Thoughts on Fan as a Nickname for Frances?

As [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] is coming around, the classic story of “The [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] Carol” has been on my mind, in practical names used in the story.

One that has alway stuck out to me is [name_f]Frances[/name_f] aka “Fan”, Scrooges deceased sister.

In watching the play, and reading the book, I slowly been gaining a sweet spot for the name [name_f]Frances[/name_f], but the nn [name_u]Fran[/name_u] and [name_f]Franny[/name_f] have never been my favourite. But I am a fan of [name_f]Fan[/name_f].

So I’m wondering, would you say that [name_f]Fan[/name_f] has the same associations the nn [name_f]Fanny[/name_f] has? What are your thoughts on [name_f]Frances[/name_f] nn [name_f]Fan[/name_f]? Is it usable?

Thanks for your help!

I think [name_f]Fan[/name_f] could be fine outside of the obvious noun reference, but I would steer clear any way as it could very easily become [name_f]Fanny[/name_f].

1 Like

Hmmm, I do like it, and maybe it could work as an ‘at-home’ nickname - so she wouldn’t have the risk of it becoming Fanny at school?

1 Like

I think [name_f]Fan[/name_f] is super cute! Sweet and vintage. I also really like [name_f]Francie[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Frances[/name_f].

I don’t personally think [name_f]Fan[/name_f] has the same associations as [name_f]Fanny[/name_f]. It makes me think of pretty painted folding handheld fans. However, I’m from the US where the word fanny has a different association (I’m guessing from your spelling of ‘favourite’ that you’re in one of the countries where it has the genitalia meaning). It does mean ‘butt’ here, but I’d say it’s considered somewhat quaint and outdated, almost a tactful euphemism for the body part rather than crude slang for it. Like it’s a word my grandma would have used :joy: In my experience, we only really use it in the term ‘fanny pack’ now. So I’m not sure I can speak to usability for you since the word is used so differently here.

1 Like

[name_f]Frances[/name_f] is a sweet name! I don’t personally like [name_f]Fan[/name_f], but I don’t have any negative associations with it the way I do with [name_f]Fanny[/name_f], I simply struggle to see it as a name. I just think of fans for blowing air, or fans of a TV show, etc. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be usable! That said, if someone introduced herself as [name_f]Fan[/name_f], I wouldn’t be surprised if people started calling her [name_f]Fanny[/name_f], so I agree with the poster who mentioned that [name_f]Fan[/name_f] may be better as an at-home nickname. How do you feel about [name_u]Frankie[/name_u], [name_f]Francie[/name_f], [name_f]Annie[/name_f] or [name_f]Cece[/name_f] as nicknames for [name_f]Frances[/name_f]?

1 Like

I love it. [name_f]Franny[/name_f], [name_f]Fanny[/name_f], [name_u]Fran[/name_u], and [name_f]Fan[/name_f] are all absolutely delightful to me! Yes yes yes. (I similarly love [name_f]Nan[/name_f] as a nickname for any [name_u]Anne[/name_u] adjacent name. So snappy and sweet!)

1 Like