Thoughts on Hadley?

I just came across this name recently for the first time, even though it’s apparently becoming pretty popular. I usually dislike names like this but for some reason I really like it. And I think the name [name]Hadley[/name] [name]June[/name] sounds really sweet. Opinions?

I like it. It’s not typically my style, actually, but I just finished reading The [name]Paris[/name] Wife (a novel told from the point of view of [name]Ernest[/name] [name]Hemingway[/name]'s first wife, [name]Hadley[/name] [name]Richardson[/name]), and I thought that literary/historical connection added some oomph to what I had previously assumed was a modern, trendy name.

I really like [name]Hadley[/name], but earlier when I posted basically the same question as you, I got mostly very negative reactions. some very rude ones, too! said name is masculine which I totally disagree with. I only think of a little girl with that name… I think it is a very classy name for a little one:-)

[name]Love[/name] it! When I saw the title of your post I immediately thought “[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Jane[/name]” but I think [name]June[/name] is an even better Mn. My friend just had a girl named [name]Adley[/name]. I think I prefer [name]Hadley[/name].

I know a little girl with this name and while it’s nice enough it’s not my style at all, way too…‘made up, trendy, surnamey’

I don’t like it for boys or girls, but I guess it’s OK for a mn

[name]Hadley[/name] is a surname, so yes it is masculine/unisex

I like it OK but it’s getting crazy popular. I do like the more feminine [name]June[/name] as a balance to [name]Hadley[/name].

I don’t think it’s masculine at all. When I hear this name I automatically think of a girl. It’s personally not my style and too trendy but [name]Hadley[/name] [name]June[/name] sounds really pretty! It’s a great combination.

[name]Hadley[/name] is soaring in popularity as a girl’s name, and since it was never popular as a boy’s name, I really don’t see it as being unisex. That said, I just think it’s yawn.

I think it’s very masculine, and would only ever consider it for a boy.

Not masculine at all ---- beautiful name for a baby girl:-)) tons of surnames out there - some used for girls and some for boys and some for both - but [name]Hadley[/name] is ALL GIRL to me!!

I think [name]Hadley[/name] is one of the more usable surnames on a girl, and I knew a [name]Hadley[/name] whose name fit her perfectly. I think [name]Hadley[/name] [name]June[/name] is a stunning combination!

It sounds really masculine and clunky to me. I don’t think it’s awful, but it’s definitely not something that appeals to me.

[name]Love[/name] it! I am planning on using it in a story, if I can ever finish it. :slight_smile: It’s not my usual style, but I like it anyway. I think because it reminds me of [name]Ashley[/name], which I equally love. :slight_smile:

It’s such a surprising hit- I thought this name permanently belonged to [name]Hadley[/name] [name]Hemingway[/name], but it looks like it entered the top 1000 in the late 90s and has been there ever since. In 2009 it hit #363 with 887 girls born…which doubled to 1750 girls given that name in 2011 (#178). It does sound a bit like two supertrends meeting: [name]Maddy[/name] and [name]Addy[/name] mushed with [name]Hayley[/name] and a pinch of [name]Ashley[/name], which is probably both why it’s so popular and why it gets quite a bit of flak :slight_smile:

While I like [name]Hadley[/name] much, much more than I like other surname names, it’s very tied to the not-altogether-happy history of [name]Hadley[/name], [name]Ernest[/name] [name]Hemingway[/name]'s first wife (he was eight years younger than her, and left her for another woman when their son was small). There have been a couple of high-profile books published about her in the last year, and if a movie is made of The [name]Paris[/name] Wife I can see this name going into the Top 25 in the next few years. It’s up to you whether that’s a bonus or a negative, I guess!

[name]Afton[/name] is a name that has a similar style to me- usually feminine but a unisex feel, with an Edwardian/Twenties feel, if you’re looking for an alternative.

I do not like it on a girl.
I love it on a boy.
I’d support an [name]Adelaide[/name] nn [name]Hadley[/name].