Thoughts on Jacoba?

I was watching a video that had a woman named [name_f]Jacoba[/name_f] (juh-CO-ba) on it. I’ve never heard of this before. I mean, I’ve heard of [name_m]Jacobi[/name_m] for a boy, but never any other variants. It’s growing on me, though I don’t think we’d use it. I’m just curious on what others think of it and if you think it is usable with how common [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] is for boys.

Hmm, I’m not sure I’m a huge fan. It almost feels like an awkward version of [name_f]Julia[/name_f]. I like certain feminizations, but this one feels a little bit forced to me. I also think that it might be misheard as [name_m]Jacob[/name_m], and cause confusion that way, and share your concern about using this in light of the popularity of [name_m]Jacob[/name_m].

I prefer Yakova, which would be the original feminization of [name_m]Yakov[/name_m] aka [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] so therefore the equivalent of [name_f]Jacoba[/name_f].

I like Jacobus as another alternative for a boy. I agree that this feels like forced feminization.

When I say it aloud I like it better than when i read it silently. I think the hardest part is not having people default to [name_u]Jay[/name_u]-cuh-buh.

It makes me think of the actress [name_m]Cobie[/name_m] Smulders. I used to watch HIMYM and she’s the only [name_f]Jacoba[/name_f] I’ve ever heard of. I am not a huge fan, but I have nothing against it either. [name_m]Just[/name_m] nms.

I have a [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] (named before it became popular) so I like [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] names. I like Jacobia even better than [name_f]Jacoba[/name_f]. [name_f]Bea[/name_f] would be a cute nn, too.

I don’t strongly dislike it - but it has too many strong consonants in it for my taste.

I kind of like it, but I think people will automatically pronounce it like [name_m]Jacob[/name_m] with an -a slapped on the end ([name_u]JAY[/name_u]-CUB-a) instead of Jah-[name_m]COB[/name_m]-ah.