Thoughts on list and suggestions needed for DD#2!

We have a daughter named [name]Emory[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] and we call her [name]Emmy[/name]. [name]Both[/name] are family names. Her little sister is arriving SOON and we need help! The names I like are:

[name]Ava[/name] - even though it’s popular. But does it sound off with [name]Emmy[/name]? I didn’t want anything popular with DD1, but now I don’t care as much because I feel like they become their name.

[name]Katherine[/name] nn [name]Kate[/name] - a family name and I [name]LOVE[/name] it, but it’s my niece’s name, so I have to be really certain about this one.

[name]Clara[/name] - love the name, but if we ever have a boy, we want a [name]Charlie[/name] and I’d hate to have two C’s. stupid reasoning?

[name]Ruth[/name] nn [name]Rue[/name] - love [name]Rue[/name] way more than [name]Ruth[/name] (it’s a family name), but is it weird to have two children that don’t really go by their “given” name?

[name]Violet[/name] - [name]Emory[/name] was very close to being [name]Violet[/name], but I found it a little trendy, and I think I was right.

Would you great berries mind giving me only THREE of your favorite names that go with our little [name]Emmy[/name]? I get overwhelmed by the long lists. Oh, and your thoughts on the names we currently like?

[name]Olive[/name] is a family name that we might use as a middle, but probably only if it fits right with her first name.

Can’t wait to hear responses! Thank you!!

I think [name]Ava[/name], [name]Clare[/name], and [name]Kate[/name] are all nice with [name]Emory[/name] (love it, by the way). However, I think of those as more traditional and [name]Emory[/name] as a little more unique. What about Aven?

there is a child I know named [name]Olive[/name] [name]Brinn[/name], I thinks its cute and way different

I really like either [name]Ava[/name] or [name]Clara[/name] with [name]Emory[/name]. I can see why you’d want to avoid a C name if you have your heart set on [name]Charlie[/name] in the future, though.

[name]Ava[/name] is popular, but it’s sweet. It also feels less trendy to me than [name]Violet[/name], for instance.

[name]Ava[/name] - It doesnt sound off with [name]Emmy[/name] at all imo. I think it is a great name, but I have gotten a little tired of hearing it. It doesnt feel as special as [name]Emory[/name] does to me.

[name]Katherine[/name] nn [name]Kate[/name] - I wouldnt use the same name as your niece, that would be a bit strange imo.

[name]Clara[/name] - Beautiful name. I wouldnt worry about potentially having two Cs, after all [name]Charlie[/name] and [name]Clara[/name] dont begin with the same sound. [name]Clara[/name] is a little girly next to [name]Emory[/name], but I honestly like the distinction.

[name]Ruth[/name] nn [name]Rue[/name] - [name]Ruth[/name] is a little dowdy imo. What about [name]Ruby[/name] “[name]Rue[/name]”?

[name]Violet[/name] - [name]Love[/name] [name]Violet[/name], I dont think it is too trendy. I actually think this is the best match with [name]Emory[/name].

Three names I could picture with [name]Emory[/name] “[name]Emmy[/name]”…
[name]Aster[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]- or [name]Lillian[/name] “[name]Lily[/name]”

[name]Hope[/name] that helps! Let us know what you decide.

[name]Hi[/name]!

I like a lot of the names on your list - [name]Violet[/name], [name]Katherine[/name], and [name]Clara[/name] stand out - but I do have to say I find them too feminine and vintage to match with big sister [name]Emory[/name]'s name, despite the fact you call her [name]Emmy[/name]. Have you considered using one of these names as a middle name - [name]Katherine[/name] would be a great choice! - and using a different, more unisex name as a first name? You may also want to play with alliteration as you did with [name]Emmy[/name]'s name! [name]Just[/name] in case, here are some ideas:

[name]Kendall[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Kennedy[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Kirby[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]

[name]Cameron[/name] [name]Clara[/name]
[name]Carson[/name] [name]Clara[/name]

I don’t know if those fit your style, but [name]Kendall[/name] [name]Katherine[/name] is my favorite. [name]Kendall[/name] and [name]Emory[/name] fit together stylistically, as do [name]Katherine[/name] and [name]Elizabeth[/name]. You could call her something off of her middle name, like [name]Kit[/name], but [name]Kendall[/name] is perfectly sweet on its own!

Other names I like with [name]Emory[/name] are [name]Teagan[/name], [name]Tatum[/name], [name]Addison[/name], and [name]Reese[/name]. I can’t believe I just suggested [name]Addison[/name], but [name]Addie[/name] is a vintage nickname like [name]Emmy[/name], so it just fits. Off your list, I think I like [name]Clara[/name] best, but I’d pick [name]Violet[/name] to go with [name]Emory[/name] - I just don’t think any of them are stylistic matches to [name]Emmy[/name]'s name, unfortunately…

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I would go with a modern, androgynous sounding name with a girly, vintage nickname to go with [name]Emory[/name]. [name]Ava[/name] seems too mainstream with [name]Emory[/name], you might consider [name]Avalon[/name] or [name]Aveline[/name] with the nickname [name]Ava[/name]. [name]Katherine[/name] is pretty and classic, but again I think it’s too common with [name]Emory[/name], same with [name]Clara[/name]. [name]Ruth[/name] is my favorite from you list. [name]Rue[/name] is very cute. Though I’m not sure it really works with [name]Emory[/name]- they are very different in style. You’re right about [name]Violet[/name] being trendy, despite the prettiness of the name. So, my top three choices with [name]Emory[/name] would be:

[name]Hadley[/name] [name]Olive[/name] “Haddie” - if you don’t mind the repeating -y ending, I love this name and Haddie is one of my all time fave nicknames)

[name]Hollis[/name] [name]Kate[/name] or [name]Hollis[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] “[name]Holly[/name]” - [name]Hollis[/name] [name]Olive[/name] has too much “ol” in it. I think [name]Hollis[/name] is perfect with [name]Emory[/name].

[name]Campbell[/name] [name]Ruth[/name] - “[name]Cami[/name]” or “[name]Belle[/name]/[name]Bella[/name]” - I’ve always found [name]Campbell[/name] to be really cute on a girl, and the nicknames are perfect. I prefer the [name]Belle[/name] nickname, especially with [name]Emmy[/name] ([name]Emmy[/name] and [name]Cami[/name] are a bit matchy, though [name]Emmy[/name] and [name]Cam[/name] could be very cute). [name]Campbell[/name] [name]Olive[/name] sounds like a type of soup to me though :slight_smile:

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

Thank you all for the insightful suggestions! I’m aware that [name]Emory[/name] is typically thought of as a unisex name, but we’re actually not at all fans of “unisex” names as a whole. We found [name]Emory[/name] to be more feminine sounding, if you will, and have made it extra frilly by calling her [name]Emmy[/name]. Therefore, I appreciate the [name]Kendall[/name], [name]Cambell[/name]… etc. suggestions, but I’m not really a fan and DH wouldn’t go for it.

Secondly, I somewhat agree that the [name]Kate[/name]'s and [name]Ava[/name]'s sound more timeless than [name]Emory[/name], but that’s actually more our style. Would having an [name]Emmy[/name] and [name]Kate[/name] be that distinctively different? I worried about this when naming her, but we wanted a family name and DH and I could only agree on [name]Emory[/name]. This time around he’s a lot more agreeable.

It looks like [name]Clara[/name] has some appreciation with DD#1. I really love that name. I also like someones suggestion (sorry, I forgot who) of [name]Sadie[/name]. [name]Sarah[/name] is a family name. Although, I feel as if [name]Sadie[/name] and [name]Emmy[/name] sound very matchy, matchy.

Keep 'em coming ladies! Thank you!!

I completely understand that unisex isn’t your style. I don’t think [name]Emmy[/name] and [name]Kate[/name] are stylistically wrong together, but I personally would do something a bit different, like [name]Kit[/name], just to further distance the nickname from [name]Katherine[/name], considering it is your niece’s name. Plus, [name]Kit[/name] is sort of androgynous, so it fits better with [name]Emory[/name], which bridges the gap between a somewhat Colonial male name and a modern unisex name - does that make sense?

I also think [name]Sarah[/name] would be very sweet with [name]Emmy[/name], and you don’t have to use [name]Sadie[/name] as her nickname. My sister is [name]Sarah[/name], and my mom calls her [name]Sari[/name], Sar-[name]Bear[/name], and her full name, [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Price[/name]. [name]Sadie[/name] is great for a youngster, but I feel like she might grow out of that one pretty quickly.

Now, if you are looking for vintage names that might work well with the rather unisex [name]Emory[/name], here are my suggestions:

[name]Alice[/name] - [name]Alice[/name] isn’t too frilly, yet it maintains a fun, whimsical, feminine flavor. [name]Ali[/name] is a modern, playful nickname, but the name in full is just as exciting! She could be Lissy or something if [name]Ali[/name] isn’t your style (I once knew an [name]Elisabeth[/name] who only went by Lissy…)

[name]Charlotte[/name] - Now, I know your heart is set on [name]Charlie[/name] for a future boy, but you could easily make that happen now with your little girl. [name]Charlotte[/name] isn’t too frilly that it makes [name]Emory[/name] look boyish, yet it has enough of that vintage, feminine charm to look at home with [name]Emmy[/name]. [name]Charlie[/name] is obviously a nice nickname, but if vintage is more your style, you might like [name]Lottie[/name].

[name]Frances[/name] - Again, this name has a classic, unisex feel considering the once popular [name]Francis[/name] was used for boys. I really do love [name]Frances[/name], and I think it is an underused classic name. I once met the most adorable little girl who was called [name]Frances[/name], and actress [name]Amanda[/name] Peet has a daughter named [name]Frances[/name] whom she calls [name]Frankie[/name]. So, you get that spunky [name]Frankie[/name] nickname that works beautifully with [name]Emmy[/name] and [name]Emory[/name], or you could go for [name]Francie[/name] (like [name]France[/name], but with an “ee” sound added - I once knew a [name]Frances[/name] “[name]Francie[/name]”) for a name with more of a 1950s styling. Super-cute name, I think!

[name]Grace[/name] - Why not play it simple with [name]Grace[/name]? Once - and, to an extent, still - a filler middle name, [name]Grace[/name] takes on a more lively, vibrant appearance when used as a first name. You get the short but sweet [name]Grace[/name] - perfect with [name]Emmy[/name], yet not too feminine to feel out of place with [name]Emory[/name] - and the cutesy [name]Gracie[/name], darling for a little girl.

[name]Helen[/name] - [name]Helen[/name] is one of those names that you don’t see too often, and if you do see it, it’s probably on an old woman. However, I’ve seen the name on a ten-year-old girl, and it totally works! Now, you can call her [name]Helen[/name], or you can take a clue from [name]Heidi[/name] Klum, who’s [name]Helene[/name] goes almost exclusively by the cute and spunky [name]Leni[/name] (“lenny”)! Now, that is the perfect blend of classic elegance and modern flair, right?

[name]Julia[/name] - Perhaps more frilly than my other suggestions, [name]Julia[/name] is one of the most perfect names for girls in my opinion. It’s beautiful in full, it has a fairly nice meaning, it really doesn’t get pronounced incorrectly, and it sounds beautiful. Plus, you get that spunky [name]Jules[/name] nickname - that’s what I call my friend, [name]Julia[/name]. [name]Emmy[/name] and [name]Jules[/name] are distinct nicknames, so you don’t run into that cutesy issue, and they are both names to grow with. You won’t have to worry that [name]Julia[/name] will be embarrassed to hear her nickname as a teenager!

[name]Margo[/name] - [name]Margo[/name]'s become more prominent around Nameberry, but it still isn’t really a popular name. This [name]Margaret[/name] variant carries that same “pearl” meaning, but it manages to sound classic and refreshingly modern at the same time. [name]Margo[/name] isn’t a girly girl name, but it can certainly be at home on a child with a girly girl personality, if that makes any sense. You could call your [name]Margo[/name] by [name]Margo[/name], or take up any of the traditional [name]Margaret[/name] nicknames ([name]Maggie[/name], [name]Meg[/name]) or the more bold choices ([name]Pearl[/name], [name]Daisy[/name]). [name]Emmy[/name] and [name]Pearl[/name] is incredibly sweet, whereas [name]Emmy[/name] and [name]Meg[/name] sounds a bit stronger. However, [name]Emory[/name] and [name]Margo[/name] seem perfectly at home together, too.

So, I think that’s all I’ve got for you, then! What did I suggest? [name]Alice[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Helen[/name], [name]Julia[/name], and [name]Margo[/name] - do any of those appeal to you and your husband, and Miss [name]Emmy[/name]? Hopefully, something strikes your eye. If not, we can keep helping you find that perfect name for [name]Emmy[/name]'s sister! I think that many of your names would be at home as middle names, as [name]Alice[/name] [name]Violet[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Clara[/name], [name]Frances[/name] [name]Katherine[/name], [name]Grace[/name] [name]Violet[/name], [name]Helen[/name] [name]Violet[/name], [name]Julia[/name] [name]Katherine[/name], and [name]Margo[/name] [name]Violet[/name] are all beautiful choices! Best of luck to you.

Wow, [name]Lemon[/name], you hit the nail on the head!!

Let’s see, [name]Alice[/name] is a name I really adore, but DH doesn’t like it and I’m not a fan of [name]Ali[/name].

[name]Frances[/name] is a family name and one that was on the list for [name]Emmy[/name], but we didn’t particularly like a lot of the nn’s. I have seen on here [name]Fritzi[/name] for a nn, and I do like that. I’m going to put [name]Frances[/name] back on the contendors list. I agree with you about it’s style being appropriate with [name]Emory[/name], while it still being underused yet classic.

[name]Margo[/name] is a name I [name]LOVE[/name]. [name]Haven[/name]'t really had too many convo’s with DH about it, though. [name]Will[/name] have to check back on that one. We really loved [name]Maggie[/name], but [name]Margaret[/name] was out because, well, we don’t think it’s ‘that’ pretty.

I really love [name]Sarah[/name]. [name]Just[/name] [name]Sarah[/name]. I will have to think about that one and have DH revisit it as well.

I really do appreciate your thoughtful suggestions. Keep it coming!!

[name]How[/name] do you feel about [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Mary[/name] or [name]Molly[/name]?

[name]Maeve[/name] and [name]Emory[/name] would be a lovely sibset!

Or, instead of [name]Julia[/name], what about [name]Juliet[/name]? I really like the [name]Jules[/name] nn.

Oh, goodness - I’ve been trying to log in all night and NB wouldn’t let me! Okay, I’m here at last.

I’m so glad that [name]Frances[/name], [name]Margo[/name], and [name]Sarah[/name] are staying on - or being added to - your list for daughter #2! I think all three are great with [name]Emmy[/name]'s name. I personally am not loving the [name]Fritzi[/name] nickname - it sounds slightly poodle-ish to me, honestly! - but she’s yours to name! [name]Margo[/name] is such a unique and interesting, yet still classic choice, right? And, you could definitely call her [name]Maggie[/name], I think, should you so choose. I’m also of the opinion that [name]Margaret[/name] isn’t the most lovely name out there - despite the fact that I’m a [name]Maggie[/name] lover, [name]Margaret[/name] got kicked off my list. And, [name]Sarah[/name] - always a good choice! As I said, it is my twin sister’s name, so I’m biased, but I think it is like [name]Julia[/name] - a near perfect choice!

