Thoughts on Jessa

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Berries, what do you think of the name [name_f]Jessa[/name_f]? Currently I love it but is it too reminiscent of the name [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]? I don’t like that as much for a baby born today and can’t tell if [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] feels refreshing and like it’s own name or not.

1 Like

I prefer it to Jessica but I’d prefer just Jess to both. But I do like Jessa; she’s fun and autumnal, patterned scarves and overalls and fuzzy socks.

I feel similarly about Tessa — I prefer it to Theresa but I prefer Tess to Tessa.

3 Likes

I like [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] more than [name_f]Jessa[/name_f].
To me [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] always sounds like trying to make a cool shortcut to [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], but not quite getting the vibe right.

1 Like

[name_f]Jessa[/name_f] is kind of rugged and sharp, but it does feel similar in vibe to [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]. I don’t think that’s an issue though

1 Like

I like it. I personally prefer [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] or [name_u]Jess[/name_u] but its also nice and doesn’t feel dated at all.

1 Like

I like [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] a lot and I’m really happy to see a little bit of chatter about it appearing on the forums. I think the association with [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] is inevitable, however I love the idea of [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] as a full name or a NN for [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] :purple_heart:

1 Like

not a fan. I much prefer [name_u]Jess[/name_u], [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] & [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]!

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], it feels a bit nothingy to me but that’s just personal taste. I definitely know it’s a name in its own right though, so wouldn’t assume it’s short for [name_f]Jessica[/name_f].

1 Like

I think [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] is more appealing [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]. I know a girl named Jessia and I find her name really cute!

2 Likes

Intrigued that most people don’t love it so far. I personally prefer it to 90s-dated [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] as it sounds like a more contemporary, streamlined evolution of the name whilst still retaining quite a romantic sound (and doesn’t contain the ‘sick’ sound…). It’s sparky, confident and feminine.

I also love [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] and [name_u]Jess[/name_u]!

1 Like

I’m surprised people prefer [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]. To me [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] is sweet and [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] is a little dated x

It definitely injects some life into [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], which I still think is a fine name but definitely has an 80s/90s association. [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] skirts that while retaining a lot of the vibe and sound of [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]. [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] is young and vibrant and toes the line of uncommon but not unfamiliar. The ONLY thing I can say though, and I have zero idea why, is that it feels kinda 2010 to me?? I feel like if it were to gain popularity, that’s when it had the opportunity. I have zero clue why I have that association, though.

1 Like

I love [name_f]Jessa[/name_f]! Much more than [name_f]Jessica[/name_f], and I would use it as a nn for Jessamine🧡

1 Like

jessa is gorgeous! i prefer it to jess, jessie and jessica, and it has a rather calming vibe. a lovely name, and it isn’t as dated as jessica!

1 Like

[name_f]Jessa[/name_f] sounds cool and spunky, but I do very much associate it with the Girls character played by [name_f]Jemima[/name_f] [name_m]Kirke[/name_m]!

And aside from that, I think I’d still slightly prefer the crisper [name_u]Jess[/name_u]!

1 Like

Same!

1 Like

I like it decently, and much better than [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]!

1 Like

It’s very much associated with the Duggar family and therefore with the scandals surrounding certain family members.

Therefore I would be hesitant to use it as it is so uncommon and about as tied to [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] Duggar as [name_f]Mariah[/name_f] is to [name_u]Carey[/name_u] or [name_f]Beyoncé[/name_f] to, well, [name_f]Beyoncé[/name_f]. If she does anything terrible your daughter will be somehow connected to it through her name.

I like [name_f]Jenna[/name_f] even though [name_f]Jennifer[/name_f] was very common once. [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] sounds more modern than [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]. I dislike [name_f]Jessica[/name_f] personally but it’s still a decent name.

I would personally pick [name_u]Jessie[/name_u] instead or maybe [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f] nn [name_f]Jessa[/name_f]? But not just [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] because of the associations.

1 Like

I like [name_f]Jessa[/name_f] a lot, and can easily imagine it on a toddler, elementary age kid, or teenager.

1 Like

I’m going to respectfully disagree here, I don’t think Jessa is that tied to the Duggars. I forgot they had a Jessa until reading this post. The Duggars are nowhere near the level of public consciousness of Mariah Carey or Beyoncé.

2 Likes