Thoughts on Kennedy?

DH and I have liked [name]Kennedy[/name] for awhile, but I’ve started to question it a bit. First of all, I dislike the nickname [name]Kenna[/name], because there are so many [name]MaKenna[/name], [name]McKenna[/name], etc. variations around here. I do like the nickname [name]Kenny[/name] and the full name of course, but I’m sure it would get shortened to [name]Kenna[/name] occasionally. Also, I don’t know about the political connotations that come with it…and the fact that it’s rather popular. Opinions? Middle name would be [name]Faye[/name].

[name]IMO[/name] I think that it is just as popular (if not more) as [name]McKenna[/name]. Actually though it seems that [name]Kennedy[/name] has already had it’s peak and is dying down, where as [name]McKenna[/name] is still rising. It’s a cute Irish name, but so popular.

I forgot to add that I think that the meaning of the name really kills it for me… ‘mis-shapen head’.

Yes, I agree with [name]Raquel[/name] that it is quite popular. But, really, I don’t think it is cute at all for a girl - middle name, MAYBE - and it has an absolutely horrendous meaning (if meanings hold any significance to you). I don’t know if you’ve ever heard of Kenadie, one of the so-called “littlest people in the world,” but the name always reminds me of her - I think she is too cute and I’ve always wished her parents would have picked a cuter name for her! [name]Just[/name] my thoughts…

So, I thought instead of just slamming your name, I could suggest a few more unisex Irish names for you…

[name]Caelan[/name] [name]Faye[/name] - “slender person”
[name]Darcy[/name] [name]Faye[/name] - “dark one”
[name]Keelin[/name] [name]Faye[/name] - “fair and slender”
[name]Reagan[/name] [name]Faye[/name] - “little king”
[name]Rory[/name] [name]Faye[/name] - “red king”

I think it’s a little stale of a name… it was popular in like early 90s… I think there are fresher names to consider.

Like [name]Raquel[/name], I can’t get past the meaning, “deformed head.” Aside from that, it honestly does feel pretty dated to me, and reminds me of the [name]Mackenzie[/name]/Makenzi/Makenzee/[name]McKenna[/name]/[name]Makena[/name], etc. craze.

You may also like:

[name]Bellamy[/name]
[name]Connelly[/name]
[name]Delaney[/name]
[name]Emery[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Flannery[/name]
Isaly
[name]Kerrigan[/name]
[name]Romilly[/name] (nn [name]Romy[/name])
[name]Willoughby[/name]
[name]Waverly[/name]

[name]Arden[/name]
[name]Auden[/name]
[name]Carlin[/name]
Carrington
[name]Darien[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Hadley[/name]
[name]Kirby[/name]
[name]Linden[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Quincy[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Reese[/name]
[name]Sawyer[/name]
[name]Tierney[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I also feel like this name is dated and belongs to the avery/taylor/madison crowd. But I love [name]Faye[/name]! what about [name]Faye[/name] kennedy?

I don’t think [name]Kennedy[/name] is terrible (I tend not to get too hung up on literal meanings of names), but it does seem like there are so many others of the “three-syllable Irish surname” ilk that are so much nicer. I agree with the poster who suggested [name]Faye[/name] [name]Kennedy[/name], though–it definitely sounds a bit fresher as a middle name.

I like it. I would have thought about using it -but I like nickname names-and that is not one that gives to a good nickname that I can think of.
It may be or have been popular in the U.S in general but not where we live at all.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and honesty. I really appreciate it! DH and I originally had talked about it 5 years ago or so…I think it’s time we come up with a prettier, fresher girl’s name. :slight_smile: I really like the suggestion of [name]Romilly[/name]–I’m going to throw that one out there tonight! Thanks again.

I’m glad you found something you like! (I hope that he likes [name]Romilly[/name], too!) :slight_smile:

Take care!