Thoughts on Kepler?

My husband and I are really loving the name Kepler for #2. Its the first boy name we’ve found that both of us love so we’re excited but I don’t want to be hasty! Any downsides you can think of? It seems pretty easy to pronounce/spell to me. Anything I’m not thinking of?
Secondly- our planned middle name for a boy was [name_m]Johan[/name_m] (my husband’s dad’s middle name), but seems sort of funny to use that with Kepler as the astronomer was [name_m]Johannes[/name_m] Kepler… thoughts?

I’m just not a fan, it doesn’t sound like a first name to me. It isn’t Horrible though, and I think you’re right about ease of spelling/pronunciation.

One downside is that depending on your surname Kepler might be too surname-y. For example, if your surname was [name_u]James[/name_u], Kepler [name_u]James[/name_u] would sound like a last name and then a first name. Also, the only obvious nickname is [name_m]Kip[/name_m] which you might dislike.
As for my personal opinion, I find it a bit too much of a surname to imagine as a first name, but everyone has different tastes.
Kepler [name_m]Johan[/name_m] could work, though some select few could assume you’re big astronomy fans, which doesn’t seem like the biggest issue to me.

I think it is fine and I like that it is uncommon, strong and masculine, but not weird, so I think it would be easy to wear. Because it is uncommon some people may take a short time to adjust to it as a first name but it is straight forward both as the name itself, and in the spelling. Kepler [name_m]Johan[/name_m] flows very nicely. You have found a name you love so I think you should go with it!

Why anyone thinks “this surname name is too surnamey” is a helpful or worthwhile thing to say is beyond me. I think it’s fine.

Has nice scientific appeal to me! Fits right in with current trends. And [name_m]Kip[/name_m] is a great nn idea.

I do think Kepler [name_m]Johan[/name_m] is kind of funny. You could always use the grandfather’s first name as the middle?

Not a fan.

I’ll be honest… I don’t like it (picturing seaweed from Kelp), but if you do that’s all that matters!! [name_m]Keller[/name_m] might be a cleaner alternative.

Ok, as one of the others said, let’s assume your last name was [name_u]James[/name_u].

I think the name Kepler [name_m]Johan[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] is a very good name. Go for it.

I really like it actually. I think it’s unique and I like the connection to the astronomer. I think [name_m]Kep[/name_m]/[name_m]Kip[/name_m] is an adorable nickname as well.

I am really loving Kepler! It is straightforward yet unexpected and handsome. I would say go for it.
I definitely think with naming your son Kepler [name_m]Johan[/name_m], some people will think he is named after the astronomer. Some people will not make the connection. But even if some do, I’d say it’s not a huge deal. It’s not a negative connection, and you know the meaning behind why you chose the names.

All the best.

Kepler is nice. Not my very favorite but I don’t find it too strange and could see it growing on me rather quickly.
I’d say Kepler [name_m]Johan[/name_m] is fine. When you announce his birth and his name you might get people asking about the astronomer… But honestly, his middle is used so rarely, I wouldn’t let that stop you. The family connection is the meaning that matters.

I hadn’t heard of/ thought of Kepler before but I quite like it, it might grow on me. Great that you’re both excited about it.
I love the nn [name_m]Kep[/name_m]/[name_m]Kip[/name_m].

In [name_m]New[/name_m] Zealand there’s a famous walk/hike called Kepler [name_m]Track[/name_m] which is very beautiful! A positive association

I like it! It’s nerdy (I say that lovingly!), easy to pronounce, and really hits that sweet spot of uncommon yet familiar.

snort I had a long day, thanks for making me laugh.

It fits in with the acceptance of “surname as given name”. It also fits in with with other popular 'er ending names like [name_m]Asher[/name_m].

Scrolled down to say the same as the poster above… fits in with the surname trend though surname was not my first thought… more that it fits well with the [name_m]Asher[/name_m]/[name_m]Oliver[/name_m]/[name_u]Parker[/name_u]/[name_m]Wilder[/name_m]/etc trend. It seems uncommon but not unfamiliar.

Kepler is not appealing to me…sorry…it sounds like someone trying to hard to come up with a surname that hasn’t been used yet.