f]Enid[/name_f], and I think the meaning has a lot to do with it. I think [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Enid[/name_f] sound great together, but I have to admit that [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] are perfect and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] is absolutely gorgeous. [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] doesn’t come across as too [name_m]French[/name_m] to me (at least, it isn’t the first thing I think of) more fun, energetic, feisty, and vintage, but it’s quite popular where I live, so I might be used to it.

[name_f]Iris[/name_f] & [name_f]Enid[/name_f] are gooorgeous together. I agree with pps that [name_f]Enid[/name_f] isn’t in style, whereas [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is, but I still think it’s a lovely name and could well become one of the [name_f]Olive[/name_f], [name_f]Philippa[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Edith[/name_f] crowd in the next few years. If you really love it, I say go for it - as long as you and your SO find it beautiful, I wouldn’t worry about other people’s opinions, especially as kids often bring “frumpy” names to life again. Who knows, your daughter could put [name_f]Enid[/name_f] back onto the style map! :wink:

I’m not as fussed on [name_f]Iris[/name_f] & [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]. Style-wise, lovely, but I find the repeating Ss a bit annoying, and, at least to my mind, [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] lacks the pure elegance and strength of [name_f]Iris[/name_f]. But it’s still a lovely name - just not one of my favourites.

A couple in my church named their little girl [name_f]Enid[/name_f]. At first, I did think it was strange and it sounded a little old, but I didn’t find anything wrong with it. It’s grown on me since then and I’m used to it, which I imagine will happen with people who encounter your little girl as well. So if you really like it, go for it.

Thanks everyone! I think this would come down to DHs feelings. He’s loved [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] for a long while and is warming to [name_f]Enid[/name_f].

I just love how [name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Enid[/name_f] sound together. They compliment so well. I love the meaning of [name_f]Enid[/name_f] (soul) as [name_f]Iris[/name_f] is so full of imagery and meaning. I find “[name_f]Iris[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]” a little hard to say with the S sounds, but I adore [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Tallulah[/name_f] called [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] [name_f]Lu[/name_f]. I’ve never met an [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], or [name_f]Enid[/name_f] :slight_smile: