Thoughts on Hungarian name Zsolt?

Zsolt is an ancient Hungarian name meaning “sultan/king”. It is pronounced Zh-owlt. It is one syllable, rhyming with [name_m]Colt[/name_m].

What do you think? Is it too unusual? It’s a family name, and I am warming up to it.

Thank you!

I think it’s a great name - I lived in Hungary for a year as an English teacher, and it’s pretty common there.

But.

In an English-speaking country, he’ll have to hear his name mispronounced all the time. Most people will probably say zolt or solt, but who knows what people will come out with. And even once he corrects them, he’ll probably get called “jolt” A LOT. People just won’t get the zs sound.

I say this as someone who lives in NYC, an international city with lots of immigrants and lots of ethnic names. It happens to kids here all the time, but they usually have unusual names because their families are from that place, there’s a strong connection, and probably that language spoken in the home, too.

If you don’t have strong Hungarian ties, do you want your son to have to explain his name and its pronunciation his entire life? It’s something you should think hard about…

[name_m]How[/name_m] about Zsolt for a middle? :slight_smile:

I love honoring heritage. However, I would have pen it solt. You will need to be prepared to correct prn and spelling.

I think it’s a great name! way to find a good name :slight_smile: