Thoughts on Jonathan?

I’ve really been loving [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] a lot lately, but I’m not 100% on it. Its popularity doesn’t really bother me, and I love the strength of the name. What are your thoughts?

1 Like

I think it’s a very nice name! Lots of good nickname potential but also stands well on its own. The only drawback is the possible popularity and like you said, that doesn’t bother you (after all names get popular for a reason and they’re usually nice ones). So I think it’s great! I actually haven’t met too many [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]‘s either. Mostly [name_m]John[/name_m]/Jon and I think even the popularity of that has been slowly going down.

John is also a family name so I’ve thought a lot about [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] as an honor middle. I think I’ll go with [name_m]John[/name_m] myself but [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] is great and I’d be glad to see someone use it :blush:

1 Like

I like [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]. I do prefer [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], [name_m]Josiah[/name_m], and [name_m]John[/name_m] a bit, but [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] is a good name.

1 Like

I didn’t know [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] was popular! Other than the writer [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] [name_m]Swift[/name_m] and the book [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] [name_m]Livingston[/name_m] [name_m]Seagull[/name_m], I’ve only taught two Jonathans and one went by [name_m]Jon[/name_m] and I’ve been teaching for 30 years. I also knew a man who must be in his early 40’s by now, but it doesn’t seem that common to me.

1 Like

It’s seems pretty timeless to me

2 Likes

Love the name. I even like [name_m]Jonathyn[/name_m] for a girl.

1 Like

It’s rather refreshing on a today’s boy, imo. I’m not a big fan of it, though. It’s just not my cup of tea.

1 Like

I really like [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m].

I cannot offer my view on the popularity of it because I’m not a part of the [name_f]English[/name_f]-speaking world.

Nevertheless, I think it seems like a classic name that anyone can easily recognise and spell, while also being a little bit more unexpected than [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] or [name_m]Jeremy[/name_m]/Jeremiah for example.

1 Like

I like [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]. I’ve only ever met one and it always struck me as having a strong but caring vibe. I like the literary feel too

1 Like

I’ve always liked Jonathan and I have great associations with it. Compared to James, William, Jacob etc, I don’t think it’s that common.

1 Like

I think [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] is really handsome strong name I actually really like [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] I think it’s just ageless and is refreshing to see on a little boy amongst a sea of [name_u]Jayden[/name_u]’s!

1 Like

I think it’s a nice name! It’s not overly used, has a lot of nickname potential, and is well known enough to be easy to pronounce and spell.

1 Like

It’s a nice, classic name. It’s also very versatile in nickname options ([name_u]Nat[/name_u], [name_m]Nate[/name_m], [name_m]Jon[/name_m], [name_m]Joe[/name_m], etc.) I used to know a couple teenage [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m]’s, but [name_m]John[/name_m] is more popular where I live. [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] would be nice to see more often; it’s a solid, strong name.

1 Like

Jonathan is a classic. This is my cousin’s name and he is the only [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] I know. It’s certainly timeless and it stands well on its own, so it doesn’t need a nickname (although there are obvious nickname options.)

1 Like