Thoughts on Ermentrude

The title says it all. What are your honest opinions on [name_f]Ermentrude[/name_f]? It’s one of my guilty please favorites, but I wanted to know other’s thoughts on it. The nn’s will be Emmie/Emmy or maybe Emma…

1 Like

Honestly? I like it. I think it’s the softest of the “-trude” names, and there are so many beautiful nickname options. I know it’s a lot of letters, but it still feels light and airy to me

1 Like

It’s not my style. I don’t typically like these harsh and frumpy sort of names, but I think this is worse because I find “erm” and “trude” to not be very pleasant sounds. There’s not much to save this name for me, I’m sorry.

8 Likes

It’s a little clunky, too be honest. The nn’s [name_f]Emmie[/name_f] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] make it more wearable.

1 Like

It’s cool.

1 Like

I like it, very much. However, I think it would be very difficult IRL. [name_f]My[/name_f] brother who knows nothing about names has mentioned it as one of the ugliest names he’s ever heard. Kids can be cruel, and I think they would be. However, as a guilt pleasure, it’s lovely and I love the nn [name_f]Trudy[/name_f].

1 Like

I understand wanting to use unique and vintage names, but as an 18 year old, I really can’t imagine this name being worn on anyone around my age or younger. I agree with user @IrinaNicolaStrong, it would be an extremely difficult name to wear. It sounds and looks very unpleasant to me.

Sorry if this comes across as harsh, it’s just my opinion!

4 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of the -trude names but I don’t dislike Ermentrude by any means. It reminds me a bit of Emeraude, which I like a lot.

I work in childcare and see a lot of interesting names among pre school aged children right now. My own son is Archimedes so I don’t think Ermentrude is unwearable, especially if you utilize a nickname.

1 Like

It’s nice, but it’s not my favorite. It seems a little clunky to me, but I love the nn’s of [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] and [name_f]Emmie[/name_f].

1 Like

To be honest I don’t love the sound of it. It gives me the same vibes as [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f] but [name_f]Emmie[/name_f] is a great nn!

1 Like

One of my favourite names! I’m literally considering it for a future child, probably as a mn. I love it! Nickname [name_f]Emma[/name_f] is cute.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of [name_f]Ermentrude[/name_f], as it has a lot of really harsh sounds in it that I’m not a fan of (“erm” as in a hesitation, like an “um”, “entrude” sounds a lot like “intrude”).

4 Likes

I find it a tad harsh, sorry

1 Like

It feels very old fashioned and clunky. Definitely not my style. (Yet, I surprisingly have a soft spot for [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f].)

1 Like

I prefer Ermengarde! When I was a kid I read A [name_m]Little[/name_m] [name_f]Princess[/name_f] and this was the name of one of the characters. I’ve always thought it was a beautiful name. [name_f]Ermentrude[/name_f] gives me the same feeling. I think they’re both beautiful! And the nickname [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] makes it a lot more wearable and modern. Personally though, I would probably just use it as a middle.

1 Like

Name of the cow in The [name_u]Magic[/name_u] Roundabout is my only association. But that was spelled Ermintrude.

1 Like

To me it sounds harsh and unpleasant, sorry. I just find the “erm” sound very unappealing. It also lacks current namesakes and associations. [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Emmanuelle[/name_f] are much nicer ways to get the nicknames [name_f]Emmie[/name_f] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f], in my opinion.

3 Likes

I don’t like it, sorry. It’s got a very heavy, clunky sound that I think would prove difficult to wear, and it almost feels like a name chosen to make a statement, rather than with the bearer in mind.

Also, although the nicknames [name_f]Emmy[/name_f] and [name_f]Emma[/name_f] certainly freshen it up a lot, there doesn’t really seem much point in using a bold, elaborate, super-stylised name like [name_f]Ermentrude[/name_f] only to call her by the most popular name of the moment.

2 Likes

In my opinion, DEFINITELY NOT as a first name. Maybe , just maybe as a middle name. Sorry, but it is slap bang in the middle of my hate names.

1 Like

Nope nope nope. I prefer [name_f]Emerald[/name_f].