Yes, [name]Juliet[/name] would definitely work for [name]Jules[/name] if [name]Julia[/name] isn’t for you. [name]Julia[/name] is still rather feminine, yet it seems more classic whereas [name]Juliet[/name] is slightly more romantic. Thus, I’d choose [name]Julia[/name] over [name]Juliet[/name] to go with [name]Emory[/name]. However, the difference is subtle, so it really just depends which name you like more. If that is [name]Juliet[/name], add her to the list! [name]Emmy[/name] and [name]Jules[/name] is too cute.

Of [name]Maeve[/name], [name]Mary[/name], and [name]Molly[/name], I like [name]Molly[/name] best. [name]Maeve[/name] is nice, but its Irish heritage makes it feel slightly out of place with [name]Emory[/name]. Plus, there are absolutely no nickname options for [name]Maeve[/name] - does that bother you? I like [name]Maeve[/name], and I like its sound with [name]Emory[/name], but something doesn’t click for me there. [name]Mary[/name], honestly, sounds too much like [name]Emory[/name] and [name]Emmy[/name] for my liking. [name]Molly[/name] is a [name]Mary[/name] diminutive, so I would’ve said to name her [name]Mary[/name] and call her [name]Molly[/name], but I don’t think that is a good plan, to be frank. Plus, [name]Mary[/name] feels very vintage in comparison to [name]Emory[/name] - that, coupled with the similar sound issue, would nix that name for me. Sorry! [name]Molly[/name] is cute, but it feels a bit insubstantial to me.

So, what is your list looking like now? When’s this little girl due to arrive? Best of luck!

PS [name]Do[/name] you have other family names, like [name]Elizabeth[/name], that you’d be interested in using as middle names. Especially any ones that might be alliterative with the names on your list? [name]Emory[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is such a fun alliterative name - you might want to do it again!

[name]Emmy[/name] & [name]Ava[/name] go well together, great actually! If it’s your favorite despite its popularity, I say go for it!

I wouldn’t pick [name]Katherine[/name] as a first name if I were you since it’s your niece’s name. I might consider it as a middle.

Not a stupid reason not to use [name]Clara[/name]. I see your point, but it does help that [name]Clara[/name] is a “c” sound and [name]Charlie[/name] is a “ch”. You could probably get away with it.

I love [name]Ruth[/name]/[name]Rue[/name]/[name]Ruthie[/name]! It’s totally not weird to have two children who go by nicknames. Would [name]Charlie[/name]'s real name be [name]Charles[/name]? If so, you’d have three! I think it’s pretty normal.

I don’t think [name]Violet[/name]'s too trendy. It fits right in with the Emorys and Avas.

I like [name]Olive[/name] too:)

I don’t have any suggestions for you because you’ve picked great ones all by yourself!

Hey, [name]Emory[/name]'s Mommy! I thought of a few more you might like:

[name]Ada[/name] - [name]Addie[/name]?
[name]Beatrice[/name] - [name]Bea[/name]?
[name]Bridget[/name] - [name]Birdie[/name]?
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] - [name]Jo[/name]? [name]Joey[/name]? [name]Josie[/name]?
[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Martha[/name] - [name]Marty[/name]? [name]Marcie[/name]? [name]Patsy[/name]?
[name]Matilda[/name] - [name]Mattie[/name]? [name]Tillie[/name]? [name]Tilda[/name]?
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Willa[/name] - [name]Billie[/name]? [name]Willie[/name]?

[name]Katherine[/name] [name]Violet[/name] would go beautifully with [name]Emory[/name]. (Or [name]Violet[/name] [name]Katherine[/name].)