Thoughts on Ishmael

Hello everyone!

I have recently taken a very long break from all things baby due to my husband and I starting IVF :slight_smile: but I think it’s time I come back!

Most of our loved names remain the same as they always have, but I have recently started to quite like the name [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m]. I would love some of your thoughts and opinions on this, please :slight_smile: what do you guys think? Usable in today’s society?

[name_m]Worth[/name_m] noting - Our number one boys name still remains as [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] :slight_smile:

Thank you all!
[name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_f]Paige[/name_f]⚘

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] back, [name_f]Emily[/name_f]!

I absolutely LOVE [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m]. Seriously love it.

It’s soft yet sturdy, super uncommon yet widely familiar, has literary ties, and just sounds beautiful. I definitely think it’s usable today, and I think it would be especially fabulous paired with [name_m]Gideon[/name_m]. They have the same cool, quietly quirky Biblical vibe to me.

Very best of luck with your IVF journey :four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

[name_m]Ishmael[/name_m] is a great name! I know a little [name_m]Ismael[/name_m] and he is adorable! The name is unique, but definitely usable in today’s society. It’s a great biblical name. Very elegant and strong for a boy/man.

1 Like

Absolutely!

Very good and strong boy names!

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] back and good luck :relaxed:

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] back!

[name_m]Ishmael[/name_m] is excellent. Distinctive, gentle, easy to say and interesting. I can see [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] and [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m] together

I absolutely love [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m]. It is one of those boy names with downy gentleness and innocence that grows and transforms with age to a strong, confident, capable man’s name. Others in the same group are [name_m]Joel[/name_m], [name_u]Jonah[/name_u], [name_u]Noah[/name_u], and [name_u]Luca[/name_u] but because of the virtues of these names each has become very popular, while one of the benefits of [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m] is that it is so much less exposed. The literary tie is a bonus.

I think the idea of [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m] being cast out and banished and not being the biological son of a consummate, fertile marriage can be troublesome if people have negative associations with the name, but the other qualities and associations win out in my book. I think it is the only way to account for the name’s under-exposure, however. Hopefully it doesn’t bother you and you’ll get a chance to use it!

1 Like

I had a student named [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m] this year and it makes me feel like the name is more wearable and appealing than I might have previously thought. (The ish sound didn’t seem that attractive to me, but now that I’ve known one I’m getting used to it.) I absolutely love [name_m]Gideon[/name_m] [name_m]Tobias[/name_m], btw!

I’ve always liked [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m], I think people can use it without too much trouble, the older generations may say ‘call me [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m]’ now and then and there’s the Biblical [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m], son of [name_m]Abraham[/name_m]. I do not hear it around places there are many children playing and while we know soooo many kids… So far no [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m]… As far as I’m concerned it’s up for grabs and you might even have the only one in his life! It’s not strong in the [name_u]Nick[/name_u] name department and for that reason I do think it may do well as a middle over a first BUT I do like it as a first. Your other name I also like very much!

Thank you for all the lovely replies! I too think it surely would be usable in today’s society :slight_smile:

Sadly, my husband has decided he doesn’t like it, so it will be put over on my list of loves never to be used. I swear, the hardest thing about names is purely finding ones you both agree on :slight_smile:

I do appreciate all the love for [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m] though xx

1 Like