Thoughts on Hosea

What do you think of [name_m]Hosea[/name_m]? Is it usable in real life? Adoring the potential nickname [name_u]Sea[/name_u]…

I’ve always heard it as Ho-zay-uh, so [name_u]Sea[/name_u] as a nickname would be a bit of a stretch, but would work. I think it’s cute, definitely brave but not unusable.

1 Like

Hosea is intriguing but the first syllable does put me off a bit

1 Like

My exact thoughts… [name_f]My[/name_f] concern is that even though my love for the full [name_m]Hosea[/name_m] can allow me to overlook the first syllable, this thinking doesn’t apply to everyone (sigh)…

I think it fits in with other similar-sounding biblical names like [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m], [name_m]Josiah[/name_m]…

I wonder whether [name_m]Hosea[/name_m] would often get mispronounced by people (the nickname [name_u]Sea[/name_u] might add to the confusion), and then there’s the actual story of [name_m]Hosea[/name_m]—it involves a promiscuous woman. That coupled with the first syllable would make me hesitant… buuut I don’t think it’s necessary a dealbreaker. [name_m]Just[/name_m] about every name has some kind of fodder for teasing.

2 Likes

I’d spell it differently if you wanted it pronounced Hosheah.

Yehoshua with a nickname [name_f]Shua[/name_f] could work.

1 Like

How’s it pronounced? Hose-sea? Hoe-zay?
I’m not a fan personally.

1 Like

I think it’s more of a Ho-zay-yuh😊.

1 Like

I LOVE IT!!! Go for it. The nickname may be a stretch but I like the nn. I feel where we see a rise in names like [name_m]Boaz[/name_m], [name_m]Jethro[/name_m], [name_m]Silas[/name_m], [name_u]Ezra[/name_u], or [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] (my newborns name) why not [name_m]Hosea[/name_m]!

1 Like

Aww, [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] is lovely by the way! A handsome name for a boy😍.

This name is everything I love. H name, Biblical, has colonial ties, and was an important historical figure. However, I just can’t get over my inclination to pronounce it “ho-see.”

1 Like

I love it! I pronounce it as ho-SEE-uh.

1 Like

I’ve always heard it pronounced ho-ZAY-uh… I think it’s the kind of name that different people are going to pronounce different ways. I do like it though. It’s different, without being too out-there.

1 Like

I really like it! It’s much more appealing to me than [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m]! I pronounce it Ho-zay-yah.

1 Like